• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How much longer should Tendulkar be given?

sideshowtim

Banned
Averaging 31 over the last 3 years against the Top 8 International sides...Only 1 century in 20 matches during this period. You only need to watch him to know he is on his last legs and not the batsman he once was or anything close to it and his statistics reflect this. But how much longer will he be given? With the likes of Singh and Ghambir sitting on the sidelines, why does Tendulkar deserve a place ahead of these guys given his incredibly poor record over the last few years?

So how much longer will the Indian selectors give him? How long will Tendulkar's reputation save him for? I personally don't feel he should be lining up for India in the 2nd test of this series. If the Indian selectors dropped Sehwag who has done far better than Tendulkar over the last few years against decent competition, then they could at least show some consistency by dropping Tendulkar.

adharcric

International Coach
Tendulkar should get the second test and probably the third test to prove that he can still make a genuine contribution. Curtains after that, but the selectors will probably refuse to drop him even then. Top performances by Kaif, Sharma or Badrinath against Kenya and Zimbabwe may apply some additional pressure. Let's see how he goes at Trent Bridge.

Last edited:

deeps

International 12th Man
Probably give him till the end of this series. He has started to show some semblance of form in the warm up games/1st innings-1st test

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
This series for mine. Even if he fails in the second test, for example, I'd still have more faith in him than Yuvraj Singh to get a score in the third. If he failed in that test as well though, that'd be it for me.

sideshowtim

Banned
I just worry that it's about money for the Indian Cricket board. Wouldn't they lose an awful lot from sponsorship if Tendulkar wasn't playing test match cricket anymore?

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
He should definitely be allowed to play this series against England and then go on from there.

sideshowtim

Banned
At a certain point, but at his age I don't think we are there yet:)
Dunno about that. He's played Test cricket for what, 18 years now? That's longer than most people's careers and after 18 years in Test cricket I'd almost expect a decline...I think Tendulkar's body would be the equivalent to that of a 38 year old at the moment due to the wear and tear he would've put it under as a youngster.

archie mac

International Coach
Dunno about that. He's played Test cricket for what, 18 years now? That's longer than most people's careers and after 18 years in Test cricket I'd almost expect a decline...I think Tendulkar's body would be the equivalent to that of a 38 year old at the moment due to the wear and tear he would've put it under as a youngster.
Time will tell:)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he doesn't make a decent score in this series then he should be dropped, but I can't see the selectors doing it. Such a shame to see arguably the greatest batsman of the modern era in such a decline.

cadet018

Cricket Spectator
there is always a time when 1 shud think strongly about retiring ...... 1 or 2 performance might not be enough for him to continue playing international cricket ...... he cant play another worldcup ... so what is he waiting for .. CHINEES CHRISTMAN ??

(same goes for Inzi)

pasag

RTDAS
Don't have a huge amount of confidence in the backup, for this tour at least. Hopefully he can turn it on in the remaining Tests and prove everyone wrong (and then retire on top).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
One thing you can be rest assured of is that he ain't gonna quit at all..... It is his decision and just judging from what I have seen of him over the years (I admit, it is very very little) I don't see him coming out and saying "I am retiring now" within the next 3-4 years. His form has to go really really downhill for him to say that and even then, if he is doing well in one form, he won't retire.

Plus, Sachin is not just a player anymore. He is a brand name. His sponsors will try every trick they can, ethical or not, to make sure he remains in the team as they have a lot riding on his visibility on the TV as an international cricketer.

As to dropping him, don't see any selector doing it. Pawar is at the helm of affairs and he himself won't take kindly to it and any team selected by the selectors has to get his approval. Even if they do the hard thing and drop him (even temporarily, allowing that the great man can find his range and get back in the groove soon), the media backlash and the public outcry will all put the poor guy replacing him in a real corner.

Trust me, Tendulkar fans in India (quite a few of them, at least) won't take it kindly at all. You will see them actually praying that the replacement guy does not bat well. There is a real section of Sachin fans in India for whom he is more important than TEam India itself. You will see them burn effigies of the captain, the coach, the selectors, BCCI president, the replacement player, heck even my effigy if they read this and find one ( ;) )... There is too much riding on TEndulkar and dropping him would just mean stirring a hornet's nest and don't see that happening any time at all.

The best we can hope is that, given he will never ever be dropped, he finds his form (or at least some of it) and contributes enough for India to do well. And honestly speaking, I think he is looking good for a couple (or at least one) really good knock in this series. He just looks that slight bit fitter, more agile, hungrier and definitely more positive.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Here is one for the best prediction of the week from me...

Tendulkar to shut up the critics in the process of this England series with a few sublime knocks.

Nishant

International 12th Man
tbh, u shud then criticize the whole Indian batting line up.......including Kumble and Zaheer......:ph34r:
:laugh:

in all honesty, i would love tendulkar to find great form and play well in this series. But i remember a lot of us saying that this england tour should be his last chance to prove his critics wrong. i'll stick to that TBH. if he does not perform, then it would be better to see the younger guys come in and show what they can do.