• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are Sri lanka capable of winning their next two test series ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Murali and company have set their eyes on winning the two test series in Australia and the three test series at home against the Poms ?

How do you rate their chances of doing so ???

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Against England and at home , there's little doubt in my mind they will.

Australia will be touch and go, and in my opinion it will be a closely fought Test series, SL could win at Brisbane which takes turn from Day 2 onwards.Hobart would be touch and go.
Malinga and Vaas with Dilhara Fernando (+/- Amerasinghe) are the key to both Tests with obviously Murali.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Brisbane which takes turn from Day 2 onwards
:wacko:

Brisbane takes the least turn of any ground in Australia really, with the exception of Hobart of course. It's no coincidence that the two tests are being played where they are, and the groundsmen will back up the coordinators with that as well.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
:wacko:

Brisbane takes the least turn of any ground in Australia really, with the exception of Hobart of course. It's no coincidence that the two tests are being played where they are, and the groundsmen will back up the coordinators with that as well.
That should still be ok, with the missiles Malinga bowls .If Aussies bat first, I am expecting Fun when Malinga bowls those toe crunchers at 145 plus .:)

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
With the England series, it largely depends on what England team turns up. England have this reputation of being absolute chumps against Murali and spin in general, but they haven't done too badly in the last couple of series in Sri Lanka (although I think they got thumped in the last test they played there)

I'm struggling to judge how good England are at the moment; they seem very mercurial whereas with Sri Lanka, you know what you are going to get - three very accomplished bowlers and a middle-order who will destroy you if you give them the opportunity to do so.

England... well, I just can't see that they'll take twenty wickets quickly enough if they persist with bowlers like Plunkett, Mahmood or Broad in test cricket and whilst their batting line up is capable of big runs - they don't have enough reliable scorers and are still prone to those horrible collapses that seemed to plague them throughout the nineties.

Overall though, I'd say that Sri Lanka / England should be a closely contested series - with Sri Lanka emerging 1 - 0 winners.

With the tour to Australia, this largely depends on if Murali is going to tour this time. If he does, I can see Sri Lanka's bowlers troubling the much vaunted Aussie top order. I think Malinga could cause problems for Hayden and I wouldn't want to be the new opener facing him, either. Vaas should still prove difficult enough to score off to create wickets for other bowlers, and of course Murali's box of tricks will take wickets. For Sri Lanka, their middle order is again key when batting and I don't think they'll be as troubled by Clark and Lee as they have been by McGrath over the years. I'd like to see Hilfenhaus get a game for the Ockers though, as I think he would be an ideal bowler to exploit any weaknesses against the moving ball. Tait.... well, I can't see him having as much success against Sri Lanka than other teams as his slingy action creates similar difficulties as Malinga and the Sri Lankan batsman must have a great deal of experience in facing Malinga in the nets by now.

Hopefully this will be another close series - a lot depends on whether Murali tours and whether the Aussie selectors replace Langer, Warne and McGrath well.

haroon510

International 12th Man
if sangakara, jaywardne, in bating and murli in bowling perform consistently they can win it..

Nishan

U19 Cricketer
They will smash England theres no naseser to Rally them this time like they did 2001, :sleep: but aussie they probably get beaten easily in one of the tests by 10 wickets maye

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I can Sri Lanka taking a test of Australia, or maybe pushing for a draw. But wining the Test Series against Australia is very very long shot. Even if Murali has a gun series, you could still see Australia winning 2-0.

England, they should win really, but i guess it depends on which England show up. They tend to go missing overseas, lately.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
They will smash England theres no naseser to Rally them this time like they did 2001, :sleep: but aussie they probably get beaten easily in one of the tests by 10 wickets maye
Be positive Mate, we can beat the Aussies this time.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
What everyone's forgetting is that this will be Australia's first series without Warne and McGrath. If they are to be taken down, this is the best time to do it and SL has the best opportunity to take them , and if they try a little bit hard they are there for the taking...Australia's bowling will be lead by Lee and Stuart Clarke with Macgill and Shane Watson and Tait .

This is really the best chance in a long time any team has ever had , and no better Team to do it than SL. It will be really sweet .:) In fact if they do I am ready to die and go to hell after that.:laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Obviously didn't read my comments earlier in the thread then... :(
I did, I think lot of the others seem to have not read it.

Lee may be the only bowler who may have any effect on SL.

Clarke, Macgill are unlikely to make any impact on the current SL batsman .(this includes Sanath J and Marvan , who I expect to be in the Test squad for Australia) .

And agree with you about Tait , SL Batsman are unlikely to have difficulty since they are accustomed to Malinga.

So its Just Brett Lee alone and SL will need to play him well, and they can . I am expecting Trevor Bayliss to get them fully tuned in on what to expect before the Test series starts.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sri Lanka is one team I'm actually pretty confident of Clark continuing his merry ways against, actually. At home anyway.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
If Asif can run through the Sri Lankan batsmen, i'll be surprised if Clark isn't capable of doing that too.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lanka is one team I'm actually pretty confident of Clark continuing his merry ways against, actually. At home anyway.
Lets see....I don't see SL having much difficulty dealing with any one bar Lee.

And I am not sure what Lee's fitness situation is and how fast he is bowling since his injury...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
If Asif can run through the Sri Lankan batsmen, i'll be surprised if Clark isn't capable of doing that too.
Its the confidance and Psyche ...SL batting is pretty buoyant at the moment ...Most of the batsmen in good nick and provided Sanath J and Tharanga / Marvan get in among the runs...we are ready take the Aussies down ....