• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yet another Aussie coach?

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
With the appointment of Geoff Lawson as Pakistan's coach it seams to be flavour of the month to have an Aussie as the coach or at least a few Aussies on the shortlist.

What do Aussie ex cricketers/coaches have that international teams seam to want?

archie mac

International Coach
VB?

Seriously though, I am not sure why, I really like to see Countries coached by their own former players

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Same, I think it is widely believed that because Australia have always been good they all have innate knowledge for the game. It is a lame attempt to try and reach and understand Australia's glory through having a coach to teach them the Australian training techniques and discipline. Sadly, countries don't realise that the players must be complient and want to improve and go through the hard work and most players, especially sub continental ones are not.

pasag

RTDAS
Alot of it is the notion that some boards seem to have that Australia are great a cricket, find an Australian to coach us and we'll be great as well. I think that's all there is really. It's a fad that I'm sure will pass.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Same, I think it is widely believed that because Australia have always been good they all have innate knowledge for the game. It is a lame attempt to try and reach and understand Australia's glory through having a coach to teach them the Australian training techniques and discipline. Sadly, countries don't realise that the players must be complient and want to improve and go through the hard work and most players, especially sub continental ones are not.
Alot of it is the notion that some boards seem to have that Australia are great a cricket, find an Australian to coach us and we'll be great as well. I think that's all there is really. It's a fad that I'm sure will pass.
Great minds think alike :laugh:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I think a lot of it has to do with the development that goes into the coaches. There has been a lot of work go into the coaching systems at both grassroots and higher levels, and I think that a by-product of this is the appointment of Australian coaches overseas.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I know Sri Lanka get a lot of Australian coaches as the usually coach in the two big FC comps in the world in Australia and England. So if they performed at that level they should have what it takes to perform at Test level. I think that plays a big part as more Australia coaches have good records in those two comps, more then their nationality.

Bouncer

State Regular
The day Lawson showed interest, i wanted him to be the Coach of Pak...He young(er), Low profile compared with Whatmore, chances are he will be more eager to make an impression as coach as successful Pak team can mean a great coaching career for Lawson.....so there is every reason for Lawson to do well as Coach

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
And add the fact he is not rejected by India either(the biggest criteria). ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly. Australia are the virtual sole exception. Only Zimbabwe share the trait of their best-ever coach not being a foreigner.

archie mac

International Coach
Exactly. Australia are the virtual sole exception. Only Zimbabwe share the trait of their best-ever coach not being a foreigner.
A couple of the best English coaches have performed will with Team England, and I think John Wright would perform a fine job with NZ

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't see how any English coaches have done much with England, TBH. Keith Fletcher, like so many, took a few steps forward and a few steps back and ended his tenure with not-much to show for himself. David Lloyd demonstrated the hotheadedness we virtually never see in the com-box on at least 2 occasions which meant he was always on dodgy ground, and as for Raymond Illingworth... let's not even touch that subject. :dry: Micky Stewart was OK, I suppose, but still not a patch on Duncan Fletcher.

We wait to see how Peter Moores goes. I can't see him doing a poor job, but equally if he's as good as DF I'll be very surprised.

archie mac

International Coach
Can't see how any English coaches have done much with England, TBH. Keith Fletcher, like so many, took a few steps forward and a few steps back and ended his tenure with not-much to show for himself. David Lloyd demonstrated the hotheadedness we virtually never see in the com-box on at least 2 occasions which meant he was always on dodgy ground, and as for Raymond Illingworth... let's not even touch that subject. :dry: Micky Stewart was OK, I suppose, but still not a patch on Duncan Fletcher.

We wait to see how Peter Moores goes. I can't see him doing a poor job, but equally if he's as good as DF I'll be very surprised.

I am still a little old fashioned and agree with Ian Chappell, "a coach is something that takes the team to the ground in England"

I don't think coaches especially in cricket make a huge difference. I will admit to not knowing a lot about football (soccer) but put me in charge of MU and I bet I win more than I lose. Same with a couple of the English coaches they simply did not have the cattle

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Duncan Fletcher quite clearly disproved that though IMO. Yeah, sure, you can overestimate the value of a coach - no-one can turn crap players into good ones - but a coach is very important as he can turn potentially good players into good ones, who otherwise might have gone to waste.

Equally, he can gel things together - a point John Buchanan made well. IMO Buchanan holds-up well compared to Chappell. If "in times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with the World that no longer exists", Buchanan is the learner, Chappell the learned (at least on the subject of cricket coaching). Though it served well for Illy too.

The coach is vital as the "head of the family" as Buchanan put it. This is a role Duncan Fletcher played beautifully, and hence his team in 2000 and 2000\01, with most of the same players who'd been playing for the previous decade under Illy, Bumble and Keith Fletcher, achieved something none of the previous teams had looked like doing. Of course, DF was useful in other ways too, even if, like most, he had his foibles (tec constantly goes on about his over-insistence on the Sweep and one or two other things; I was frustrated by his inability to break free from the perennial "your best Test players are your best ODI players" nonsense which most of his generation and the next tend to believe; and there's no doubt he went too far occasionally on things that, for the most part, were mostly good ideas).

A crap group of players is a crap group of players. But that's emphatically not what England had in the 1990s, there were many potentially very fine players around. For any number of reasons, no-one had ever managed to quite harness that. Now, sure, he probably had some good fortune - there must have been an element of it-had-to-fall-into-place-eventually - but it can't entirely be coincidence.

A good coach (and general good management) cannot change poor players into good ones. But a poor coach (and general poor management) can change potentially good players into lesser ones. And that's what was happening pretty much between 1992 (the end of Micky Stewart's tenure) and 1999 (the start of DF's).

roseboy64

Cricket Web Content Updater
I am still a little old fashioned and agree with Ian Chappell, "a coach is something that takes the team to the ground in England"

I don't think coaches especially in cricket make a huge difference. I will admit to not knowing a lot about football (soccer) but put me in charge of MU and I bet I win more than I lose. Same with a couple of the English coaches they simply did not have the cattle
Not necessarily true.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, was thinking of going mental when I read that, thought I'd leave it to either you or Halz, whoever got there first. :)