• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Symonds speaks up for Murali

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No-one likes to see any bloke cop a load of abuse (the exceptions to this rule are Robbie Savage & Craig Bellamy, obv) but I do sometimes think Murali might have encouraged the more boneheaded elements of the Aussie crowd with his slightly queeny response to the crap he cops. If he'd have said to himself "Balls to the lot of you" and answered with a bagfull of wickets I think the ockers would've warmed to him; as he's let it become public knowledge how hurtful he finds it & even refused to tour down under I suspect this encourages his abusers.

Not claiming all Aussie crowds are saints, but I remember how Fat Gray warned last year about all the horrible racist abuse Monty would cop during The Ashes & they seemed to love him.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
but I do sometimes think Murali might have encouraged the more boneheaded elements of the Aussie crowd with his slightly queeny response to the crap he cops. If he'd have said to himself "Balls to the lot of you" and answered with a bagfull of wickets I think the ockers would've warmed to him; as he's let it become public knowledge how hurtful he finds it & even refused to tour down under I suspect this encourages his abusers.
Yeah.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
No-one likes to see any bloke cop a load of abuse (the exceptions to this rule are Robbie Savage & Craig Bellamy, obv) but I do sometimes think Murali might have encouraged the more boneheaded elements of the Aussie crowd with his slightly queeny response to the crap he cops. If he'd have said to himself "Balls to the lot of you" and answered with a bagfull of wickets I think the ockers would've warmed to him; as he's let it become public knowledge how hurtful he finds it & even refused to tour down under I suspect this encourages his abusers.

Not claiming all Aussie crowds are saints, but I remember how Fat Gray warned last year about all the horrible racist abuse Monty would cop during The Ashes & they seemed to love him.
i'm not so sure, i think the people who abuse him and call him a cheat would've continued to say he is cheating and his wickets don't count anyway(and this is not restricted to aussies)....

BoyBrumby

Englishman
i'm not so sure, i think the people who abuse him and call him a cheat would've continued to say he is cheating and his wickets don't count anyway(and this is not restricted to aussies)....
Yeah, you get idiots everywhere unfortunately, but I do think part of any crowd mentality is that they've encouraged to do their worst when they know they a get a rise out of their intended victim. I'm not suggesting that if Murali had kept his counsel they'd be building statues to him in Oz, but I do genuinely reckon it would put off all but the very hard-core morons.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly. Wickets cannot prove you're not a chucker. And people who refuse to believe the evidence that shows clearly that he is not are not likely to be swayed by a few bags of wickets, if anything they'll simply be agitated more.

And no, it's certainly not only Aussies, there was a share of the rubbish (however little coverage it got) here in 2006. It just tends to have more of a meal made of it in Australia than anywhere else.

I can't help feeling, anyway, that Symonds' words will fall on deaf ears. I'll be very surprised if Murali doesn't cop it as usual.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, you get idiots everywhere unfortunately, but I do think part of any crowd mentality is that they've encouraged to do their worst when they know they a get a rise out of their intended victim. I'm not suggesting that if Murali had kept his counsel they'd be building statues to him in Oz, but I do genuinely reckon it would put off all but the very hard-core morons.
Possibly true... Brett Lee gets no-balled and a lot of abuse from the England fans, but I think he also gained most people's respect by taking it with a laugh and now it's more done in jest than with malice.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It was only once anything other than in-jest, TBF. Was always made very obvious that those in quesion were just 'avin' a laff.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Possibly true... Brett Lee gets no-balled and a lot of abuse from the England fans, but I think he also gained most people's respect by taking it with a laugh and now it's more done in jest than with malice.
Brett Lee isn't chasing Warne's wickets....

That's the primary motivation. People don't like someone like Murali breaking the record of their favorite cricketer.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

That's the primary motivation. People don't like someone like Murali breaking the record of their favorite cricketer.
Warne's fairly popular over here, but I seriously doubt too many English fans would be that bothered by Murali overhauling him.

Anyway, Murali copped abuse from way before it became obvious that he (or Warne for that matter) would one day be the world's leading wicket taker so can't agree that it's the primary motivation.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

But back in 1996 both were nothing more than young spinners starting out in their careers.

If in that year, never mind in 1992 when their paths first crossed, you'd told anyone present that one day they'd be jostling for the top around the 700-wicket mark, I doubt many if any would've believed you.

Fusion

Global Moderator
Props to Symonds for speaking up on Murali's behalf. I'm a huge Murali fan, but I think he needs to grow thicker skin. I realize that he's the target of the worst of abuse out there, but he's a professional athlete. He should be able to take it. In fact, use it for motivation and blow away the other team's lineup. That will shut up the crowd, I guarantee it. As long as the abuse is not racist or personal, everything else is fair game IMO. Chants of "no ball", or booing, is not crossing the limits.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In fact, use it for motivation and blow away the other team's lineup. That will shut up the crowd, I guarantee it.
I honestly don't think it will. It'll disappoint them, sure, but it won't stop people yelling "chucker" at him, if anything (as I say earlier) it'll only make them do it more.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Really hope it has an effect.
What may really have an effect is if John Howard went out of his way to shake hands with Murali and bury the hatchett or did something like that....

But do you think John is humble enough at this point in his political career to do something like that ....doubt it..

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Really hope it has an effect.
Something that may have an effect is if John Howard shakes hands with Murali to show that he's buried the hatchett as it were ...

But somehow doubt that John Howard at this point in his political career has enough humility to do something like that.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What may really have an effect is if John Howard went out of his way to shake hands with Murali and bury the hatchett or did something like that....

But do you think John is humble enough at this point in his political career to do something like that ....doubt it..
Nah, I really don't think the typical Australian cricket crowd members would do anything at a game as a result of John Howard shaking someone's hand. Symonds's comments would have even had more of an effect than that!

archie mac

International Coach

I don't think that has much to do with it tbh, Aussies don't like someone who can't take it, and they feel Murali is being a little to precious.

It should be remembered that many Aussies booed the umpires when ever they no-balled Murali.

It could not be much worse then the abuse Warne copped from the Poms, or what Blee copped from the BA during the last Ashes series.

I think he is a bit of a sook if the truth be known

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I wasn't aware the abuse was racist. The abuse Murali suffers is often the same type members of the South African side suffered. Quite different from the usual Aus-Eng banter, which is usually done in good fun. If I were Murali, I simply would stop touring Australia. Why put yourself through that for no reason?

I don't really mind the no-ball chants and the like. I don't think there is any place for racist abuse, and Australia has a reputation for it. This is just me personally, but I don't really ever want to watch a Test match in Australia whereas I'd love to go to England and any other country (except Zimbabwe of course).

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I wasn't aware the abuse was racist. The abuse Murali suffers is often the same type members of the South African side suffered. Quite different from the usual Aus-Eng banter, which is usually done in good fun. If I were Murali, I simply would stop touring Australia. Why put yourself through that for no reason?

I don't really mind the no-ball chants and the like. I don't think there is any place for racist abuse, and Australia has a reputation for it. This is just me personally, but I don't really ever want to watch a Test match in Australia whereas I'd love to go to England and any other country (except Zimbabwe of course).
I don't think he minds the no-ball stuff and has really got used to that in Australia.

But what really gets bad is the bottles and stuff thrown as he fields near Long on or 3rd Man and the close up personal nasties and the racist stuff shouted at close range from the stand as he fields near the ropes.

Last edited: