Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How much longer should Tendulkar be given?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    One thing you can be rest assured of is that he ain't gonna quit at all..... It is his decision and just judging from what I have seen of him over the years (I admit, it is very very little) I don't see him coming out and saying "I am retiring now" within the next 3-4 years. His form has to go really really downhill for him to say that and even then, if he is doing well in one form, he won't retire.

Plus, Sachin is not just a player anymore. He is a brand name. His sponsors will try every trick they can, ethical or not, to make sure he remains in the team as they have a lot riding on his visibility on the TV as an international cricketer.

As to dropping him, don't see any selector doing it. Pawar is at the helm of affairs and he himself won't take kindly to it and any team selected by the selectors has to get his approval. Even if they do the hard thing and drop him (even temporarily, allowing that the great man can find his range and get back in the groove soon), the media backlash and the public outcry will all put the poor guy replacing him in a real corner.

Trust me, Tendulkar fans in India (quite a few of them, at least) won't take it kindly at all. You will see them actually praying that the replacement guy does not bat well. There is a real section of Sachin fans in India for whom he is more important than TEam India itself. You will see them burn effigies of the captain, the coach, the selectors, BCCI president, the replacement player, heck even my effigy if they read this and find one ( )... There is too much riding on TEndulkar and dropping him would just mean stirring a hornet's nest and don't see that happening any time at all.

The best we can hope is that, given he will never ever be dropped, he finds his form (or at least some of it) and contributes enough for India to do well. And honestly speaking, I think he is looking good for a couple (or at least one) really good knock in this series. He just looks that slight bit fitter, more agile, hungrier and definitely more positive.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Here is one for the best prediction of the week from me...

Tendulkar to shut up the critics in the process of this England series with a few sublime knocks.
    The speed at which a fielding team gets through the innings is overrated.

He probably will you know...Everytime I criticise a batsman he seems to find form out of nowhere!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    He probably will you know...Everytime I criticise a batsman he seems to find form out of nowhere!
    tbh, u shud then criticize the whole Indian batting line up.......including Kumble and Zaheer......

Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    tbh, u shud then criticize the whole Indian batting line up.......including Kumble and Zaheer......

in all honesty, i would love tendulkar to find great form and play well in this series. But i remember a lot of us saying that this england tour should be his last chance to prove his critics wrong. i'll stick to that TBH. if he does not perform, then it would be better to see the younger guys come in and show what they can do.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sideshowtim View Post
    Why haven't you won more Greigys, then?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric View Post
    Tendulkar should get the second test and probably the third test to prove that he can still make a genuine contribution. Curtains after that, but the selectors will probably refuse to drop him even then.
    I just don't know, TBH. Ever since that SA Test series he's looked like he's just a few strokes away from a massive breakthrough. Looks can be deceiving I know, but I'd hate to see him dropped at any time in this series unless he starts looking completely out of it.

If we'd won this just-completed game I'd honestly want the flattest pitch you could ever see and would almost be happy to have Plunkett and Mahmood in the team just to give him the best chance to get something big under his belt.

Because I honestly think if he could do that it'd be a monkey off the back and might see his graft in tough conditions valued more.

I'd never seen Sachin play live before Sunday, when I was lucky enough to be at Lord's to see him in action. He seemed unsure of himself, footwork and shot selection were quite tentative and it was truly a far cry from the dynamic, breathtaking strokeplayer of a few years ago. And yet there were still those touches of class, the timing and quality you just can't teach but are born with, and it was encouraging to see he still had that about him.

What I really loved though, was the genuine affection from all points of the crowd - partciularly the ovation from the MCC members as he walked out to bat. It was both inspiring and depressing - as though the love from the crowd was both an acknowledgement of his greatness but also a goodbye to an old friend who had lost his magic and was living on reputation.

I hope it's not true and I'd love nothing more than for him to peel off a mountain of runs in the next two Tests and beyond. Great sportsmen deserve to go out on their own terms. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar certainly does.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Why haven't you won more Greigys, then?
    Because he doesn't make predictions.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

People (and this is not just Blake, he's only been in charge of it for a fairly short time) often seem to give Greigys for non-Greigy-worthy stuff, though.

Often someone saying "Dravid is looking awful here" followed by him suddenly starting to look better and ending-up with 250 will get a Greigy.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend NUFAN's Avatar
    Tendulkar will make over 151 in the first innings of the second test.

As long as it takes to pack his bags.

Tendulkar was a very good player but I think his presence in the team means that someone else does not get a spot.

He was very good, but lets admit it his time has gone, it would be better if he retired gracefully instead of being dropped from the squad.

I dont buy that rubbish argument that a Tendulkar at 60-70% is better than anyone else. I think they should play Yuvraj in the test squad.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I'd never seen Sachin play live before Sunday, when I was lucky enough to be at Lord's to see him in action. He seemed unsure of himself, footwork and shot selection were quite tentative and it was truly a far cry from the dynamic, breathtaking strokeplayer of a few years ago. And yet there were still those touches of class, the timing and quality you just can't teach but are born with, and it was encouraging to see he still had that about him.

What I really loved though, was the genuine affection from all points of the crowd - partciularly the ovation from the MCC members as he walked out to bat. It was both inspiring and depressing - as though the love from the crowd was both an acknowledgement of his greatness but also a goodbye to an old friend who had lost his magic and was living on reputation.

I hope it's not true and I'd love nothing more than for him to peel off a mountain of runs in the next two Tests and beyond. Great sportsmen deserve to go out on their own terms. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar certainly does.
    Excellent post, you phrased my thoughts better than i ever could.

The problem with Tendulkar is that he's naturaly show good that even in his worst periods of form he produces shots than make you think he's about to turn the corner and get a big score. Sadly, i just can't see it happening, grandmaster time has caught up with him and he's but a shadow of the player he used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    I'd love nothing more than for him to peel off a mountain of runs in the next two Tests and beyond. Great sportsmen deserve to go out on their own terms. Sachin Ramesh Tendulkar certainly does.
    Most of us would like Sachin to score the runs and extend his career for another decade but in my heart I know that its not going to happen.

Which is why I think that he should retire before he is dropped.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Agreed, imo there's no option but for Sachin to retire, he just has to, there's no way on Earth i'm allowing the greatest batsman of his generation to be dropped and for the crowd at his last game not to know he would never grace the field of play again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information