• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most boring & the most Stylish Batsman

Who is most Stylish Batsman?

• Total voters

Athlai

Not Terrible
Very true...
Scott "The Virus" Styris

He's got everything, handy with the ball, great with the bat, super cool name.
But he's not a pretty man.

And on a more on topic note, I'd say he can tread the line between boring and stylish cricket as he plays exactly the way NZ needs him to play.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Most Stylish - Damien Martyn, Sachin Tendulkar, Michael Vaughan, Mohhamad Yousuf, Justin Langer always had a bit of poetic beauty about him, Ricky Ponting

Most Un-Stylish - Scott Styris, Dinesh Khartick, Chanderpaul, Darren Ganga, Upal Thuranga

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I guess this is one of those where it all depends on an invidual's definition of "style". I, for example, have always considered Ricky Ponting an exilharating strokeplayer, but I wouldn't necessarily call him one of the more "stylish" batsmen I've seen in the manner of a Greg Chappell, Zaheer Abbas or Mark Waugh. I always thought David Gower had great style about his batting as well.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Assuming we mean current players : Stylish - KP
Un stylish - Kallis - because I think he is capable of more stylish batting than he produces. He plays entertaining innings occaisonally which makes one wonder why he can't do it more often.

pasag

RTDAS
Would rather watch Ponting more than anyone, as a personal preference. Vaughan is probably one of the most stylish going around these days.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Mohammed Yousuf is about as stylish as it gets imo, along with Vaughan, Tendulkar, Sangakkara and Ponting.

Hayden is easily the most unstylish imo.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Mahela Jayawardene for Style, But KP and Ponting up there too for me.

Ian Bell at times, can be quite boring too watch, but also quite stylish.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Stylish - Vaughan and Samuels

Boring - Cook, Bell, Strauss, Prior, Collingwood, etc...........:ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But I've even seen him take a huge stride and smash the ball through extra-cover before now, too!

I mean, I'm not saying he's exactly what I'd call an attractive strokeplayer (though I have seen worse) but he's more than capable of moving his feet.

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
Agreed on all counts. Definitely not attractive but you won't go blind seeing him bat although I'm sure Cribb is close to it.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
As people have implied, there are at least three issues here -- style, boringness and excitement.

Style -- a conventional stroke-player can be very stylish no matter their scoring rate, e.g. Gower, Tendulkar, Aravinda or Mahela could score 20 from 87 and still be stylish. Classic stylish shots include exquisite cover drives and delicate square cuts.

Excitement -- something happens, be it a huge six, a run-out attempt from a crazy single, or an edge over the slips. This may not be stylish in any way, shape or form, but it's exciting -- it gets you on the edge of your seat. Some players just make things happen when they're in, e.g. KP, Freddie, Symonds, Afridi. The sweep and hook are certainly exciting shots, but they're seldom stylish.

Boringness -- not the opposite of style, or of excitement, but the absence of both. Atapattu and Richardson are classically boring players. Think back foot defensive or running it to mid-on for a single.

Some batsmen just eke out the runs without playing classical or exciting shots. The guys like Collingwood and Waugh. The guys who play percentage strokes to most balls -- no fishing outside off-stump, but no exquisite cover drives either. They're not necessarily boring, but they'll certainly not be exciting or stylish.

Of course, it's all grey areas, and circumstances can dictate matters -- even the most boring batsman in the world could keep you glued to the TV set if 10 runs were needed from the last over of a Test match with one wicket left and a rabbit at the other end. Likewise, even the most stylish player could bore you to tears if he's trying to bat for two days solid in order to save a Test.