• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

NZ States announce contracted players

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/302138.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

State Auckland Aces Andre Adams, Colin de Grandhomme, Martin Guptill, Paul Hitchcock, David Houpapa, Richard Jones, Tim McIntosh, Rob Nicol, Mayu Pasupati, Lance Shaw, Daryl Tuffey, Reece Young.

State Canterbury Wizards Todd Astle, Hamish Bennett, Leighton Burtt, Andrew Ellis, Chris Harris, Brandon Hiini, Johann Myburgh, Ben Rae, Iain Robertson, Amandeep Singh, Shanan Stewart, Kruger Van Wyk.

State Central Stags Geoff Barnett, Brendon Diamanti, Bevan Griggs, Greg Hay, Brent Hefford, Greg Hegglun, Peter Ingram, Tim Lythe, Dominic Rayner, Robbie Schaw, Ewen Thompson, Tim Weston.

State Northern Knights Graeme Aldridge, Brent Arnel, Daniel Flynn, Nick Horsley, James Marshall, Bruce Martin, Peter McGlashan, Mark Orchard, Tim Southee, BJ Watling, Brad Wilson, Joseph Yovich.

State Otago Volts Craig Cumming, Derek de Boorder, Neil Broom, Shaun Haig, Mathew Harvie, Nathan McCullum, James McMillan, Warren McSkimming, Aaron Redmond, Bradley Scott, Greg Todd, Nic Turner.

State Wellington Firebirds Matthew Bell, Dewayne Bowden, Michael Burns, Jeremy Dean, Grant Elliott, Kevin Forde, Chris Nevin, Iain O'Brien, Michael Parlane, Neal Parlane, Jesse Ryder, Luke Woodcock.

Some interesting names in bold. Forde's pretty quick, I've never heard of Jeremy Dean (i don't think :unsure: ) and it looks like Johann Myburgh has deserted the Titans of South Africa to join Dave Nosworthy's South African revolution in Canterbury.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Still too many Marshall's there.

Otago looking pretty strong, actually.

I haven't heard of the bolded names either, nor the following: Rae, Singh, Flynn, Harvie, Bowden, Burns, Rayner and Bennett's name rings a bell but can't remember him that well.

HeathDavisSpeed

I haven't heard of the bolded names either, nor the following: Rae, Singh, Flynn, Harvie, Bowden, Burns, Rayner and Bennett's name rings a bell but can't remember him that well.
I've seen Bowden, Burns and Flynn. Thought Flynn in particular looked a decent enough batting prospect. Very inconsistant it seems though. Bowden's no great shakes if you ask me. Not quick enough, not consistant enough and doesn't get enough movement - yet. Work in progress maybe?

I'll be keeping an eye on Hiini. Hoping he steers clear of 2nd season syndrome.

The other key thing to point out is that after all his huffing and puffing, Ryder has stayed at Wellington. Peter Ingram has secured a contract again after missing out at the start of last year. Deserved to get a contract too after all the work he put in down the nets with Tim Weston.

Any key names missing? I thought Mark Houghton at Wellington might be in with a shout... and isn't Tim Lythe that guy with only one leg??

sportychic33

State 12th Man
I'll be keeping an eye on Hiini. Hoping he steers clear of 2nd season syndrome.

The other key thing to point out is that after all his huffing and puffing, Ryder has stayed at Wellington. Peter Ingram has secured a contract again after missing out at the start of last year. Deserved to get a contract too after all the work he put in down the nets with Tim Weston.
What kind of huffing and puffing would that be. Definitely would be both types I would think. I think he should lose his contract, that would either jolt him into growing up or shipping out and either way would be good for New Zealand Cricket.

Any key names missing? I thought Mark Houghton at Wellington might be in with a shout... and isn't Tim Lythe that guy with only one leg??
Yep Tim Lythe is that guy with one leg, after he had bone cancer. He has moved to Hawke's Bay and has been picked up by CD who will probably use him to his potential as they aren't that strong in the spinner department but have Robbie Schaw who is developing. However I did read somewhere that CD's strike bowlers are plagued with injury over the off season: Diamanti has a bulging disc in his back, Thompson has a gastric problem so will only play one form of the game and with Oram and maybe Mason on International Duty the majority of the season, CD might need to find some new talent.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Yep Tim Lythe is that guy with one leg, after he had bone cancer. He has moved to Hawke's Bay and has been picked up by CD who will probably use him to his potential as they aren't that strong in the spinner department but have Robbie Schaw who is developing. However I did read somewhere that CD's strike bowlers are plagued with injury over the off season: Diamanti has a bulging disc in his back, Thompson has a gastric problem so will only play one form of the game and with Oram and maybe Mason on International Duty the majority of the season, CD might need to find some new talent.
Good luck to Lythe. He may well need it! Schaw is a great prospect, but we all know how fragile a spinner's talent can be. I wonder who CD will find to fill the gaps if Diamanti, Thompson and Mason aren't available. That's a whole pace attack gone absent if they can't play.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member

Harvie is a 23 year old medium fast bowler who had an outstanding season for Otago in last years State Shield.

Bowden is another medium pace seamer who performed well for Wellington, after being called in from club cricket in the absence of Franklin, Gillespie and O'Brien.

Bennet is a 20 year old fast bowler from Canterbury. He's had a pretty poor career in first class cricket so far, but he's rated by Dayle Hadlee as a real prospect. He did well in last years State Shield final, and was selected for the New Zealand A tour in Darwin.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Harvie is a 23 year old medium fast bowler who had an outstanding season for Otago in last years State Shield.

Bowden is another medium pace seamer who performed well for Wellington, after being called in from club cricket in the absence of Franklin, Gillespie and O'Brien.

Bennet is a 20 year old fast bowler from Canterbury. He's had a pretty poor career in first class cricket so far, but he's rated by Dayle Hadlee as a real prospect. He did well in last years State Shield final, and was selected for the New Zealand A tour in Darwin.

Cheers for that mate.

Is it just me or is there more talent coming through NZ than ever before?

HeathDavisSpeed

Just thought that its interesting that Corey Anderson hasn't been signed up. His time will come though - he'll probably get some more list A action this year.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Derek de Boorder going to Otago is a good move, probably the obvious move with the keeping vacancy after Hopkins moved to Auckland.
Also no Tim Papps on the contractees list for Canterbury

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Just thought that its interesting that Corey Anderson hasn't been signed up. His time will come though - he'll probably get some more list A action this year.
He's only 16, and his two matches for Canterbury weren't exactly phenomenal. Give him time. I shouldn't expect he'll earn a regular place in the Canterbury side until at least the 08/09 season.

As for payment of domestic players, it's better than it used to be, but still not that great. The top 2 players get paid $40,000, and it gradually works its way down to about $20,000 for the lowest ranked contracted players.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Cheers for that mate.

Is it just me or is there more talent coming through NZ than ever before?
Not sure if there's necessarily more talent coming through, but it's certainly being developed more effectively than it used to be. Look at our U19 World Cup performances over the last few years, they've been nothing short dismal. Yet there are plenty of young players who are getting better and better thanks to a combination of the cricket academy and coaching regimes, and a solid first class cricket structure. Contrast this with Bangladesh, the West Indies and Pakistan, were some truly phenomenal young players are coming through, but are either being pushed into the deep end before they learn to swim, or getting lost in a maze of poorly structured domestic cricket.

Last edited:

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
He's only 16, and his two matches for Canterbury weren't exactly phenomenal. Give him time. I shouldn't expect he'll earn a regular place in the Canterbury side until at least the 08/09 season.

As for payment of domestic players, it's better than it used to be, but still not that great. The top 2 players get paid $40,000, and it gradually works its way down to about $20,000 for the lowest ranked contracted players.
He's 16!!!!. And bowling in domestic cricket. :blink:

HeathDavisSpeed

He's 16!!!!. And bowling in domestic cricket. :blink:

Yup. One to look out for. James Harris at Glamorgan's another - 17 and he's bagged a ten wicket first class haul. Such talent is fragile though and neither has any guarantee of 'making it' despite such early successes.

Flem274*

123/5
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci/content/story/302138.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

State Auckland Aces Andre Adams, Colin de Grandhomme, Martin Guptill, Paul Hitchcock, David Houpapa, Richard Jones, Tim McIntosh, Rob Nicol, Mayu Pasupati, Lance Shaw, Daryl Tuffey, Reece Young.

State Canterbury Wizards Todd Astle, Hamish Bennett, Leighton Burtt, Andrew Ellis, Chris Harris, Brandon Hiini, Johann Myburgh, Ben Rae, Iain Robertson, Amandeep Singh, Shanan Stewart, Kruger Van Wyk.

State Central Stags Geoff Barnett, Brendon Diamanti, Bevan Griggs, Greg Hay, Brent Hefford, Greg Hegglun, Peter Ingram, Tim Lythe, Dominic Rayner, Robbie Schaw, Ewen Thompson, Tim Weston.

State Northern Knights Graeme Aldridge, Brent Arnel, Daniel Flynn, Nick Horsley, James Marshall, Bruce Martin, Peter McGlashan, Mark Orchard, Tim Southee, BJ Watling, Brad Wilson, Joseph Yovich.

State Otago Volts Craig Cumming, Derek de Boorder, Neil Broom, Shaun Haig, Mathew Harvie, Nathan McCullum, James McMillan, Warren McSkimming, Aaron Redmond, Bradley Scott, Greg Todd, Nic Turner.

State Wellington Firebirds Matthew Bell, Dewayne Bowden, Michael Burns, Jeremy Dean, Grant Elliott, Kevin Forde, Chris Nevin, Iain O'Brien, Michael Parlane, Neal Parlane, Jesse Ryder, Luke Woodcock.

Some interesting names in bold. Forde's pretty quick, I've never heard of Jeremy Dean (i don't think :unsure: ) and it looks like Johann Myburgh has deserted the Titans of South Africa to join Dave Nosworthy's South African revolution in Canterbury.
Peter Ingram and Tim Weston. Good to see Francis Douglas Memorial College first XI men in there. I will never forgive myself for missing Ingrams 236* in that 50 over game against some school.

EDIT: Just noticed we have got a few speedy young quicks coming through judging by the earlier posts. Maybe the day will come when we can have a very fast attack?

Anderson
Bennet
Sherlock

Looks good already and thats just three bowlers

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

I would guess from the absence of his name from the contracted list that he's predicted to spend another season on the physio's bench.

And Fiery, you know I had more than one trick... Fast, very fast or HEATHDAVISSPEED

>>>>>>>>>>>>>WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>>>>>