Allan Donald

Why aren't there more Alan Donald fans?

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Beleg View Post
    Why aren't there more Alan Donald fans?
    I am a big fan, one of the best I have ever watched
    You know it makes sense.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    I love Alan Donald, one of the best even though I caught only the tail end of his career.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

I rate AD as one of the best ever - and was lucky enought to see him in his prime.

He, Waqar, and Wasim are the fast bowlers I most enjoyed watching in the 90s.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I was never fortunate enough to see him play, but I have seen a video of that incident between him and Michael Atherton and it will stick in my mind forever.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Allan Donald is my favourite seam-bowler, bar none. Even Dominic Cork and Angus Fraser I didn't enjoy seeing have success as much as him.

I only became truly aware of him in 1998, but in that year and the following he was quite patently the best seamer around, even at the age of 32 and 33. That is quite amazing.

And he was rather good for quite some time before that, too.

Should get Hingston in this thread, too, obv...
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

I've been a big fan of his until he made some very negative comments about us during the World Cup. I felt he should have been cheering us on and, maybe, even giving good advice.
    As a bowler there are very few his equal, so in that respect I will always rate him very highly.

Allan Donald is my favourite seam-bowler, bar none. Even Dominic Cork and Angus Fraser I didn't enjoy seeing have success as much as him.

I only became truly aware of him in 1998, but in that year and the following he was quite patently the best seamer around, even at the age of 32 and 33. That is quite amazing.

And he was rather good for quite some time before that, too.

Should get Hingston in this thread, too, obv...
    Slightly off topic, but regarding Cork, I was "fortunate" enough to see highlights of him bowling during the Sky rain delay fill-in (which was ridiculously shown on Foxtel despite the coverage being delayed 4 hours..) and he didn't look anything like the medium-pace nibbler that people made out. He was reasonably tall and he seemed to be getting a lot more pace than he's been given credit for on this forum.
    Last edited by Prince EWS; 04-02-2008 at 10:39 PM.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Slightly off topic, but regarding Cork, I was "fortunate" enough to see highlights of him bowling during the Sky rain delay fill-in (which was ridiculously shown on Foxtel despite the coverage being delayed 4 hours..) and he didn't look anything like the medium-pace nibbler that people made out. He was reasonably tall and he seemed to be getting a lot more pace that he's been given credit for on this forum.
    He was quick enough (at least before his injury) for batsmen not to take liberties, but unfortunately he used to get a bit carried away sometimes and tried to bounce & york everyone out which made him far less effective than he could've been if he'd bowled more of his natural length.

WRT AAD I can't help but think he'd have been more fondly remembered if he'd done the decent thing like every other saffie seems to & played for us. ()
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    WRT AAD I can't help but think he'd have been more fondly remembered if he'd done the decent thing like every other saffie seems to & played for us. ()
    Well, at least he's willing to teach your lot, so think fondly of him, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Slightly off topic, but regarding Cork, I was "fortunate" enough to see highlights of him bowling during the Sky rain delay fill-in (which was ridiculously shown on Foxtel despite the coverage being delayed 4 hours..) and he didn't look anything like the medium-pace nibbler that people made out. He was reasonably tall and he seemed to be getting a lot more pace that he's been given credit for on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby View Post
    He was quick enough (at least before his injury) for batsmen not to take liberties, but unfortunately he used to get a bit carried away sometimes and tried to bounce & york everyone out which made him far less effective than he could've been if he'd bowled more of his natural length.
    I agree with DB that he often overdid (still does, in fact) the short stuff but what injury do you speak of? To my knowledge Cork never had a serious injury in his career until 2003, when he (sadly) played half the season with a chipped bone in his ankle. Not sure what you're on with trying too hard to York everyone - the Yorker is one of his best balls and has earnt him some of his best and most spectacular dismissals. Can't see that he overdid it at all - if anything, later on he didn't really use it enough.

And regarding his speed, not sure how much you (more @ Rob now) saw of him back in t' day, but I think it's a real shame there were no accurate speedguns in 1995. He was never Donald-style pace or anything, that much is obvious, as even with Donald at 32 in 1998 he was outpacing all the Englishmen. But he was still mostly in the early 80s (late 70s at the slowest) (mph speak obv) in 2000 and I wonder how many people on this forum (esp non-Brits) have formed inaccurate impressions of his speeds. His speeds are probably little different to, for instance, Mohammad Asif or Glenn McGrath (for most of his career - remember he was still occasionally hitting 90mph in WC99).

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Also loved his trash talk. Got into the head of Dravid and took his wicket, which is hard to do, and which I admire immensly.

What, Corky? To when do you refer?

not enough South Africa supporters on this forum.

International Captain
    I dont like him as much as I should have !!
    Proud member of Twenty20-Is-Boring Society.
    T2IBS Media relations officer
    T2IBS official face
    R.I..P ........ Fardin Qayuumi
    Good luck at the hospital.
    Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    Fraz is always the best option IMO
    frazbest@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information