• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Imagination, Patience, Luck

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I knew this was the guy before I clicked the piece. Have seen him write a few good pieces even before. Aakash Chopra is a good writer on the game.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Great article there. I'd love to open the batting for my club, although batting at 10 normally doesn't really help your case.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Aakash Chopra is a great writer. He is extremely articulate and is also very knowledgable of the game. I reckon he will make a great writer/columnist/commentator once he is done with the game. Wish he is just as good in TV commentary too. There are not many "good" Indian commentators around and he would be a million times better than guys like Srinath.

Great work on posting this here, SS. If u didn't do it, it is quite probable that I would have today.

adharcric

International Coach
Top piece. Backing his return to the test side if Jaffer and Gambhir fail in England.

On the same note, I have been confused about temperament and footwork as an opening batsman myself. Recently, I have tried taking a few steps out to the pitch of the ball against the seamers. My bat motion is very good but I am always worried that I'll get a short ball and not be able to judge the length properly. Certainly doesn't help that I haven't mastered the flick off the hips or the pull or hook shot yet. In short, I become unsure whether I should step out to the pitch or just stay back at the crease and play on the front foot with a straight bat. Is it just a matter of knowing how to judge the length quickly and then either getting to the pitch ala Lara or Tendulkar or staying back? Any tips from experienced openers would be appreciated.

Last edited:

DCC_legend

International Regular
Just work hard at getting a string of not outs. Worked for me. :p
Well i'm averaging 23 so far this season with 3 not outs. You never know, i'll have to speak to the captain about it and really perform at practice. I already open the bowling, so i suppose i can't do everything.

Fiery

Banned
Well i'm averaging 23 so far this season with 3 not outs. You never know, i'll have to speak to the captain about it and really perform at practice. I already open the bowling, so i suppose i can't do everything.
You should be up a spot at least. That's a very good average for a No.10

tooextracool

International Coach
Top piece. Backing his return to the test side if Jaffer and Gambhir fail in England.

On the same note, I have been confused about temperament and footwork as an opening batsman myself. Recently, I have tried taking a few steps out to the pitch of the ball against the seamers. My bat motion is very good but I am always worried that I'll get a short ball and not be able to judge the length properly. Certainly doesn't help that I haven't mastered the flick off the hips or the pull or hook shot yet. In short, I become unsure whether I should step out to the pitch or just stay back at the crease and play on the front foot with a straight bat. Is it just a matter of knowing how to judge the length quickly and then either getting to the pitch ala Lara or Tendulkar or staying back? Any tips from experienced openers would be appreciated.
It might help, instead of shuffling up and down the crease, to stand a foot or so outside the crease, especially to bowlers that tend to bowl a shorter length, assuming that you have a greater inclination to drive. If the bowler is getting the ball to swing, you have to make sure that you stand absolutely still when you play your shots, and also play the ball late so that not only can you adjust to the swing, but it also means that if you do edge the ball it doesnt(in all probability) carry to the slips. Ive felt that standing a foot outside your crease means that you are less of an lbw candidate as well as helps in promoting a front foot game.

tooextracool

International Coach
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/columns/content/current/story/302191.html

Good article by one of my favorite players. Man, I wish he was in the squad ahead of Gambhir and Jaffer.
Pity that someone with such a good mind and knowledge of cricket couldnt quite make a good career of it on the field. Shows the importance of the dying art of leaving the ball in test match cricket. I remember in the golden era in the 90s bowlers would be criticised for not making the batsmen play enough. These days most fast bowlers cant even bowl straight.

adharcric

International Coach
It might help, instead of shuffling up and down the crease, to stand a foot or so outside the crease, especially to bowlers that tend to bowl a shorter length, assuming that you have a greater inclination to drive. If the bowler is getting the ball to swing, you have to make sure that you stand absolutely still when you play your shots, and also play the ball late so that not only can you adjust to the swing, but it also means that if you do edge the ball it doesnt(in all probability) carry to the slips. Ive felt that standing a foot outside your crease means that you are less of an lbw candidate as well as helps in promoting a front foot game.
Sounds good. Do you suggest that I do not move up and down the pitch (apart from the front foot movement to drive or defend and the back foot sideways movement for the cut shot) at all? In that case, will it be more difficult to cover the swing when I drive (not very difficult when you drive at the pitch of the ball)? Finally, will I end up playing more aerial drives?

tooextracool

International Coach
Sounds good. Do you suggest that I do not move up and down the pitch (apart from the front foot movement to drive or defend and the back foot sideways movement for the cut shot) at all? In that case, will it be more difficult to cover the swing when I drive (not very difficult when you drive at the pitch of the ball)? Finally, will I end up playing more aerial drives?
The only way you will be playing aerial drives is if you drive deliveries without getting to the pitch of the ball, which you should not be doing anyways.

I do no think it will be more difficult to cover the swing, as long as you play the ball as late as possible with soft hands. Taking a step forward a la Vaughan or even Michael Papps BEFORE the delivery is bowled is fine, but you have to make sure that you are absolutely still when you are playing the shot and not in a walking position. I think moving up and down the crease often inhibits your play as it gives you less time to get into a position to play your shot.

iamdavid

International Debutant
You can work on trying to pick up the length quicker, drills like getting someone to stand about halfway down the pitch and give u quickish throw-downs with varying length, and you concentrate on nothing but watching the ball and picking up the length then adjusting your position as quick as you can...dont even worry about hitting the ball just judging the length and where your feet should be going and if practised enough can really sharpen your initial footwork.

adharcric

International Coach
The only way you will be playing aerial drives is if you drive deliveries without getting to the pitch of the ball, which you should not be doing anyways.

I do no think it will be more difficult to cover the swing, as long as you play the ball as late as possible with soft hands. Taking a step forward a la Vaughan or even Michael Papps BEFORE the delivery is bowled is fine, but you have to make sure that you are absolutely still when you are playing the shot and not in a walking position. I think moving up and down the crease often inhibits your play as it gives you less time to get into a position to play your shot.
Can I get to the pitch of the ball and drive without any shuffling? Is the front-foot movement enough?