• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Symonds speaks up for Murali

archie mac

International Coach
I wasn't aware the abuse was racist. The abuse Murali suffers is often the same type members of the South African side suffered. Quite different from the usual Aus-Eng banter, which is usually done in good fun. If I were Murali, I simply would stop touring Australia. Why put yourself through that for no reason?

I don't really mind the no-ball chants and the like. I don't think there is any place for racist abuse, and Australia has a reputation for it. This is just me personally, but I don't really ever want to watch a Test match in Australia whereas I'd love to go to England and any other country (except Zimbabwe of course).
Well you would miss out on a great experience, I have been going to Test matches since the 70s and I am still yet to hear any racist abuse (maybe in a very general way, but nothing at all in the last ten years). Monty was treated like an icon here last series. But yes your choice:)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Well you would miss out on a great experience, I have been going to Test matches since the 70s and I am still yet to hear any racist abuse (maybe in a very general way, but nothing at all in the last ten years). Monty was treated like an icon here last series. But yes your choice:)
I think Murali will tour this time despite the small amount of racist stuff he gets, because he is well aware that Australia by far and away is the Ultimate cricket loving country and the majority are genuine cricket lovers and he needs to play this time to erase the rubbish he has had thrown at him in the past.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't think he minds the no-ball stuff and has really got used to that in Australia.

But what really gets bad is the bottles and stuff thrown as he field near Long on or 3rd Man and the close up personal nasties and the racist stuff shouted at close range from the stand as he fields near the ropes.
Yup, it's more than just 'getting a hard skin.' Considering the amount of criticism he gets on a daily basis, and has been getting for 15 years, he wouldn't be around if he didn't have thick skin. I find calls of him getting tougher a bit rich, considering the type of abuse that he gets is not something anyone should be expected to 'take on the chin.'

No one, not even him most likely, cares about the no-ball chants. He's been hearing the no-ball for 15 years and that is most definitely not what this is about.

pasag

RTDAS
I think Murali will tour this time despite the small amount of racist stuff he gets, because he is well aware that Australia by far and away is the Ultimate cricket loving country and the majority are genuine cricket lovers and he needs to play this time to erase the rubbish he has had thrown at him in the past.
Yeah, as I've said before, you don't find the crap coming from the cricket fans generally imo, rather the bogans who love going to the cricket to get trashed and have what is in their eyes a great day out at the cricket. These idiots have chosen that cricket be their sport where they do this, probably because of the length and because it's in the summer quite unfortunately for the rest of us.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I wasn't aware the abuse was racist. The abuse Murali suffers is often the same type members of the South African side suffered. Quite different from the usual Aus-Eng banter, which is usually done in good fun. If I were Murali, I simply would stop touring Australia. Why put yourself through that for no reason?

I don't really mind the no-ball chants and the like. I don't think there is any place for racist abuse, and Australia has a reputation for it. This is just me personally, but I don't really ever want to watch a Test match in Australia whereas I'd love to go to England and any other country (except Zimbabwe of course).
Its a bit presumptuous of you to say you wouldn't enjoy your experience in Australia. Personally, I would love to watch a match there as the atmosphere seems absolutely electric.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Its a bit presumptuous of you to say you wouldn't enjoy your experience in Australia. Personally, I would love to watch a match there as the atmosphere seems absolutely electric.
Why is it so ? Why is it presumptuos If he thinks that he will not enjoy watching cricket stadium where racist abuse is thrown at players ? If these drunk racist can racially abuse players, it is very much possible that they can abuse someone who is sitting next to them in the stadium and is of difference race. Infact I personally wont enjoy that either and would rather not watch cricket at all.

If you can enjoy such environment, it is your choice and good luck to you, just hope that they dont throw those insults at you, but please dont call others choice as presumptuous or whatever.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Why is it so ? Why is it presumptuos If he thinks that he will not enjoy watching cricket stadium where racist abuse is thrown at players ? If these drunk racist can racially abuse players, it is very much possible that they can abuse someone who is sitting next to them in the stadium and is of difference race. Infact I personally wont enjoy that either and would rather not watch cricket at all.

If you can enjoy such environment, it is your choice and good luck to you, just hope that they dont throw those insults at you, but please dont call others choice as presumptuous or whatever.
Wow. I feel sorry for you if you think that's how your cricket watching experience will be like if you travelled to Australia..

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Tbh there is a lot of racist **** when you go to the cricket in Aus...the whole atmosphere is pretty poor in general as well imo, so much drunkenness etc and not enough people actually there for the cricket.

Anyway, good on Symonds, really impressive comments.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I doubt you would get racially abused just because you're Asian if you went to a game of cricket in Australia....surely
I agree with that but I think I mught be subjected to abuse (racial or otherwise) If I celebrated Murali overtaking Warne or even just showed my admiration to Murali.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes and some people like to live life agreeing with just 1 report from a year and a half ago and not experiencing things for themselves..
There are 100s of reports on the internet, I am least bothered to post each one of the links here on this forum.

I have no interest in watching cricket in Australia or any other place where there is a possiblity of racial abuse to players or spectators. I would rather not watch cricket at all. Cricket is not bigger than life.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I agree with that but I think I mught be subjected to abuse (racial or otherwise) If I celebrated Murali overtaking Warne or even just showed my admiration to Murali.
It depends how you went about it. If anything was said it would be as a joke at Muralis expense not yours in most circumstances.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
There are 100s of reports on the internet, I am least bothered to post each one of the links here on this forum.

I have no interest in watching cricket in Australia or any other place where there is a possiblity of racial abuse to players or spectators. I would rather not watch cricket at all. Cricket is not bigger than life.
Good for you. Your absence to the game will be your loss and only yours..

Fiery

Banned
Best for me not to comment on Murali, but that's got nothing to do with race and it probably hasn't for most people who abuse him at the grounds

Last edited:

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
I remember during the World XI vs Australia ODIs they had a couple of years ago there were some guys behind me shouting 'no-ball' and all the usual crap when Murali was bowling. I just looked at them, didn't even say anything, and had to put up with a torrent of abuse including racial abuse just for that. They were clearly drunk, but it doesn't excuse the behaviour and it wasn't the first time I'd experienced something like that. Luckily there was a very nice older English bloke who gave them a piece of his mind and they left me alone after that, but it was pretty poor especially considering I was there with my family, not just with friends my own age who are used to that sort of thing.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Tbh there is a lot of racist **** when you go to the cricket in Aus...the whole atmosphere is pretty poor in general as well imo, so much drunkenness etc and not enough people actually there for the cricket.

Anyway, good on Symonds, really impressive comments.
Have always found it a heap better at Tests.

pasag

RTDAS
Have always found it a heap better at Tests.
Yeah I don't even bother with ODIs anymore, just going for the Boxing Day Test this year and that's it, and although it's better it still has a hell of alot of improving to do till I can actually sit and relax and watch the cricket as opposed to worrying about the elements around me in the crowd.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Yeah I don't even bother with ODIs anymore, just going for the Boxing Day Test this year and that's it, and although it's better it still has a hell of alot of improving to do till I can actually sit and relax and watch the cricket as opposed to worrying about the elements around me in the crowd.
You an MCC member?

I have found it a fair bit better in there on the couple of occassions I've gone since I got mine.