• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Zimbabwe

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmmm...this isn't that strong a SA attack tbh, is a real oppurtunity for Zimbabwe to spend time in the middle and too score runs, they'll be looking at anything over 200.
Pollock and Ntini are two of the best ODI bowlers in the world, while Morne Morkel is probably the best young fast bowler in South Africa and Thandi Tshabalala is widely regarded as South Africa's next up and coming spinner. Combine them with two effective bowling all-rounders like Vernon Philander and Johan van der Wath and I'd say their attack is reasonably strong, just unproven (apart from Ntini and Pollock) at international level.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I’m feeling South Africa’s attack but if only they would give Johan the new ball and let Shaun bowl second change. Would be an intriguing prospect if Dale Steyn could also find a place in the side, then South Africa would have three genuine speedsters.

Perm

I’m feeling South Africa’s attack but if only they would give Johan the new ball and let Shaun bowl second change. Would be an intriguing prospect if Dale Steyn could also find a place in the side, then South Africa would have three genuine speedsters.
Would be foolish to naughty that IMO, but just pointing out I did spot it ;)

van der Wath has been fairly unimpressive in the ODI appearences he has made so far, bar a couple of decent bowling efforts. He usually opens the bowling in domestic cricket, so I thought the selectors would have wanted to give him an opportunity to do so at international level.

Has anyone else been impressed with Morne Morkel? If he can sort out his no-ball issues then I think he could be a very effective replacement for Makhaya Ntini TBH.

Perm

Hate this side of cricket tbh
Gives South Africa a good opportunity to test some youngsters and different combinations, but I agree entirely. I doubt too many people could argue that Zimbabwe belong in international cricket.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
FFS that's three run outs in under 24 overs :blink:...now matter how good a fielding team the opposition team are that's a disgrace tbh.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Gives South Africa a good opportunity to test some youngsters and different combinations, but I agree entirely. I doubt too many people could argue that Zimbabwe belong in international cricket.
Belong with Scotland, Ireland, Kenya, Netherlands and the other associate teams tbh.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Has anyone else been impressed with Morne Morkel? If he can sort out his no-ball issues then I think he could be a very effective replacement for Makhaya Ntini TBH.
Morkel will be and should be Andre Nel’s replacement. Unlike Nel he will also score a fair few runs for South Africa.

And I wouldn't read too much into Johan's record, he did have tough baptism of fire in Aus but his preparation was hardly ideal and again he wasn't given the right opportunities to succeed.

Perm

FFS that's three run outs in under 24 overs :blink:...now matter how good a fielding team the opposition team are that's a disgrace tbh.
It's all been silly running really, not great fielding. Inexcusable, especially at this level.

Perm

Morkel will be and should be Andre Nel’s replacement. Unlike Nel he will also score a fair few runs for South Africa.

And I wouldn't read too much into Johan's record, he did have tough baptism of fire in Aus but his preparation was hardly ideal and again he wasn't given the right opportunities to succeed.
TBH I was thinking in 2 or 3 years time, but I didn't realise that Ntini was only 30, so should have another 5 years left in him with any luck. I think Morkel really needs to sort out his problem of giving away extras, once he does that then the selectors will start to look at him seriously as a replacement for Nel.

Agree about van der Wath, he was rushed into the squad for the VB series wasn't he? I fully expect him to emerge as a quality all-rounder for South Africa in the following years.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Agree about van der Wath, he was rushed into the squad for the VB series wasn't he? I fully expect him to emerge as a quality all-rounder for South Africa in the following years.
Problem is Van Der Wath is already nearly 30 and won't have that long left, what's the big fuss about him anyways?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Problem is Van Der Wath is already nearly 30 and won't have that long left, what's the big fuss about him anyways?
He swings the ball at 90mph and he can hit a cricket ball a ridiculously long way. He is the best kind of South African cricketer.

Last edited:

Zimdan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Im dissapointed by our performance, im actually watching the game and the run outs were indeed shocking.

Its the inexperience that has caused it. Without those run outs we would be in a good position. Taylor just took his time and even though he wasnt scoring he was just staying in and looking for the bad ball to hit, im pretty sure they were to instructions given to him before he got out.

Let see if we can get to at least 150.

Perm

Pretty much what TT Boy said. He is a pretty quick bowler who can get it to swing around and he can smash the leather off a cricket ball. An ideal #7 or #8 in any ODI team, just a shame he hasn't been given more chances really.

Zimdan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Top batting from Brent and Chigumbura, putting some of the Saffers to the sword.

The commentators are loving it, their giggling at what is happening is well funny.