• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bad over rates, a blight on Test cricket

pasag

RTDAS
Even before the recent Test, it was always something that really ground my gears so to speak. I can't stand the time wasting, the ball shining, the extravagant field changing every ball, the discussions and whatnot. Wouldn't mind seeing some statistics on which are the worst teams, but quite frankly for me, it's the worst thing by a fair distance in cricket atm.

Thoughts?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It doesn't really bother me that much, actually. Once it becomes evident at the end of the match that we've lost overs for no particular reason, it annoys me a tad, but nowhere near to the degree that it does a lot of others. I like the slower, more relaxed-yet-tense pace of cricket, and I like to observe the field changes and have time to think about them. I also like to be able to post on CW in between balls. :p

So really, while it's obviously a problem for many, I never took issue with it.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Yeah same, not something that has ever bothered me. It can be a bit annoying when it's excessive, like a bowler taking 10 minutes to get through an over, but in general if the over rate is a bit slower than it should be to get 90 overs in a day, I'm not bothered by it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Even before the recent Test, it was always something that really ground my gears so to speak. I can't stand the time wasting, the ball shining, the extravagant field changing every ball, the discussions and whatnot. Wouldn't mind seeing some statistics on which are the worst teams, but quite frankly for me, it's the worst thing by a fair distance in cricket atm.

Thoughts?
There is no excuse for slow over rates. You are professional cricketers! Severe penalties should be imposed really and I don't mean in terms of money - that doesn't hurt the rich cricketers as much. Penalise them by banning the captains for a few matches. I would like the teams hurt by cutting down their runs too by devising some basis but a problem with tht is that it favours the team bowling last. Only with severe penalties which really hurt players and teams can this nonsense be shut out of cricket- and it is a nonsense. You are giving the paying public less for no fathomable reason except that you are unprofessional. It can also have a hindering effect on the match being played, again, for no excusable reason.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I blame batsmen for slow over rates TBH, they take forever to get ready to face the ball. Gardening pitches, checking the fielding, checking their guard etc there are some batsmen that do it every ball. Jayasuriya crap he does after he hits fours. I remember a match in State cricket where Mike Hussey walked to square leg every ball to compose himself before the bowler bowled. The amount of times i've been ready to bowl, either bowling pace or spin and the batsmen isn't ready pissing the crap out of me. The batsmen are just to blame IMO, they also take too long to get out to middle. Then once they are out their they have to do all their crap. Its all the batsmen fault IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There is no excuse for slow over rates. You are professional cricketers! Severe penalties should be imposed really and I don't mean in terms of money - that doesn't hurt the rich cricketers as much. Penalise them by banning the captains for a few matches. I would like the teams hurt by cutting down their runs too by devising some basis but a problem with tht is that it favours the team bowling last. Only with severe penalties which really hurt players and teams can this nonsense be shut out of cricket- and it is a nonsense. You are giving the paying public less for no fathomable reason except that you are unprofessional. It can also have a hindering effect on the match being played, again, for no excusable reason.
Absolutely, have thought that for years. Piddling little financial penalties are so obviously having no effect - you need runs penalties, simple as. That would put a stop to it. Bowling 15 overs per hour is not remotely difficult, people managed 20 an hour 40-odd years ago.

That said, shining the ball is essential and one of the things that annoys me most is people not doing it properly. :p Especially when I'm playing.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I blame batsmen for slow over rates TBH, they take forever to get ready to face the ball. Gardening pitches, checking the fielding, checking their guard etc there are some batsmen that do it every ball. Jayasuriya crap he does after he hits fours. I remember a match in State cricket where Mike Hussey walked to square leg every ball to compose himself before the bowler bowled. The amount of times i've been ready to bowl, either bowling pace or spin and the batsmen isn't ready pissing the crap out of me. The batsmen are just to blame IMO, they also take too long to get out to middle. Then once they are out their they have to do all their crap. Its all the batsmen fault IMO.
I think its pretty rare that a batsman holds up the proceedings. Usually the batsman is milling around while the bowler is getting ready. By the time the bowler is ready, it's rare to see a batsman not set.