• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Geoff Lawson to Coach Pakistan

cadet018

Cricket Spectator
Excellent news.
i dont think thts an excellent news ....... i mean okay they cant speak english .. so ??
wats the big deal .. they dont have to deliver lectures in university ....... lets their bat n ball do the talkin .... most the brazillian footballers n french tennis players prefer to give interview in their native languages....

i just want Pakistani players to get away frm this "i should learn english" **** n concentrate on cricket

pasag

RTDAS
i dont think thts an excellent news ....... i mean okay they cant speak english .. so ??
wats the big deal .. they dont have to deliver lectures in university ....... lets their bat n ball do the talkin .... most the brazillian footballers n french tennis players prefer to give interview in their native languages....

i just want Pakistani players to get away frm this "i should learn english" **** n concentrate on cricket
Disagree really, it's an international sport and communication is essential, as can be seen in the Ovalgate controversy, where it is believed that had Inzy had better English skills, the drama might have been avoided. Higher communication and level of understanding from the players can only be a good thing, especially with all the drama that seems to surround Pakistan. A simple media conference explaining a position or playing down an incident can often make the whole thing go away, however not talking at all or saying the wrong thing through poor English skills make make incidents, that Pakistan cricket certainly don't need, seem alot worse.

Beleg

International Regular
cadet sahab,

How are they supposed to communicate with their english speaking coach if they can't speak or understand the language properly?

Xuhaib

International Coach
Disagree really, it's an international sport and communication is essential, as can be seen in the Ovalgate controversy, where it is believed that had Inzy had better English skills, the drama might have been avoided. Higher communication and level of understanding from the players can only be a good thing, especially with all the drama that seems to surround Pakistan. A simple media conference explaining a position or playing down an incident can often make the whole thing go away, however not talking at all or saying the wrong thing through poor English skills make make incidents, that Pakistan cricket certainly don't need, seem alot worse.
Well Inzi's english was poor but the rest of the crew which included the manager, coach and the board chairman who was there at the time of the incident were all pretty fluent with their english, I am sure there were others reasons which led to the escalation of this drama and lack of Inzi's good english skills weas certainly not the case.

cadet018

Cricket Spectator
cadet sahab,

How are they supposed to communicate with their english speaking coach if they can't speak or understand the language properly?
i thought u said they shud have pakistani coach ..
cuz either wayz whole team cant/wont learn english ... plus the newbies ... how wud they communicate ?

the thing is that most of the guyz (nearly all) can understand english .. the problem is their speaking power ....
n i dont think Pakistani are really famous to discuss their techniques/issues with coaches...

Beleg

International Regular
I did say they should have a Pakistani coach, simply because most of them are incapable of conversing in English which basically renders a non ****/indian coach useless.

And interpreter, for cricket coaching? Come on. :p

cadet018

Cricket Spectator
havent u watched footballers fighting with refrees ??
most of the footballers cant speak english .. yet they can deliver their point of view to others ..
i just wanna say Pakistani shud be concentrating on their cricket rather then language ..
they had a bad world cup ... rather 2 consecutive worst worldcup ... havent played cricket for so long ... n next big challenge in 1st WC then they will host RSA then they have to host Australia (if this time they decide to visit pakistan). (i guess there is a series with india too in b/w tour of RSA n Aus) ..........
So they shud be concentrating really hard on cricket rather then memorizing vocabulary

Fusion

Global Moderator
English is the international language. The players will need to know the language not just to converse with the new coach, but also the world's media, umpires, officials, players etc. I think it's great that some of them are taking lessons. In fact, the PCB is even considering having an English class at the National Academy.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Not entirely happy with the appointment of Geoff Lawson as i would have prefered Dav Whatmore, however i am hopeful that he can do a good job given the chance. Also, it is good news that Pakistan players are learning English.