• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Muttiah Muralitharan gets 605 Test wickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, that's what I'd clock it as, anyway - I have a different definition of Test to some.

Sadly, I$C$C recognise that nonsense of a Aus-vs-WorldXI game as a Test, plus Bangladesh, plus that abomination of a team put out by Zimbabwe in 2004. So, in their books, he now has 700. :p

Let the tributes begin.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Dire(and I am not talking about Murali's feat). Just your post where you had to whine about ICC in this thread and make a mockery of Murali's name.

Murali is a Champion and no one deserves this more than him. Congratulations to Murali and I hope he takes 1000 test wickets.

Last edited:

short shorts

School Boy/Girl Captain
Wasn't there an article on cricinfo that showed that if Murali had played the other teams instead of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, his tally would still have been only 17 short of what it is now? Not his fault teams like Australia only host Sri Lanka for 2 tests.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Wasn't there an article on cricinfo that showed that if Murali had played the other teams instead of Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, his tally would still have been only 17 short of what it is now? Not his fault teams like Australia only host Sri Lanka for 2 tests.
Too true, but some people dont understand that. Also for his last 100 wickets he got wickets pretty much at the same rate against the minnows and non-minnows.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Agreed. People complain that his stats are boosted by Bangladesh and Zimbabwe, but take them out and he still ****s all over everyone else. Gun of a bowler, fair play to him for 700.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dire(and I am not talking about Murali's feat). Just your post where you had to whine about ICC in this thread and make a mockery of Murali's name.
Haha, WTF? This thread is intended as nothing other than congratulations to a magnificent bowler. Someone can edit the title if it's really neccessary, but to suggest I'm attempting to make a mockery of Murali's name is, frankly, so ludicrous that only a tiny proportion of people would suggest it.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Why not just use his actual name? I don't know why you decided to spell it that way, it makes no sense.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I still legitimately don't see why you changed his name in the title. The wickets - yes I get it, well played. But the name... I'm stumped tbh.

R_D

International Debutant
Haha, WTF? This thread is intended as nothing other than congratulations to a magnificent bowler. Someone can edit the title if it's really neccessary, but to suggest I'm attempting to make a mockery of Murali's name is, frankly, so ludicrous that only a tiny proportion of people would suggest it.
This thread is childish imho... nice way to congratulate someone... i might try that next time Richard lets see what the response will be like in real life.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why not just use his actual name? I don't know why you decided to spell it that way, it makes no sense.
It's to do with David Lloyd's pronunciation of it, nothing more. His pronunciation of Muralitharan's name is the one that sticks in my mind more than anything else.

Yet again, it's a piece of jest from me that people take the wrong way. 8-)

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I know Richard very well in this forum and I know honestly he would not be ridiculing Murali at all.

His intentions as I see it is purely to congratulate the guy, but unfortunately its got perceived the wrong way.

As it has been said above - Murali would still have had nearly the same number of wickets if he had played SA or NZ instead of Zim and Bang and definitely more than the current number if he played England every two years in a 5 Test Ashes like series because England are well known dummies when it comes to playing ordinary spin let alone the highest calibre of the kind of Murali's .

At the end of the day he has exceeded any other bowler in Test Cricket history by taking more Front line Batsman than any other in the game and in fewer Tests than any other . That should be enough to shut anyone up who has questions on his ability and calibre.

He is the greatest spinner. Learn to live with it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
JASON said:
definitely more than the current number if he played England every two years in a 5 Test Ashes
Lol, debatable at best.

Murali v Bangladesh: 8.44 wickets per test @ 11.94
Murali v England: 7.15 wickets per test @ 19.74

JASON said:
He is the greatest spinner. Learn to live with it.
People don't have to live with your criteria though, is the point. People may have a different criteria for judging the greatest spinner other than your simplistic number of top order wickets one - ranging from the statsmen of the world who are bound to have a different mathematic equation for it than that to the average Joes who'd rather just - heaven forbid - watch each bowler bowl for extended periods and base an opinion on their observations.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Ok , so you have struggled with your numbers to show that Murali gets 1 wicket less a Test against England than Bangladesh.

So what it proves, is that if he had played the large number of Tests against England like Warne he would have got 36 Tests x 7 .15 = 257 Test Wickets (Warne by the way v Bang 2 tests 11 wickets , v Zim 1 Test 6 wickets ) instead of 13 Tests and 93 wickets v England and 9 tests 76 wickets v Bang and 14 Tests v Zim with 87 wickets.

Or

Warne 36 tests v England only took 195 wickets .
Murali had he played 36 Tests v England would have taken 36 x 7.15 = 257 wickets.

And would still have gotten more wickets than Warne

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ok , so you have struggled with your numbers to show that Murali gets 1 wicket less a Test against England than Bangladesh.

So what it proves, is that if he had played the large number of Tests against England like Warne he would have got 36 Tests x 7 .15 = 257 Test Wickets (Warne by the way v Bang 2 tests 11 wickets , v Zim 1 Test 6 wickets ) instead of 13 Tests and 93 wickets v England and 9 tests 76 wickets v Bang and 14 Tests v Zim with 87 wickets.

Or

Warne 36 tests v England only took 195 wickets .
Murali had he played 36 Tests v England would have taken 36 x 7.15 = 257 wickets.

And would still have gotten more wickets than Warne
When did Warne become relevant though? The argument was over whether Murali would have taken as many wickets (or more, as you stated!) had he played against England instead of Bangladesh, which isn't the case as he takes them as a slower rate. I really don't care if he has more wickets than Warne or not.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
And no people don't have to live with my criteria, but the most sensible and intelligent criteria to use is winning matches.

And the person who singlehandedly wins more matches than any other - thats simple criteria even for the dumbest people to follow .

And there is only one winner there . Murali .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
When did Warne become relevant though? The argument was over whether Murali would have taken as many wickets (or more, as you stated!) had he played against England instead of Bangladesh, which isn't the case as he takes them as a slower rate. I really don't care if he has more wickets than Warne or not.
Ok, so you are now arguing about 9 more wickets he got against Bangladesh , because he gets 1 more wicket per Test against Bangladesh than against England ?

How ridiculous is that ?

Status
Not open for further replies.