• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ramnaresh Sarwan vs Yuvraj singh

adharcric

International Coach
Until recently, I would agree that Yuvraj does not have a good temperament and may not be the brightest of cricketers. Recently, I've seen something special in his ODI batting. In my opinion, Yuvraj has a better temperament under pressure than anyone else in the one-day side. I am confident that he can take that to another level in test cricket.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Until recently, I would agree that Yuvraj does not have a good temperament and may not be the brightest of cricketers. Recently, I've seen something special in his ODI batting. In my opinion, Yuvraj has a better temperament under pressure than anyone else in the one-day side. I am confident that he can take that to another level in test cricket.
I agree. It has always struck me that what strikes Yuvraj down more than anything is sheer laziness. once he gets settled, he stops trying as hard to concentrate which is why he gives his wicket away. Somewhat similar to Sehwag except Sehwag gets his runs so quickly at the start that his average works out fine. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not to suggest that Yuvraj is anywhere near the class of Tendulkar, but after 11 matches, Yuvraj averaged just 2 runs below Tendulkar (after similar circumstances). Of course, there are many factors to consider, such as quality of opposition and whatnot, but I'm sure there were doubts over Sachin then (even if he held the school record with Kambli) even if they were little ones. My point is that 11 matches may not really be enough to judge a player, so you should tread carefully there.
Tendulkar was a bit special because he was brought in and played a fair few games at 16. Not many if any are going to be Test-class at that age. He was by 17, though. :)

Yuvraj is a more conventional case.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
By the same token, I don't think Yuvraj would have been ridiculed if the line-up didn't feature Tendulkar, Dravid and the lot. Contextually he doesn't look like he fits in with such performers, but he is actually not all that bad and mentally insolent. He has shown that he is a match-winner in ODIs and his first class record is not bad. I think he is definitely going to shine and step into the big shoes well once the seniors vacate.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Talent encompasses mental talent too. Yuvraj is an idiot.

Sarwan and Sarwan on both counts.
I agree with you that he's an indiot in tests, the guy just seems to get bored and throw his wicket away a lot, but oddly imo in ODIs he can produce some great innings where he's had to stick it out and not give his wicket away.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think there's a big difference between having a good temperament for one day cricket and a good temperament for test cricket, though. Yuvraj seems to have the key component for both - he lifts under pressure - but the simple questions over which balls to attack, which to defend and which to leave vary greatly between the two forms. I haven't seen a great deal of Yuvraj in test cricket, but it's quite possible that he just doesn't have the correct mindset or shot selection for the longer format - both which contribute greatly to his overall temperament.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
As a test batsman Sarwan is better, but Yuvraj has proved himself in ODIs. IMO Yuvraj is miles ahead of Sarwan as an ODI batsman, and getting close to him in tests. As of now Sarwan is a better test batsman than Yuvi, but Yuvi is catching up fast and he will end up the better player.

Beamer

As a test batsman Sarwan is better, but Yuvraj has proved himself in ODIs. IMO Yuvraj is miles ahead of Sarwan as an ODI batsman, and getting close to him in tests. As of now Sarwan is a better test batsman than Yuvi, but Yuvi is catching up fast and he will end up the better player.
How on earth can he be miles ahead of Sarwan at ODI when Sarwan was recently rated number 1 in the World by the ICC, averages 44 with a strike rate of 77. Yuvraj has had an excellent last 2 years while Sarwan has spent a lot of time injured, but there is no way you can say one is miles ahead of the other.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
How on earth can he be miles ahead of Sarwan at ODI when Sarwan was recently rated number 1 in the World by the ICC, averages 44 with a strike rate of 77. Yuvraj has had an excellent last 2 years while Sarwan has spent a lot of time injured, but there is no way you can say one is miles ahead of the other.
Dhoni was recently rated number one by the ICC in ODI's. 8-) I don't think the ICC ratings reward consistency as much as they reward a couple of good back-to-back series.

Beamer

Dhoni was recently rated number one by the ICC in ODI's. 8-) I don't think the ICC ratings reward consistency as much as they reward a couple of good back-to-back series.
Fair enough but an average of 44/45 after 140 odd matches is a record that yuvi cannot match.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yuvraj is a much better match winner than Sarwan, 7 100s compared to Sarwan's 3. Yes Yuvraj has played more matches but in atleast 1/3rd of those have been in the lower order.

Beamer

Yuvraj is a much better match winner than Sarwan, 7 100s compared to Sarwan's 3. Yes Yuvraj has played more matches but in atleast 1/3rd of those have been in the lower order.
I have lost count of the amount of times Sarwan has won a match for the West Indies and been 80/90 not out, particularly against India. The point stands that Yuvraj cannot be described as much better than Sarwan at ODI's.

In test matches Sarwan has been dissapointing but Yuvraj has a much worse record.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Fair enough but an average of 44/45 after 140 odd matches is a record that yuvi cannot match.
If you read the first post of the thread, the guy clearly asked the question :-

who is better batsman right now?
in last two and half years Yuvraj has scored 5 centuries and 11 50s, compared to Sarwan's 1 100+ and 13 50s.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
Yuvraj is hardly a top-order player for India. He doesn't come in earlier than number 5 in most games. In fact, in his last 124 games, Yuvraj has come in at 3/4 37 times. In contrast, Sarwan has in his career of 124 games, come in at 3/4 97 times. I would conclude, thus, that Sarwan has far more opportunity to establish his innings in the normal mould, compared to Yuvraj, who has to either lead his team to victory with a well-compiled 30-40 along with our "all-rounders" or has to get some quick runs while batting first. And the times we have collapsed, he has shown enough temperament to see us through, most of the time (clear examples being the recently concluded Future Cup series). Hence, I don't feel averages give the whole picture, here.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I have lost count of the amount of times Sarwan has won a match for the West Indies and been 80/90 not out, particularly against India. The point stands that Yuvraj cannot be described as much better than Sarwan at ODI's.

In test matches Sarwan has been dissapointing but Yuvraj has a much worse record.
I have clearly said that Sarwan is better in Tests right now but in future IMO Yuvraj will be better.

While I am not denying that Sarwan has won matches for WI, I think Yuvraj has won a lot more matches and of late has been scoring more consistently (in ODIs)than Sarwan.

adharcric

International Coach
I think there's a big difference between having a good temperament for one day cricket and a good temperament for test cricket, though. Yuvraj seems to have the key component for both - he lifts under pressure - but the simple questions over which balls to attack, which to defend and which to leave vary greatly between the two forms. I haven't seen a great deal of Yuvraj in test cricket, but it's quite possible that he just doesn't have the correct mindset or shot selection for the longer format - both which contribute greatly to his overall temperament.
Certainly, there is a difference between the temperaments required for one-day cricket and test cricket. Yuvraj's development and maturation over the past two years has involved shot selection and the ability to restrain himself; for this reason, I can see him undergoing a similar maturation in test cricket. Same goes with Dhoni - he has calmed down quite a bit as he has encountered more difficult situations in one-day cricket and we've seen him shown signs of better temperament in test cricket as well. Yuvraj, of course, will have to wait his turn to prove that he belongs in test cricket.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
averages and stats alone don't tell the whole story. But having said that, I will admit that Sarwan has won as many matches for Windies in ODIs as Yuvi has for India. But still, I think that Yuvraj is still on his way up as an ODI batsman while Sarwan seems to have stagnated a bit. Right now, I will rate Yuvi better than Sarwan while overall in ODIs I have them down as equals in terms of accomplishments. But I think Yuvraj will become the better ODI batsman as we go along.

In tests, it is Sarwan but again you never know abt the future.

EDIT: btw, I agree with what Prince and Adharcric have said about Yuvraj in tests. I would actually say that it is not his temperament that is the problem. It is his shot selection. If u wanna argue that shot selection is based on temperament, then go on, but in simple terms, I just think he has a problem selecting which balls to attack and which to defend or leave alone.

Last edited:

open365

Spot on, i remember there was a thread on Sarwan about 6 months back where someone pointed out he only averages 25 or something when you discount his not out scores, then i think it was Camps who listed all his not out scores and showed that Sarwan had scored a lot of 70/80/90* . Given the case i don't think his lack of hundreds matters at all.

Michael Bevan, the best ODI bat ever only scored 3 hundreds in his entire career yet he probably won more matches than anyone.

Beleg

International Regular
Sarwan is currently the most 'talented' <30 year old batsmen playing IMO.

as far as actual performance is concerned, Sarwan.

shankar

International Debutant
I would actually say that it is not his temperament that is the problem. It is his shot selection. If u wanna argue that shot selection is based on temperament, then go on, but in simple terms, I just think he has a problem selecting which balls to attack and which to defend or leave alone.
Agree completely. Temperament has never been his problem IMO. The change we've seen in him recently is IMO, due to him seeing himself as a mainstay of the ODI batting lineup and taking on the responsibility of seeing the match through and staying till the end. It also owes a bit to an improvement in his game vs Spin. In tests I would agree with hb, that his shot-selection and merely decent technique lets him down more than any temperamental issues.

Despite the recent improvement (in ODIs) I dont think he's reached the level of Sarwan who seems to be badly underrated. A more apt comparison to Sarwan would be Michael Clarke.