• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Whats the Point of Naming a 30 Man Squad?

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If gives too many players a false sense of hope. each countries selectors should already have an idea of whos going. There are always a few spots here and there to be decided, but does a 30 man squad really need to be named????

Top_Cat

I would guess the reason for doing it is to let the players who are on it know "Hey, we're seriously looking at including you. Keep up the good work." in the hope it my inspire them to try harder because of the promise of what's to come.

If you were a FC cricketer, wouldn't you prefer to be on it than not? At least you'd know you're in with a shout of making it past FC level.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
also if there is an injury during the WC theer is a chance you may be picked - well someone in the 30 man squad will be anyway

Bazza

International 12th Man
Originally posted by Top_Cat
If you were a FC cricketer, wouldn't you prefer to be on it than not? At least you'd know you're in with a shout of making it past FC level.
Yes and you could look at this the other way - if you're not in 30 what hope have you got? Might as well go and get a proper job... :rolleyes:

Top_Cat

Yes and you could look at this the other way - if you're not in 30 what hope have you got? Might as well go and get a proper job... :rolleyes:
Hahaha, good point!

Nah it just means you missed the boat for THIS WC. The message is 'try harder'. To be honest, the 'county pro' style of player in Australia is generally a thing of the past. We've had a few (Shaun Young, Mark Lavender, Colin Miller before he got picked for Test matches etc.) but generally, players are always aiming for the top. Generally if you don't indicate that you're looking to play higher, most of our FC teams won't pick you because places are at a premium purely because there's so few of them, relative to the county teams. There's only 6 teams in our FC comp.

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
I dont see the point of a 30 man sqaud, unless the selectors dont want to offend someone, just being wusses. Why not name a 100 man squad.

I think it should be a 20 members or less or less squad. So everyone who is there knows they have a realistic chance of making it to the team, and the message to everyone else is, you are not good enough so try harder.

In case of injury if there isnt a replacement available in the other 19, another player can be included.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I agree with the naming of a 30 player squad. This squad would train together so it gives the selectors and coaches a chance to see boarderline players, playing/training against the top players every week.

Canterbury Cricket (womens) name about 25 players for winter training and slowly they will cut the team down to the require sqaud of 13.