• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Three all-time Elevens based on my ratings.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Can't resist it at the moment. School vacation is on, and there is nothing to do at the office.

First Eleven: Based on my ratings, this is the Greatest Ever Team.
1. Hobbs
2. Hutton
3. Bradman (c)
4. Ponting
5. Hammond
6. Sobers
7. Hadlee
8. Evans (wk)
9. Marshall
10. McGrath
11. Muralitharan

Note: I don't have any ratings for wicketkeepers, but I chose Evans because with Murali in the team, you would need a great keeper, and Evans was very good up at the stumps. Perhaps the best of all-time.

Second Eleven:
1. Sutcliffe
2. Gavaskar
3. Headley
4. Tendulkar
5. Lara
6. Imran Khan (c)
7. Healy (wk)
8. Warne
9. Ambrose
10. O'Reilly
11. Barnes

Healy was selected because of Warne and O'Reilly are in the team. Exciting middle order after a dour opening.

Third Eleven:
1. Hayden
2. Boycott
3. Dravid
4. Pollock
5. Mohammad Yousuf
6. Gilchrist (wk)
7. Botham
8. Lillee
9. Trueman
10. Grimmett
11. Donald

Four-prong pace attack here. Yousuf may look a bit out of place, but his rating a.t.m. gives him a place.

King Viv doesn't make it into either team. :ph34r: My ratings are based purely on stats, as there is no way to measure persona or a batsmen's ability to make you feel like grabbing for the tissues every time he hits a straight one down the ground past the bowler at a million miles an hour.

Last edited:

Julian87

State Captain
Both the second and third elevens have number eights at best batting number 6. Botham ahead of Gilchrist is quite stupid and the second 11 would quite possibly carry the longest ever tail seen in test cricket into a game.

JBMAC

State Captain
BRADMAN'S All Time Eleven

Barry Richards - South Africa
Arthur Morris - Australia
Don Bradman - Australia
Sachin Tendulkar - India
Gary Sobers - West Indies
Don Tallon - Australia
Ray Lindwall - Australia
Dennis Lillee - Australia
Alec Bedser - England
Bill O'Reilly - Australia
Clarrie Grimmett - Australia
12th man:
Wally Hammond - England

This was The Great Man's all time eleven(12). This was published AFTER his death so his reasons for such selections will never be known.Admittedly lots of Aussies there but remember it's His NOT mine.Compare it with the 3 in the thread starter.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Bradman was a bias as the day is long towards Australians. Benaud obviously had a crush on the Don, so his XI is not much better. Tallon at no.6??? FFS Don!!

Days of Grace

International Captain
Both the second and third elevens have number eights at best batting number 6. Botham ahead of Gilchrist is quite stupid and the second 11 would quite possibly carry the longest ever tail seen in test cricket into a game.
Admittedly the Gilly/Beefy order was an oversight, which has now been fixed.

However, Healy spent the majority of his career at no.7 and warney at no.8. Ambrose could hit the ball like a 1000 bast**ds when he was in the mood so I don't see too much of a problem. Think of the bowling attack lad!!!

JBMAC

State Captain
Bradman was a bias as the day is long towards Australians. Benaud obviously had a crush on the Don, so his XI is not much better. Tallon at no.6??? FFS Don!!
Maybe so...we will never know....However Tallon at six when the top 5 have you at potentially 5/450 is not really that bad and that top 5 on an average day out are capable of that score.

JBMAC

State Captain
Yeah, and what if they have a crap day on a green top?
Tallon's batting record in Tests was disappointing, partly no doubt because in such a strong and all-conquering Australian side runs were seldom needed from him. His best Test score was his 92 against England at Melbourne in 1946-47, when he and Lindwall added 154 for the eighth wicket. In first-class cricket he scored 6,034 runs (average 29.18), in Test cricket 394 runs (average 17.13( Source Wisdens)

He would have more than held his end up..note his Test 92

JBMAC

State Captain
No, I honestly hadn't :ph34r:

Do you remember Artie Dick, mate?

:laugh: at the Richardism btw
I barely know the name...looked up "The Good Book"..did not play any Tests against the Aussies..only England,Pakis and SA.
You should have known Tallon though he made his debut against the Kiwis in 1946(?) and was the Keeper in Bradmans Invincibles(1948)

Fiery

Banned
By the way...it's about time Cricinfo updated some of it's player profiles. There is no write-up for famous former NZ players like Artie Dick...Gary Bartlett is another...nothing written about these guys at all. Not good enough Cricinfo :@. Maybe there is a place for that thread you started JBMAC.

Fiery

Banned
I barely know the name...looked up "The Good Book"..did not play any Tests against the Aussies..only England,Pakis and SA.
You should have known Tallon though he made his debut against the Kiwis in 1946(?) and was the Keeper in Bradmans Invincibles(1948)
Haven't really studied the history of Australian cricket tbh. Know a bit about NZ cricket history but don't care about you Ockers :laugh:

JBMAC

State Captain
Haven't really studied the history of Australian cricket tbh. Know a bit about NZ cricket history but don't care about you Ockers :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh:

Looked up "The Good Book" on Bartlett...limited career ..did not play against us but other 4 cricketing nations seemed to go ok..Had one five/for against India...where was that played BTW?