• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

David Hussey

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What are people's (especialy the Australian's out there) opinions of David Hussey?

From what i've seen and heard of him in the county championship the guy is ridiculously talented- scoring 272(234) and hitting 7 6s in 8 balls in a one day game for instance - and he's one of my favourite players.

Is there any chance of him ever getting into the Aus team?

http://content-uk.cricinfo.com/countycricket2007/content/current/player/5766.html
He's horribly inconsistent in first class cricket - he's even been dropped from the Victorian first class side once or twice in the past few years, so I think he'd be quite a long way back in the pecking order for the test side. As far as one day cricket goes, he's one of the best batsmen in the country quite easily IMO, but the Australian selectors tend to go for the younger guys in that form of the game, so I doubt he'd be selected.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
He has done ridiculously good in English County Cricket though.

First Class: 1048 runs at 87.33 at a strike rate of 82.58!

One Day: 265 runs at 44.16 at a strike rate of 110.41

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
He's horribly inconsistent in first class cricket - he's even been dropped from the Victorian first class side once or twice in the past few years, so I think he'd be quite a long way back in the pecking order for the test side. As far as one day cricket goes, he's one of the best batsmen in the country quite easily IMO, but the Australian selectors tend to go for the younger guys in that form of the game, so I doubt he'd be selected.
God...Australian cricket must be in good shape if a guy with an average of 53 in first class cricket can be refered to as "horribly inconsistent".

Last edited:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
God...Australian cricket must be in good shape if a guy with an average of 53 in first class cricket can be refered to "horribly inconsistent".
He would have meant in Australian Domestic Cricket. What's his Pura Cup career average?

I don't think he's that far down the pecking order really, if the top 11 Aussie players all stopped playing tomorrow, he'd be in the team for One day cricket definately, and he'd be pretty close in Tests also.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
he is agood bat and victoria would struggle without him. i think its always that little harder when ur brother in in both tests and one day aswell. raises the bar a little i feel.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
God...Australian cricket must be in good shape if a guy with an average of 53 in first class cricket can be refered to as "horribly inconsistent".
He gets in really bad ruts, is the problem. The fact that he averages such a large number is testament to how well he goes when he's not in really dire form (which just comes along too regularly and lasts too long, tbh).

2003-04: 878 runs @ 58.53
2004-05: 313 runs @ 24.46
2005-06: 606 runs @ 35.64
2006-07: 911 runs @ 53.58

His prolific run-scoring in County Cricket has helped his career average up to where it is (not that it should be discounted or anything, though - just that it highlights his consistency issues).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He's a real barometer for the Victorian side. When he's playing well, you'll often find that Victoria are winning, because he scores his runs so quickly. Has played one of the best knocks in recent years against NSW when they chased down 400+ in a day.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
He gets in really bad ruts, is the problem. The fact that he averages such a large number is testament to how well he goes when he's not in really dire form (which just comes along too regularly and lasts too long, tbh).

2003-04: 878 runs @ 58.53
2004-05: 313 runs @ 24.46
2005-06: 606 runs @ 35.64
2006-07: 911 runs @ 53.58

His prolific run-scoring in County Cricket has helped his career average up to where it is (not that it should be discounted or anything, though - just that it highlights his consistency issues).
It may also be that playing so much suits him rather than having the season spread out as much, like the Australian season. But obviously the standard has a bit to do with it too.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
he is agood bat and victoria would struggle without him. i think its always that little harder when ur brother in in both tests and one day aswell. raises the bar a little i feel.
Especially when you bro is Mr Cricket!

Vics would definately struggle without him. After Hodge, Hussey is always the prized wicket.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I think David Hussey would take to international cricket like a duck to water, personally.

He averages 42 in FC and 46 in OD for Victoria.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Wasn't his brother Mike simmilar to him in the way he scored tons in county cricket but was inconsistent in Australia?

grant28

School Boy/Girl Captain
He should be taken to the twenty20 world cup, hes quite destructive and it will give someone else a rest for the tournament.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wasn't his brother Mike simmilar to him in the way he scored tons in county cricket but was inconsistent in Australia?
Not really, not to the same extent.

In 9 seasons (1995\96 to 2004\05) before he got into the Test side, he averaged 41.08, 46.40, 48.15, 41.22, 51.41, 30.25, 34.50, 38.12, 41.81, 60.78.

Pretty darn impressive. In your worst season you average 30! And no other seasons averaging less than 34.50, and 6 out of 9 averaging over 40.

Not as spectacular as his success for Northants in 2001, 2002 and 2003, of course (79.03, 68.66, 89.31, with unbeaten triple-centuries in all) but as I say - still rather good.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So does Sean Ervine though, and I'm sure I read that he's looking to qualify.
There is something regarding the fifth (and final) year of residence and Ervine would have stay in the UK for more than 280 days in that last year to get a British passport. Hussey in 2009 could do the same thing but I believe by then he would have spent over 450 days out of the UK (since 2004), which would make him ineligible.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Has Ervine finally made his mind up about whether he wants to play for Australia or England yet?

Back in 2003\04 when he first packed his bags from Zimbabwe, obviously, there was genuine talk of not merely him playing for Australia but Australia gleefully accepting his signature.

Since then (as I've said before) he's rather gone backwards.