• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers with similar careers

Xuhaib

International Coach
Hanif and Laxman

Both had one performance in their careers which would make even Don Bradman jealous apart from that just a solid career.

Good batman yes, but a legend? No chance.

Ganga and Sami

Aesthetically two of the best players, given a plethora of chances based on they’re potential and lack of any other decent option.

Abysmal career records.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mike Gatting and Mushtaq Ahmed.

Both had a terrible 1st and 3rd third of their careers, and a quite superlative 2nd.

bagapath

International Captain
salim malik and mohammad azharuddin

stylish middle order batsmen. murderers of spin bowling. beautiful to watch. match fixers. banned for life.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Gilchrist and Sangakarra

Underrated keepers, gun batsman also both left-handed. Respective VC of their teams and have had the honour of keeping wickets to the best spin bowlers in cricket history.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Jeff Thomson and Shoaib Akthar - both considered the fastest bowler in the World during their eras, both hit by injuries and controversy (Shoaib's drug "ban", Thommo joining, quiting, and then rejoining Packer) and not dissimilar records (Thommo 200 wickets in 51 Tests, Shoaib 169 in 43 Tests to date). Now a guy who played with Thommo gets to coach Shoaib.

And a more obvious one - Grahame Hick and Mark Ramprakash - both prolific in CC, both considered to have great hopes in Test cricket (they even debuted in the same Test) but both got dropped so many times and even their maiden Test centuraries did not result in the career blooming fans hoped for. Now, of course, although both long since out of Test contention, they still pile up runs for their counties....

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting thread. :)

I’ve taken a slight tangent here and run with it – not talking about an individual cricketer, but rather note the extraordinary similarities in the results of Australia vs England cricket as a whole in the years immediately after both World Wars.

Australia easily won the first post-war series at home without losing a Test (1920-21 and 1946-47)

Australia then convincingly won the next series in England with a team considered one of the greatest ever (1921 and 1948)

Australia won the following series convincingly as well, but nevertheless lost one Test (1924-25 and 1950-51)

England then regained the Ashes on home soil by drawing each of the first four Tests and then winning the fifth (1926 and 1953)

Finally, England retained the Ashes in Australia with an attack spearheaded by a bowler considered one of the fastest ever, who then later emigrated TO Australia! (1928-29 with Harold Larwood and 1954-55 with Frank Tyson)

An uncannily similar sequence of results a generation apart.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Will go on a tangent like Sean. First test and the centenary test. Same result including margin of victory!

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Just noticed your sig - I didn't realise CW had a wikipedia site starting up! I need to get on to that. I have three great (non-cricket) goals in my life - to set foot on all seven continents, to become the undisputed ruler of the universe, and to have my own wikipedia entry.

As far as I'm concerned, the three are inextricably linked. Really.

Julian87

State Captain
Mark Higgs and Ian Blackwell.

Both underperforming hard hitting lefthanded middle order batters and accurate left arm finger spinners whose bowling alone wouldn't see them picked for first class cricket.

Two of my favourite cricketers though.

I'd also have to add Greg Blewett to the Mark Ramprakash and Graham Hick similarity.

JBMAC

State Captain
Interesting thread. :)

I’ve taken a slight tangent here and run with it – not talking about an individual cricketer, but rather note the extraordinary similarities in the results of Australia vs England cricket as a whole in the years immediately after both World Wars.

Australia easily won the first post-war series at home without losing a Test (1920-21 and 1946-47)

Australia then convincingly won the next series in England with a team considered one of the greatest ever (1921 and 1948)

Australia won the following series convincingly as well, but nevertheless lost one Test (1924-25 and 1950-51)

England then regained the Ashes on home soil by drawing each of the first four Tests and then winning the fifth (1926 and 1953)

Finally, England retained the Ashes in Australia with an attack spearheaded by a bowler considered one of the fastest ever, who then later emigrated TO Australia! (1928-29 with Harold Larwood and 1954-55 with Frank Tyson)

An uncannily similar sequence of results a generation apart.
And Who was it that said "History Never Repeats"..other than Spli Enz?

Bouncer

State Regular
Sami and Ajit Agarkar

TEST
Ajit: 26 571 109* 16.79 1 0 58 6/41 47.32 1 6 0
Sami: 30 382 49 10.91 0 0 77 5/36 47.87 2 7 0

One of Pak's Worse Bowler's record is Similar to One of India's Finest..Sami You F%$^#*&#^$^&#**#*&^$^ ............I say we shoot Sami for that:-O :-O

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Agarkar is a one day cricketer.

VRV Singh and Munaf Patel, both hyped up as being ultra quick, neither were, have since fallen to the wayside.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Agarkar is a one day cricketer.

VRV Singh and Munaf Patel, both hyped up as being ultra quick, neither were, have since fallen to the wayside.
Munaf is a good bowler though, wheras VRV is decidedly rubbish. I can see them having very contrasting careers.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Currently, their careers are similar, but Munaf will likely have the more successful one in the future.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mark Higgs and Ian Blackwell.

Both underperforming hard hitting lefthanded middle order batters and accurate left arm finger spinners whose bowling alone wouldn't see them picked for first class cricket.

Two of my favourite cricketers though.

I'd also have to add Greg Blewett to the Mark Ramprakash and Graham Hick similarity.
Blewett was more of a Ramprakash and Bevan a Hick IMO. In several ways.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Indeed. I can't understand how anyone could ever have talked of them in the same breath.
Sorry. But in what I mentioned above, they were bothed hyped as quick, neither were and have since both fallen to the wayside. Although I understand Munaf is injured.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Munaf was, though. His first couple of Tests against England showed the ability to push up towards 90mph. Impressive.

Not sure how fast VRV has been timed at though.

Since his fitness problems have come to the fore, he's had some seriously slow games.