• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Speed stands down- Should next ICC Chief exececutive be from Asia ?

Where should the next ICC Chief executive come from?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Malcolm Speed has announced he is stepping down.

Here's a poll . The ICC has had the English controlling the MCC (the predecessor of the ICC), then we have had 2 Aussies holding reign over 12 years (Speed and his predecessor).

I think its time some Asians became the ICC chief executives for some time for a change .

What do you think ?

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Where is the option for 'dont care' ? It doesn't matter to me, but its about time a west Indian took charge.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think they should pick the best guy for the job... I dont really care where he is from.
There are lot of "best guys" in Asia (written to quote your words -before the English Spelling Teacher fines me for poor English) and its time an Asian holds this job, because England held the reins for a long time before the Aussies took over and have held it for 12 years.

So they need to get a top Asian Executive to run the ICC...there are lot of highly skilled Asians who deserve it.

Last edited:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
If John O' Neil had been Cricket Australia CEO , I would have said he should be the ideal choice or even Martin Snedden had he still been Chairman of NZ Cricket .Instead he has moved to be the CEO of Rugby World Cup 2011.

No its definitely, the turn for an Asian CEO , and I hope he comes from Asia itself, rather than being picked as an Asian from UK or Australia .

pasag

RTDAS
I think they should pick the best guy for the job... I don't really care where he is from.
Yeah exactly, I couldn't care less where the guy is from as long as he's the best person for the job. If that means he's from Asia for the next 10 years or Australia who cares. What would annoy me though is if the best person for the job had to sit on the sidelines because people felt a new region should get a turn.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I think they should pick the best guy for the job... I dont really care where he is from.
Agreed. Rotation between regions would be a disaster. just a thought - does anyone think it should be an ex test cricketer (regardless of which part of the world he comes from). Mr Berry of the Sunday telegraph thinks ex players should have more say in the ICC but as it was a committee of ex players who gave us "super subs" I am not convinced. PS - I didn't vote because it didn't say "best man for the job".

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I don't care who it is, as long as it is not Pawar or one of his money hungry cronies who wouldn't know cricket if someone impaled them with a stump.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
There are lot of "best guys" in Asia (written to quote your words -before the English Spelling Teacher fines me for poor English) and its time an Asian holds this job, because England held the reins for a long time before the Aussies took over and have held it for 12 years.

So they need to get a top Asian Executive to run the ICC...there are lot of highly skilled Asians who deserve it.
But why? Like others have said, it shouldn't matter where he's from, as long as he gets the job done well.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
There are lot of "best guys" in Asia (written to quote your words -before the English Spelling Teacher fines me for poor English)
He'll probably have a coronary when he sees the spelling in the thread title in all honesty.

Anyway, no-brainer this if ever there was; best bloke (or bird, but less likely) for the gig should get it regardless of where they hail from.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wouldn't mind an Asian, TBH, as long as he's an Asian with good credentials. It avoids any "white bias" nonsense.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
But why? Like others have said, it shouldn't matter where he's from, as long as he gets the job done well.
There are a lot of capable people in Asia, and someone from Asia should get the Job, because Australians have held on for 12 years and before that England held on for eternity.

There are several hundred thousand capable people who are capable of running this, but like I said before an Asian Chief Executive would be a nice change and a precedant for other sports bodies ....

I hope you are not saying there is just one and only one capable individual in the whole World who can run the ICC out there ...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
He'll probably have a coronary when he sees the spelling in the thread title in all honesty.

Anyway, no-brainer this if ever there was; best bloke (or bird, but less likely) for the gig should get it regardless of where they hail from.
May be a no brainer - but the reality my friend is there are several hundred capable people out there ....and it shouldn't be the same countries hogging the CEO chair ...that's my point ...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Just because Australia-England did it for the first century or so doesn't mean the other side has to do it, it doesn't do anyone any good and it ruins the game. If you pass over someone or deny someone even the opportunity to compete because they aren't asian: It's racism, plain and simple. I don't care what you call it, it's unacceptable as far as I am concerned.