Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Soper and Clarke nominated

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    That's a small glimmer of hope in my mind, and always was.

There are two concerns, though:
    1, the next deal will be struck in 2008, and it's highly unlikely any free-to-air production companies will bid then, so the value of the next deal will be tiny compared to the pot of gold we had on offer in 2004.
    2, it's a moot point whether the BBC will even want cricket in 2012 (for effect in 2014), as it will by then have been off mass-audience TV for 7 years. Will they feel the audience has disappeared? And worse still, how little will they be prepared to bid and will Sky simply outbid them again?

I can't help but worry that the damage might have been done already, and that English cricket might be dead in 30 years' time.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Debutant SpaceMonkey's Avatar
    If the ratings for Sky are good then you wont have a chance of them getting outbid. (well maybe only by the other Sports channel Setanta?).

The payoff for Sky will be the next Ashes series as well as this one with India. Lets be frank about it, CH4 had no interest in extending the cricket until the 2005 Ashes boosted their ratings.

Saying cricket may be dead in 30-years has absolutely no basis whatsoever.

It does actually - those who have feet in the camps of both broadcasting analysis and cricket fandom think it's a potential catastrophe and they're the best placed to comment. The optimists aren't, because they have no basis other than "it can't happen like that".

Sky's viewing-figures are invariably far, far lower than any free-to-air channel. One twentieth of the country have Sky Sports. Nonetheless, it's very unlikely the BBC are going to be bidding again, so Sky won't be needing to raise the stakes to outbid anyone.

C4 contributed, hugely, to cricket and its wellbeing. They poured money into several projects outside direct coverage, as well as producing high-calibre coverage despite large losses on their part. No, they had no interest in continuing the deal when bidding was opened in 2004, but that's wholly understandible given the losses they suffered (and those any channel reliant on commercial income would).
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

The thing about C4 that puzzled me was their interest went down as the England team's performance improved. TBH, after England's performances in their first year (1999) if I was running C4 I'd have been thinking "what the f*** have we let ourselves in for" but they maintained their interest. S Hughes thinks - and so do I - that C4 diverted their resources into the abomination that is "Big Brother" and that is how they lost interest - and not just in cricket. I've got a friend who was a fan of "Lost and it went to Sky - probably, as in the case of cricket, because C4 was pouring its money down the BB chute.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.
    Ian Botham, Freddie Flintoff, Kevin Pietersen, Brian Laudrup, Gazza and Daniela Hantuchova....a fan of you all FOREVER!!!
    Can't wait to see Australia field a crap leg-spinner like Hollland or Hohns again.....
    Congratulations to Daniela Hantuchova on her 3rd career title....
    Bob Woolmer 1948-2007..farewell to the best coach England never had...
    Arise Sir Beefy....
    Pugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grubb...

Fred Tetanus likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Three words: What a farce! I wonder who abstained?
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

My bet's on Durham. Useless good-for-nothings.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    My bet's on Durham. Useless good-for-nothings.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Scyld Berry calls for a shake up at the ECB:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/mai.../sccomm119.xml
    But will turkeys vote for Xmas? I don't think the counties want another outsider after MacLaurin (pity. Lord Morris would have been an interesting candidate) One point. Why do people think ex crickteters would run things better? Was it not a commitee of ex cricketers that came up with "super subs"? An idea so crap even the ICC realised it was a disaster and got rid of it.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Frankly, it doesn't really matter what their background. Ex-cricketers can do a sterling job; they can do a terrible one. So can those who've never picked-up a bat in their life.

One thing I'd say is that if Michael Atherton wasn't so OTT in revolutionisation he'd probably be a perfect man to head the ECB.
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Would he want to though? If I were him I wouldn't give up my media work for a job that would get me criticized (had enough of that captaining England). And you're right Richard. He would not get elected anyway The TMG teams would vote for him but not the small counties who have had enough of change for now (I'm not saying they are right I'm just stating a fact).
    Fred Tetanus likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information