• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geoff Lawson to Coach Pakistan

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Ranatunga stabbed Whatmore in the back with his criticism of Whatmore ...I think that put paid to Whatmore's chances.

Really pathetic from Ranatunga, and very disappointed for Whatmore, because he really deserves better for the efforts he has put in for SL and Bangladesh .

You can't keep a good guy down, and I am sure he will get something come his way or perhaps a State coaching Job in Australia.

haroon510

International 12th Man
pakistan needs a good coach to help them in thier bating not bowling... they need a good opener and dave could have been the right person to provide that for pakistan
thier bowling department could be improved with a assitant coach like aqib..

Craig

World Traveller
Ranatunga stabbed Whatmore in the back with his criticism of Whatmore ...I think that put paid to Whatmore's chances.

Really pathetic from Ranatunga, and very disappointed for Whatmore, because he really deserves better for the efforts he has put in for SL and Bangladesh .

You can't keep a good guy down, and I am sure he will get something come his way or perhaps a State coaching Job in Australia.
Does that not surprise you?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just because he's a bowler doesn't mean he can't help them with their batting, just like you don't need to have been a particularly good player to be a good coach.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Head coach != position coach.

If Pakistan are smart, they will hire a fielding, bowling and batting coach to help Lawson.

Beleg

International Regular
the board is smart enough. they just want a sock puppet, a marionette whose strings they can pull at will. the players like it as well because they can always blame the coach for lack of communication (a total of 1.5 pakistani cricketers might be able to converse in english with lawson properly)

what pakistan needs is a pakistani coach (though that has its own set of ..umm, complications and issues)

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Never had a clue Lawson was any sort of coach, TBH. :wacko:
Lawson is currently working with the New South Wales state team. He does a lot of cricket commentary and is quite astute. He is a really smart guy - optometrist by profession, and has done lots of things since his playing days - including a member of the Board of the NRMA (National Roads and Motorists Association). I think he is a bit left of field for the Pakistan job, but he has always impressed me with his even temper and 'nice guy' image. Perhaps that is what Pakistan needs. Anyway good luck to him - I for one will be watching with great interest.

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
lawson has been behind the scenes with nsw cricket for quite some time, and does have a very valuable bowling and cricketing mind, he helped out all junior teams when i was there at nsw but i am not sure he is suitable for the big stepo into such a crickting loved country. He does have a lot of young guys at his disposal but i think it is one of the toughest jobs in int cricket apart from the indian job. Good luck lawso.

Fusion

Global Moderator
The thing that concerns me is all the rumors floating around that the players lobied against Whatmore because of his strict methods. While I do believe that man-management is an essential part of coaching and that a coach should get the buy-in of his team, discipline is part of that package. I hope the PCB didn't back away from Whatmore because of that reason. Anyway, all the best to Lawson. I hope he does well. Like SS said though, it wouldn't be a bad idea to hire batting and fielding coaches to help him out.

cadet018

Cricket Spectator
well i guess the best thing tht changed the decision to appoint Dav as Pakistan coach was the fact that he refused the job when asked in the first place. He was so keen to be with India, but for some reason BCCI wasnt interested

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Great move, picking a coach from the worlds best cricketing country seems a very popular move nowadays.

Lawson will help the bowling enormously IMO, he's a great thinker of the game and I'm sure we will see a more consistent side with him as coach.