• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best pace bowler of all time?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not really possible to say IMO. Marshall the best of the 1930-onwards lot for me, though. Though Lindwall might well have been up there too.

And very possibly better than anyone who played between 1900 and 1930, but we can't know that for certain.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath or Marshall for mine. Hard to compare those we haven't seen though.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Top 10:

1. Sidney Barnes
2. Sir Richard Hadlee
3. Glenn McGrath
4. Malcolm Marshall
5. Curtly Ambrose
6. Dennis Lillee
7. Fred Trueman
8. Imran Khan
9. Allan Donald
10. Wasim Akram

JBMAC

State Captain
Top 10:

1. Sidney Barnes
2. Sir Richard Hadlee
3. Glenn McGrath
4. Malcolm Marshall
5. Curtly Ambrose
6. Dennis Lillee
7. Fred Trueman
8. Imran Khan
9. Allan Donald
10. Wasim Akram
What is your criteria for a "top ten"? Few names missing from that list.
1.Spofforth
2.Walsh
3.Roberts
4.Hall
5.Griffiths
6.Larwood
7.Davidson
8.Miller
9.Lindwall
10.P.Pollock

All of these were great fast bowlers and this is NOT an alternative list...just another list of ten...and I could come up with a lot more.:laugh: Typo should have been P.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
Those are based on my ratings. Yes, I could do a top 20 or a top 30 easily. But, I couldn't be bothered.

And I didn't know that Graeme could roll his arm over so well.