• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Fieldsmen I Have Seen

JBMAC

State Captain
The Sean prompted the idea for this thread when he mentioned Colin Bland.So, The BEST Fielders I have SEEN play are as follows:-

1. Colin Bland
2. Derek Randall
3. Norm O'Neill
4. Neil Harvey
5. Jonty Rhodes
6. Mark Waugh
7. Andrew Symonds
8. Allan Border
9. Bobby Simpson
10.Conrad Hunte

Thats MY Top Ten.Remember you have to have seen them play

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Call me crazy, but I think Ponting is the best all around fielder going in the game today, above Symonds. When I think of fielding, I really think of catching as IMO it is much more important than ground fielding in Tests. And Collingwood is up there on that criteria too.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Not discrediting you... just want your view.... Eknath Solker, Carl Hooper? Aren't you rating Mark Waugh very highly? What about Adam Bacher, Gibbs?

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
Not discrediting you... just want your view.... Eknath Solker, Carl Hooper? Aren't you rating Mark Waugh very highly? What about Adam Bacher, Gibbs?
Mark Waugh was an outstanding fielder. Made it look totally effortless. Chris Harris and Lou Vincent are the best kiwi fielders I have seen

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Waugh for mine. Great slipper, great inside the circle in ODIs and could field on the boundary as well.

Ever notice how he'd take blinders, but never end up with grass stains on his whites? It was like he landed on a soft cushion. I'll always remember that catch he took off Laxman in the last Test in the 01 series in India. It took Laxman about 30 seconds to leave - not because he disputed his dismissal (caught short mid wicket) but I think he just could not believe that anyone could have taken that catch. I still can't. It was one of the great catches.

I saw him do something seemingly simple but which remains one of the more remarkable things I've seen on a cricket field at such a high level, but which went largely un-noticed.

Shane Warne was bowling from the Randwick End at the SCG and Waugh was at silly mid off. It was windy, and as Warne let the ball go, Waugh's white floppy hat flew off his head. He caught it with his left hand, just as the batsman blocked the ball on the bounce to his right. He grabbed the ball with his right hand and backhanded it at the stumps, while still re-arranging his hat with his left hand. A moment both sublime and ridiculous.

The guy could do anything as a fieldsman.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Call me crazy, but I think Ponting is the best all around fielder going in the game today, above Symonds. When I think of fielding, I really think of catching as IMO it is much more important than ground fielding in Tests.
Yeah, I agree. Symonds is a great outfielder and a great cover fieldsman, but the true test of a fielder's worth in tests IMO is his fielding in the slips. I don't recall ever seeing Symonds in there - possibly because he's valuable elsewhere, I suppose. But Ponting has all you'd want for a point or cover fieldsman as well as being a fine slip as well.

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
A number of people may think I'm mad but Dwayne Bravo is the best athlete I have ever seen on a cricket pitch.

He also is the best fielder off his own bowling I have ever seen.

The only thing that stops me from saying he is the best fielder I have ever seen full stop is occasional lapses in concentration and the fact that he dosen't hit the stumps as much as I would like.

He is certainly up there with Collingwood as far as frequency of spectacular catches is concerned.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Double bluff

I actually enjoy that song. :ph34r:
Yeah, good work.

And I like the song too, tbh - Rick rolling people all the time gives me the perfect chance to open up that page. :p

The song itself was never bad really - but that video clip is perhaps the direst thing in history.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Yeah, good work.

And I like the song too, tbh - Rick rolling people all the time gives me the perfect chance to open up that page. :p

The song itself was never bad really - but that video clip is perhaps the direst thing in history.
Haha yeah. Love a good (or bad) 80's clip/song myself. Corey Hart's Sunglasses at Night = classic.