Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 44 of 44

Thread: Clive Rice

  1. #31
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    yeah I am fully aware of that, however his career was essentially defined by those two games. Its a cruel game
    So? Those 2 games weren't all his career, and most of the rest of his career aside from those 2 was wholly poor.
    What have i got against Dakin?

    Genuinely typical county plodder.

    As a bowler, barely seconds standard....no matter what those stats say, whatever they might be that would lead you to beleive he was overly accurate
    "Plodder" is a stupid enough word at the best of times. No, Dakin wasn't that good but as I say, there were many worse bowlers around at his time and it seems rather unfair that you should single him out when you could have done others. He was easily good enough to be playing first-team cricket, if not standing out.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  2. #32
    State Vice-Captain jot1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,098
    Did you know Rice had brain surgery? He had a tumor growing in his brain. He was also a very competitive saloon car race driver.
    We Saffies regard him as nearly our all-time top all-rounder. He was also a Captain of Hansie Cronje's caliber.

  3. #33
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    So? Those 2 games weren't all his career, and most of the rest of his career aside from those 2 was wholly poor..
    right....and?


    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    "Plodder" is a stupid enough word at the best of times..
    I think its a great word to describe exactly that type of player

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No, Dakin wasn't that good but as I say, there were many worse bowlers around at his time and it seems rather unfair that you should single him out when you could have done others. He was easily good enough to be playing first-team cricket, if not standing out.

    Plodder...like the rest of them
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  4. #34
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    right....and?
    And, as I said, therefore to judge his career on those two games is poor form. There was far more to it than that and he had nothing like the bowling ability of Dakin, who had a decent long-term career, rather than a few seasons of utter mediocrity.
    I think its a great word to describe exactly that type of player
    I think it's a terrible word, it's one of the most patronising pieces of rubbish you could ever wish to hear, and sounds especially bad when coming from someone who can't even touch the ability of bowlers they're patronising.
    Plodder...like the rest of them
    What does it even mean, anyway? It's the most uselessly vague term, aside from being patronising.


  5. #35
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    And, as I said, therefore to judge his career on those two games is poor form. There was far more to it than that and he had nothing like the bowling ability of Dakin, who had a decent long-term career, rather than a few seasons of utter mediocrity.

    I think it's a terrible word, it's one of the most patronising pieces of rubbish you could ever wish to hear, and sounds especially bad when coming from someone who can't even touch the ability of bowlers they're patronising..
    oh right, so I cannot say someone is no good as a player because I am no good!!!

    Remember that when you are giving Harmison or Hayden a bit of a kicking
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    What does it even mean, anyway? It's the most uselessly vague term, aside from being patronising.
    If you think it is patronising then you must be fully aware of what it means, otherwise you wouldnt have defined it as patronsing

  6. #36
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    oh right, so I cannot say someone is no good as a player because I am no good!!!

    Remember that when you are giving Harmison or Hayden a bit of a kicking
    I've never patronised either by using stupid terms, though. That's the point I'm making. Calling someone a "plodder" is worse, far worse, than saying they're a flat-track bully or a weak-team bully.
    If you think it is patronising then you must be fully aware of what it means, otherwise you wouldnt have defined it as patronsing
    It doesn't really mean much to me other than being obviously derogatory.

  7. #37
    International 12th Man JBMAC's Avatar
    Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Qld/Australia
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by jot1 View Post
    We Saffies regard him as nearly our all-time top all-rounder. .
    That statement surprises me against the record of one Mike Proctor
    Keep Your Feet on The Ground,Keep Reaching for The Stars!

  8. #38
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    The two were very similar, though, weren't they?

  9. #39
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,857
    Quote Originally Posted by jot1 View Post
    Did you know Rice had brain surgery? He had a tumor growing in his brain. He was also a very competitive saloon car race driver.
    We Saffies regard him as nearly our all-time top all-rounder. He was also a Captain of Hansie Cronje's caliber.
    That's interesting - I've always wondered how highly he was rated in his homeland, compared to say Faulkner or Procter. It's a shame that in Procter and Rice we had arguably two of the finest all rounders of all time, and yet between them they played a combined total of just 7 Tests.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

  10. #40
    State Vice-Captain jot1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,098
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    That's interesting - I've always wondered how highly he was rated in his homeland, compared to say Faulkner or Proctor. It's a shame that in Proctor and Rice we had arguably two of the finest all rounders of all time, and yet between them they played a combined total of just 7 Tests.
    Blame apartheid for that.
    I'm not saying he was better than Proctor. I know, to the older folks, Proctor was a God. The next generation likes Rice more. I can just go on what people say when cricket is discussed.
    Rice was also very popular among the ladies as he was bold enough to pose nude (with just his bat covering the jewels) in one of our popular magazines.

  11. #41
    International 12th Man JBMAC's Avatar
    Mahjong Champion! 3 Card Poker Champion!
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Qld/Australia
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    That's interesting - I've always wondered how highly he was rated in his homeland, compared to say Faulkner or Procter. It's a shame that in Procter and Rice we had arguably two of the finest all rounders of all time, and yet between them they played a combined total of just 7 Tests.

    It wasn't only all rounders..Apartheid literally ripped the guts out of South African Cricket..Barry Richards for one could have been rated one of the best of all time...Saw him on his sojourn for South Australia in the Shield..brilliant....Would Greig gone to play in England or stayed...Garth LeRoux..great bowler...So many great careers cut short by politics..What a bloody waste!

  12. #42
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    What South African cricket might have been had, in 1948, instead of Apartheid officialising the informal discrimination that had preceded it, something been introduced that worked towards equality, simply can never be accurately known. The benefits of such a thing potentially happening are too many to gauge.

  13. #43
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,857
    Quote Originally Posted by JBMAC View Post
    It wasn't only all rounders..Apartheid literally ripped the guts out of South African Cricket..Barry Richards for one could have been rated one of the best of all time...Saw him on his sojourn for South Australia in the Shield..brilliant....Would Greig gone to play in England or stayed...Garth LeRoux..great bowler...So many great careers cut short by politics..What a bloody waste!
    Very true mate, it says something for the quality of those players that they are still rated so highly despite playing little to no Test cricket. A great shame.

  14. #44
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,857
    Quote Originally Posted by jot1 View Post
    Blame apartheid for that.
    I'm not saying he was better than Proctor. I know, to the older folks, Proctor was a God. The next generation likes Rice more. I can just go on what people say when cricket is discussed.
    Rice was also very popular among the ladies as he was bold enough to pose nude (with just his bat covering the jewels) in one of our popular magazines.
    I didn't know that about Clive! That's something I (in Australia, anyway), associate more with footballers than cricketers.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The Clive Lloyd legacy - champs or chumps?
    By Lillian Thomson in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: 23-02-2007, 11:25 AM
  2. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 20-10-2005, 03:10 PM
  3. Arise Sir Clive
    By Craig in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 04-01-2004, 02:29 PM
  4. Clive woodward to coach England ??
    By Salamuddin in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 26-11-2003, 06:26 AM
  5. Kerry O'Keeffe on Clive Woodward
    By age_master in forum Rugby Union World Cup 2003
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 23-11-2003, 08:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •