• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Indian Cricket League thread

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
What else can Lara be doing this for except money?

TBH I don't really think it helps the ICL that much - Lara is retired, so is this league really serious about proper, competitive cricket? If they're not careful, it will just be a parade of ex-internationals: more like the American league that happened a few years back rather than World Series Cricket.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, Lara is retired but its not like he retired 10 years ago or something. He is still fit enough to play 20/20 Cricket and fitter and younger than many players that play 20/20 cricket all over the world.

Yes it most probably is about money for him and I dont see anything wrong with it. He sure is going to bring crowds to the stadium and I dont think ICL expects anything more from him. I hope Mcgrath and Warne join (as rumored) the ICL. This is not WSC, for sure and I dont think ICL intends to be it anything like WSC.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Because it's a money-making scheme which ain't about the cricket.
Oh please !! You dont know anything about it to make that kind of statement.

And can you please tell me What is ICC about ? What is ODI cricket about, what is 20/20 in England about ?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What else can Lara be doing this for except money?

TBH I don't really think it helps the ICL that much - Lara is retired, so is this league really serious about proper, competitive cricket? If they're not careful, it will just be a parade of ex-internationals: more like the American league that happened a few years back rather than World Series Cricket.
World Series Cricket was nothing more than a parade, too. All anyone wanted in both cases was the names and the faces, so as their TV stations were watched.

These leagues are run by TV companies. All that matters is the size of the audience - the organisers don't give a damn about the game of cricket and its welfare (which is fortunate because, unlike WSC, this ICL probably can't do a great deal of harm to the proper cricket which is being played elsewhere).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
hope a few matches happen in Chennai... They are apparently throwing around Pondicherry as a venue. If it is the case and BCL is playing, I will be there, for sure.... :)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Its a hit and giggle entertaniment League, fine with it TBH. I would love to watch Lara playing in a game where there's no pressure on him and he's there to have a good time (and get a little bit of green for it). Especially since he won't be constrained to a WI side that has held him back a bit in recent times.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
One of my biggest regrets as a cricket fan has been never to have watched Lara bat live. I am glad I have a chance to remove this regret now. If there aren't matches in Calcutta, I sure will will try and find time to travel else where to watch him live.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
One of my biggest regrets as a cricket fan has been never to have watched Lara bat live. I am glad I have a chance to remove this regret now. If there aren't matches in Calcutta, I sure will will try and find time to travel else where to watch him live.
you should have come to Chennai early this year, man. The match happened on a saturday or something just before the republic day. It was great fun and I didn't think 1000 bucks was too much to watch Lara at his best. :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
you should have come to Chennai early this year, man. The match happened on a saturday or something just before the republic day. It was great fun and I didn't think 1000 bucks was too much to watch Lara at his best. :)
Ah yes. :) BTW congrats on the new stadium coming up in Chennai (it is in the outskirts but should rock).

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Ah yes. :) BTW congrats on the new stadium coming up in Chennai (it is in the outskirts but should rock).
not sure abt it, tbh. That area is not famous for its drainage and water tends to get logged out there. The current stadium is fine as it is, and I think it is one of the best pitches in India when we play here in the proper season. Plus, it is only five mins walk from my house and the new one would be like a 2 hour drive away.... :(

shankar

International Debutant
I was lucky to be there too. But I was a bit disappointed that he played more 'touch' shots and less of the flamboyant stuff in that innings. Still was happy to have seen him live before his retirement.