Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Who is most Stylish Batsman?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ricky Ponting

    11 31.43%
  • Kevin Pieterson

    12 34.29%
  • Mudammad Yousuf

    6 17.14%
  • Mahela Jayawardne

    6 17.14%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 167

Thread: Most boring & the most Stylish Batsman

  1. #31
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    I think a wicket being taken can be brilliant stuff. Balls flying around at great speeeds gets the blood pumping a bit more than a ball rolling slowly back up the pitch eh?

    Whether it hits the wicket, the boundary or is caught by a player its interesting, changes the outcome of the match.
    But I don't remotely enjoy seeing a player batting like **** and making himself look utterly foolish, which Afridi does with regularity.

    I like seeing high-calibre cricket, and if it's so gutter-standard as that, I can't really enjoy any aspect of it.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  2. #32
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Yeah coming in at no.6 to take advantage of the death overs.
    1 from 9 would be a match winner in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    420 BLAZE IT
    [Zorax on Burgey]
    Quote Originally Posted by zorax View Post
    Wish I could articulate myself all over your face tbh
    And they say romance is dead.

  3. #33
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    But I don't remotely enjoy seeing a player batting like **** and making himself look utterly foolish, which Afridi does with regularity.

    I like seeing high-calibre cricket, and if it's so gutter-standard as that, I can't really enjoy any aspect of it.
    Thats what you like, yet thats not excitement, thats enjoyment.

  4. #34
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,831
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    1 from 9 would be a match winner in my opinion.
    Maybe, but Gillespie would get us there quicker.

    Oh and with regards to Afridi, seeing him get out stupidly is entertaining as we can all laugh at his IQ. If he does play a big innings then we can all jump around like the Afridi worshippers that gave us our severe injuries for having laughed at his IQ earlier...
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh


  5. #35
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Maybe, but Gillespie would get us there quicker.

    Oh and with regards to Afridi, seeing him get out stupidly is entertaining as we can all laugh at his IQ. If he does play a big innings then we can all jump around like the Afridi worshippers that gave us our severe injuries for having laughed at his IQ earlier...
    Ah the Gillespie innings, a perfect example of excitement in cricket. How many mis hits did he score off? And then when he hit a legitimate boundary the crowd (and very probably nation) went bonkers.

  6. #36
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Thats what you like, yet thats not excitement, thats enjoyment.
    The two are intertwined, though, no?

  7. #37
    Request Your Custom Title Now! NUFAN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Marrickville
    Posts
    25,171
    I voted for Ponting, instantly, but now I'm not so sure.

    I think Ponting is awesome, but the way he defends down the pitch on the leg side is an ugly (but effective enough) shot that he plays, which to me isn't as stylish as some of the other players mentioned.

    If we were watching just a highlights package it would be Ponting for mine.

    I think Tendulkar should be added to the poll btw.

  8. #38
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    The two are intertwined, though, no?
    I enjoy a cool glass of scotch, I am not excited by a cool glass of scotch. A loud bang by my ear when I don't expect it excites me, I do not enjoy said loud bang.

    They can fall together but excitement tends to branch away just from things that are fun and that you like. Excitement is more of a word that invokes a reaction, it makes you want to move, in this case move around in your seat and yell at the television, boo hiss and cheer with the game. While enjoyment can also be something you are perfectly relaxed with, like watching an easy paced 200 run partnership by your favourite players.

    You don't have to like being excited but hey! I'd like you to appreciate that players of his mould are 'exciting'. Like an explosion.

  9. #39
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Interesting definition of exciting, wouldn't say it's one I'd ever thought about before, TBH - wouldn't consider a loud bang in my ear excited me at all.

    But no, the potential of watching Afridi throw his wicket away for the umpteenth time doesn't really, I wouldn't say, excite me at all - it's just a "here-we-go-again, let's get this rubbish over with" feeling I get.

  10. #40
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Interesting definition of exciting, wouldn't say it's one I'd ever thought about before, TBH - wouldn't consider a loud bang in my ear excited me at all.

    But no, the potential of watching Afridi throw his wicket away for the umpteenth time doesn't really, I wouldn't say, excite me at all - it's just a "here-we-go-again, let's get this rubbish over with" feeling I get.
    Frightened and excited can fall in the same category oddly enough. You can become excited by a terrible event, BUT word play has no more relevance to this discussion.

    I understand how you see it really, Afridi has never been a huge favourite of mine as he is more of a wicket chucker than a legitimate hitter for me. Chris Cairns would be my definition of an exciting player.

  11. #41
    123/5 Flem274*'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    lockie ferguson should get a side gig with brazzers
    Posts
    40,831
    Oh no, not a definition war. I don't want to have to get a dictionary to follow this argument damn it!

  12. #42
    International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    2,112
    Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I voted for Ponting, instantly, but now I'm not so sure.

    I think Ponting is awesome, but the way he defends down the pitch on the leg side is an ugly (but effective enough) shot that he plays, which to me isn't as stylish as some of the other players mentioned.

    If we were watching just a highlights package it would be Ponting for mine.

    I think Tendulkar should be added to the poll btw.

    I dont find Ponting a very aesthetically pleasing batsman, his audacious methods and the rate at which he scores are exciting, the way he punches good length balls most players would defend straight for four and his array of pull shots is entertaining, but I've never considered him a 'pretty' batsman.
    The shovel backlift and the shuffle in his footwork look a little ungainly compared to the likes of Flemming, Dravid, M Waugh, etc.
    Much the same (although not quite as bad) as Hayden, ugly but effective.

    As for Afridi, it depends of whether the question is 'most entertaining' or 'most stylish', I consider myself one of these old cricket stuck-in-the-muds who'd much rather watch an elegant purposeful innings than some bloke run out and swing from the ass with very little tact at all. But even I must admit, when Afridi bats I sit up in my seat and pay attention, because he brings action to the game, you know he's going to either slay the bowling or (most likely) get out pretty soon, gets the adrenalin pumping and ups the tempo of the game for better or worse.

    But seeing as the title of the thread was 'most stylish' I must discount him for although he may be entertaining I can assure you Afridi's batting has bugger-all style or class.

  13. #43
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Oh no, not a definition war. I don't want to have to get a dictionary to follow this argument damn it!
    Can you tell I'm gunning for an English scholarship this year?
    (As well as an all round excellence scholarship, and maybe even a Drama one...)

    Yay for a double major in English and Film!

  14. #44
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Frightened and excited can fall in the same category oddly enough. You can become excited by a terrible event, BUT word play has no more relevance to this discussion.
    Indeed, but it's interesting nonetheless. Had never really thought about the matter before and might just do so now.
    I understand how you see it really, Afridi has never been a huge favourite of mine as he is more of a wicket chucker than a legitimate hitter for me. Chris Cairns would be my definition of an exciting player.
    Absolutely. Cairns was a batsman who happened to be capable of smashing the ball one hell of a long way (and quite often) but usually did it by playing proper strokes rather than just swinging randomly.

  15. #45
    Not Terrible Athlai's Avatar
    Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Runner-Up of \_/ Tournament 2019
    Posts
    43,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Absolutely. Cairns was a batsman who happened to be capable of smashing the ball one hell of a long way (and quite often) but usually did it by playing proper strokes rather than just swinging randomly.
    And his fudge isn't half bad.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. my team
    By bugssy in forum Battrick
    Replies: 68
    Last Post: 18-04-2007, 07:00 AM
  2. CW Annual Awards - Afridi
    By adharcric in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-01-2007, 06:44 PM
  3. Archived [18/10/06] : Battrick
    By DJellett in forum Battrick
    Replies: 10623
    Last Post: 17-10-2006, 01:20 PM
  4. Most boring batsman in the world
    By Shabash Tapash in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 02:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •