• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greatest left-arm fast bowler?

Davo vs. Wasim: who was better?

• Alan Davidson

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • Wasim Akram

Votes: 21 72.4%
  • I can't separate them/I don't know/I don't care

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

Days of Grace

International Captain
Davo vs. Wasim Akram

Davidson:

44 matches, 186 wickets @ 20.53. Between 1958 and the end of his career he averaged 5 wickets a match @19.00. All this without a class new ball partner.

Wasim:

104 matches, 414 wickets @ 23.62. Has longetivity to his advantage. Had new ball support throughtout his career though.

Who was better?

JBMAC

State Captain
Davo vs. Wasim Akram

Davidson:

44 matches, 186 wickets @ 20.53. Between 1958 and the end of his career he averaged 5 wickets a match @19.00. All this without a class new ball partner.

Wasim:

104 matches, 414 wickets @ 23.62. Has longetivity to his advantage. Had new ball support throughtout his career though.

Who was better?
Allan Davidson....just go by averages

haroon510

International 12th Man
yep... lol i don't know what to say.. if i say wasim people would think i am baise.. if not then it isn't fair to wasim's talent..i voted for wasim but named agerker here just for the heck of it lol..

pasag

RTDAS
@ Days of Grace, when you create polls, most people prefer public polls, ie you can see who voted for what. The results are generally more meaningful then.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I think Davidson was a better overall cricketer, but Wasim was the greatest left arm pacer ever IMO. Don't know if we'll ever see another bowler who could do such things.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Davidson has to be one of the most underrated bowlers in history... not merely one of the greatest left-armers but simply one of the best bowlers, full-stop.

He's kind of the opposite to the Lillee situation - because he was so quiet and so unobtrusive (and didn't have to overcome injury) he often doesn't get the credit he deserves while others get more than they should. He did the job mangificently, at a time when many bowlers struggled too.

Days of Grace

International Captain
He averaged 19 for the later half of his career, and took a five wicket bag in 32% of the matches he played.

I wonder how fast he was?

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
He averaged 19 for the later half of his career, and took a five wicket bag in 32% of the matches he played.

I wonder how fast he was?
By all accounts he was quick without being electrifyingly so. Reports I've read generally rate him in the left arm fast-medium bracket, but say he was capable of bowling genuinely fast from time to time, some observers saying that at his quickest he was nearly as fast as Lindwall.

Though there are a few guys on here who would have seen him in action live, so I'd be interested in their thoughts.