• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should there be position matches in Cricket WC??

We have position matches in field hockey, then why don't we have position matches in Cricket WC.This way we will know the correct ranking of the top eight cricket team.All we have is a Final with no playoff for even the third position??

Whats the point in watching a dull game for 7 position between England and Zimb/Bang ??? Don't you think it will be better for such teams to take an early ride home??

Besides Cricket is not like hockey which last for an hour and 3-4 matches can easily be completed in one ground in a day.Such position matches that you have suggested would greatly prolong the tournament, its not practical!

Kimbo

International Debutant
maybe they should play a game of pool or table tennis instead. designate their best player. much shorter. pretty soon it would be pretty important for each team to have a ping pong player!
:P

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Definitely not a good idea - after being eliminated, the last thing they need is another meaningless game or 2.

Besides, for positions in the world, the ICC table is more accurate as it isn't just based on one-off games!

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
We can already see the top four cant we ? semi-finalists are the top teams of the Tournament Not necessarily the overall ranking anyway.

Rich2001

International Captain
No also - My reason

Cricket is quite offten a game of luck and you will never find a true list... I mean image if England suddenly had a fantastic day and Australia got beaten by us, would you really accept that England where better than Australia... I highly doubt it!!!!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Rich2001 said:
No also - My reason

Cricket is quite offten a game of luck and you will never find a true list... I mean image if England suddenly had a fantastic day and Australia got beaten by us, would you really accept that England where better than Australia... I highly doubt it!!!!
Australia having a total stinker would also be needed here...

Nope - they wouldn't count for much, and there wouldn't be that much effort put in or prestige attached to them - see Rugby and Football Position Matches, for example.