• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

All Time Country ODI Teams ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'd have him fairly comfortably in a 1990-2007 second team, myself. Probably as the lead seamer.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'd have him fairly comfortably in a 1990-2007 second team, myself. Probably as the lead seamer.

Grrr. but the thread title is all time team, so the players before 1990 must be included.

McGrath
Lee
Fleming
McDermott
Bracken
Lillee

Are clearly all ahead - I would then pick Reiffel, O'Donnell, chuck in Warney and a bowler like Peter Taylor and he's missed out on the second team easily.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But I don't see the point in all-time ODI sides, 'cos it blurs two totally different things.

So I was just talking about 1990-2007.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But I don't see the point in all-time ODI sides, 'cos it blurs two totally different things.

So I was just talking about 1990-2007.
Yes, but he wasn't. It's hard to argue what he said about Gillespie not making a third all-time team just because you'd rather believe everything before 1990 happened. He was using a different criteria, which is why he got different results. IMO you should either change your criteria to adjust to us before you argue his point, or respectfully let the issue go due to the difference.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Given that I mentioned 1990-2007 right at the start of the exchange, though, I'd kinda presumed he was going along with me.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Given that I mentioned 1990-2007 right at the start of the exchange, though, I'd kinda presumed he was going along with me.

I knew what you meant. But I was laughing at Gillespies selection in all time Australia side, so I don't see how you thought I wasn't getting him enough credit, because there is no logical way to explain his inclusion in the ODI side. I liked Gillespie he was one of my favourite players, but as everyone knows he performed a lot better in Tests, in all facets of the game TBH.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
That team I posted wasn't my actual team btw, just one I tried to remember out of AOC's best XI, I think I got it slightly wrong, but in essence that was the side.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
West Indies

Desmond Haynes
Gordon Greenidge
Viv Richards
Brian Lara
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Chris Gayle
Carl Hooper
Ridley Jacobs/Jeff Dujon
Malcolm Marshall
Curtly Ambrose
Joel Garner
Michael Holding/Courtney Walsh

Chanderpaul is a contender as well.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
South Africa:

Barry Richards
Herschelle Gibbs
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Clive Rice
Jonty Rhodes
Mike Procter
Lance Klusener
Mark Boucher
Shaun Pollock
Allan Donald

12th man: Allan Kourie

Lethal side this..

YankeeAlpha

Cricket Spectator
Pakistan XI

1.Saeed Anwar
2.Aamir Sohail
3.Javed Miandad
4.Mo Yo
5.Inzamam
6.Imran Khan*
7.Moin Khan
8.Wasim Akram
9.Waqar Younis
10.Saqlain Mushtaq
11.Shoaib Akhtar

pretty modern day look to the team..can't help but feel ive missed sum1 out?!lol

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
South Africa:

Barry Richards
Herschelle Gibbs
Jacques Kallis
Graeme Pollock
Clive Rice
Jonty Rhodes
Mike Procter
Lance Klusener
Mark Boucher
Shaun Pollock
Allan Donald

12th man: Allan Kourie

Lethal side this..
TBF, most people only pick ODI sides featuring players who played ODIs.

Slifer

International Captain
WI:

Haynes
Greenidge
Richards*
Lara
Sarwan
Gayle
Jacobs+
Holding
Ambrose
Roberts
Garner

12th man: Roger Harper

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yes, they have. But if this is a team for all eras, then Gayle would be ahead. He is a handy bowler as well.

Unlike my test ratings, which factor in the change in pitch conditions, I have no weighting for ODI players depending on eras. It's just the style of cricket that has changed, not really the conditions (although some could argue that boundaries have become shorter, etc.).

I once tried to factor in a percentage difference for players before 1990, but whilst it meant that Haynes and Greenidge rose in the batting ratings, Garner lost his no.1 bowling rating. You can't have it both ways, it seems.

Fiery

Banned
Yes, they have. But if this is a team for all eras, then Gayle would be ahead. He is a handy bowler as well.

Unlike my test ratings, which factor in the change in pitch conditions, I have no weighting for ODI players depending on eras. It's just the style of cricket that has changed, not really the conditions (although some could argue that boundaries have become shorter, etc.).

I once tried to factor in a percentage difference for players before 1990, but whilst it meant that Haynes and Greenidge rose in the batting ratings, Garner lost his no.1 bowling rating. You can't have it both ways, it seems.
DWTA. You could never convince me Gayle > Greenidge or Haynes. You may be too young to have seen them play. Gayle not in the same league as them imo