• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Bangladesh 7 months off

brockley

International Captain
to their next test series,all they have is the 20/20 championships.
So expect them to play heaps of games against zimbabwe,kenya and the minnows for the next 7 months.
Since they have played 2 series in 4 months and before that no test cricket for 12 months,i expect them to be fresh and fill their time playing the minnows.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Better they are not stinking up the place anyway.

Seriouly, how are they going to get any better if they take 7 months off playing test cricket. And I though NZ's schedule was pretty bare.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Bangas should play against Australian State Second XIs or get a team or two in one of the other Sub Continent domestic comps..

I wonder if any English County sides need a good left arm swing bowler. Syed Rasel would be a perfect choice..

brockley

International Captain
Hope they do something for that 7 months,seriously their skills will be wasted away without 7 months of cricket.
They play as little cricket as it is.
Maybe a one day series vs ireland.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The problem for Bangladesh is that there is no sides that really need/want to play them over the next six months or so. The 2-3 years before their 12 month gap from Test Cricket, majority of the sides sorted out their required fixtures they needed against Bangladesh.

During those 2-3 years they played more Tests then most other Test playing nations. So now most sides have played the matches they needed to against Bangladesh for this 5 year period. So until they are required to play Bangladesh again they wont get many matches. I reckon after this they will have another 2-year where sides play majority of their matches and then they will have another year or so with Test matches.

The thing with all these 2-Test series is that a lot of sides will go through large period without Test matches, cus you can play most of your games in 3 years, if you only have back-to-back 2 Test match series. A lot of sides will just have 2-3 Test series every odd season and play a bucket load of one day matches, cus they can with the 5 year plan thing they have.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Yeah that's true Chaminda.

But what's stopping them from doing what I wrote earlier :taking part in a tour of Australia playing against all the second X! state sides in 4 day matches or having a team or two in the Indian or Pakistan domestic comps?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He's actually called Tharmi FTR, though I presume he minds not being called chaminda_00.
Um OK, I'm shocking with names, so I think I'll just call him Chaminda and I'll presume that he doesn't mind me calling him that...

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah that's true Chaminda.

But what's stopping them from doing what I wrote earlier :taking part in a tour of Australia playing against all the second X! state sides in 4 day matches or having a team or two in the Indian or Pakistan domestic comps?
Money, they would get more playing against Ireland, Kenya, Zimbabwe etc in ODIs especially at home. You have to remember to keep funding development of young players so they are one day up to Test standard you need continual investment and the ICC doesn't provide enough so you have produce it yourself.

The thing with FC tours, is the fact that Bangladesh A have been on quite a few with tours of England, West Indies and India. They have taken part in FC comps in the West Indies and India. But due to the lack of depth in Bangladesh cricket, most of the A players are a long way behind even your average FC cricketer in those countries. So there no real benefit for Bangladesh players to get smashed every match and the home countries have now preferred to either abondon overseas sides (like the West Indies) or go for more higher profile overseas sides, like Sri Lanka A in India.

If the full Bangladesh side went on these tours it would help their top line players significantly. But Bangladesh need these players to play ODIs so they can raise funds so they can enough money to fund the development of the next generation. Also countries like India have given them chances, but it hasn't worked for either party. So its unlikely many other countries will invite Bangladesh A to play First Class comps. When sides like England A and Sri Lanka A can play in these comps and their younger players greater challenges.

Its a big catch 22. Bangladesh A want to play in FC comps, but no wants them anymore. Bangladesh can't play in FC comps, as they need to play ODIs, as that team is their best source of income.

brockley

International Captain
Its a shame domestic competitions don't invite bangladesh they had a coup when they played in the duleep trophy,BTW who will be the overseas side for the duleep trophy this year.
South africa would be the best bet they are hosting zimbabwe A and namibia in their domestic comps this year,and zimbabwe hosted a kenya select.
I echo what charminda is saying one day tournaments will be the go thats what they did when they had a 12 month break last time.
A tour to australia to help them get used to aussie conditions would be a good idea,but the itinneris in australia are already out so don't see that happening.
Expect a few one day series against zoimbabwe to happen to keep the players in nick,altho what do you do with habibal bashar.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
You've gotta feel sorry for Bangladesh, they barely have a chance to improve in Test cricket when they are hardly playing that format of the game.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
The other thing people seem to forgot is that it wasn't so long ago people were complaining Bangladesh were having too many Test matches. If you look back at NZ entry into Test cricket, they were playing like once every six months themselves. Zimbabwe and Sri Lanka were lucky if they got more then 3 Test Series a year.

The big issue in not whether Bangladesh get to take part in domestic comps overseas or go on longer overseas tours with more FC matches. The big issue is their own domestic comps and its lack of FC fixtures. Even when New Zealand, Sri Lanka and Zimbabwe were getting little Test Cricket, their players were playing suffient FC matches back at home.

Their players struggle to improve at Test level cus they get little FC matches during their home season. More matches overseas would help, but they have to be able complete at home first. If your not getting FC matches at home you wont even know how to play on your own conditions on days 3,4 and 5.