• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best pace bowler of all time?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
U r biased towards Imran and I am biased towards Wasim ,to say an example . So it will reflect the poll ,who we actually like.
But then we can say that about every single post that all those who vote for anyone atall are biased :)

I actually started this to assess which way the Pakistani fane vote. :happy:

funnygirl

State Regular
Why should I be biased towards Imran by the way?

U belong to that generation and naturally people like Imran must be ur heroes .Once u became fan of some one ,u can't change that .
BTW ,i am not a pakistani .I am an Indian.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
U belong to that generation and naturally people like Imran must be ur heroes .Once u became fan of some one ,u can't change that .
BTW ,i am not a pakistani .I am an Indian.
I did not know whether you are a pakistani or an Indian but thabks for telling me. :)

No I dont have Imran as a hero. Far from it. I do not put Imran on as high a pedestal as some people who are younger than my sons do here :)

Yes I think Imran was a better bowler than Wasim but I dont think it has anything to do with his beingfrom my generation. If you have had a look at any 'all time' teams I may have posted you wont find many people from my generation.

I have got into some long winded debates over how good an all rounder Imran was with myself NOT thinking he was one of the best.

No. I wouldnt say I am biased in favour of Imran. :) Yes I think very highly of him as a bowler and I think history will too.

funnygirl

State Regular
Okay ,a lot of Imran's peers also rated Wasim as a better bowler as well . Basically three areas which i found Imran is superior to wasim ,obviously three important ones .

Like fitness;; Imran a supremely fit athelete with extreme stamina (Wasim on the other hand had a very dubious stop start fitness which prompted him to reduce his run up and pace ,which he made up with his variation)

Dedication ; Imran was extremely hard working and dedicated compared to a rather lazy Wasim bounded with controversies also .

Proffesionalis ; Imran had an Aussie proffesionalistic attitude ,where wasim was never.More of indisciplined .

With Wasim lacking all these key ingredients , had troubled the best of his generation with his atristry ,not from a long run up and blistering high jump .But with an easy effortless run up. Or he made fast bowling look so simple but with devastating effect and with artistry.

When watching Imran i felt the guy putting so much effort on his bowling (not a bad thing at all) .But when watching Wasim the guy is so effortless .

Or Wasim can produce some absolute stunners without giving much effort into that .

Thats why i prefer Wasim more than Imran.

Bhupinder, a hypothetical scenario for you:

The ICC decides tonight that the WSC Supertests and the Australia/England v RoW series' in the early 70s are now going to be officially acknowledged as Tests, with subsequent adjustment of Test figures for all players involved.

Given the importance you (and others, for that matter) attach to the numbers when determining a player’s quality, would your opinion of all the affected players change based on how much better/worse their Test stats became as a result of the new adjustments?

Not having a go at you here either mate – I’m genuinely curious. :)
No,I don't think my opinions will change even if those Aus/Eng vs ROW are acknowledged as Tests:) .I don't consider just plain stats but properly analyzed statistics after taking all the possible variables into consideration.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
No,I don't think my opinions will change even if those Aus/Eng vs ROW are acknowledged as Tests:) .I don't consider just plain stats but properly analyzed statistics after taking all the possible variables into consideration.
Fair enough mate, thanks for clarifying. :)