• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India's batting Post Ganguly, Dravid, Tendulkar, Laxman

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I doubt it too, but you get out-of-the-blue recalls for people sometimes, especially in India. Look at Vinod Kambli for instance.

On that subject, is there anyone around (Arjun? Akhil? SJS if he's still alive...) who could tell me how Sarandeep Singh's been going of late, in more than just bare statistical terms (which I could look-up myself if I cudbeaesd) if possible?

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Hmmm...yes he looked a decent off spinner whenever I saw him. And also Arjun/SJS what in the hell has happened to Tinu Yohannen?. Has he just completely fallen away or is there a chance for him to be back in the Indian test team.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, Manan's the only one you need ask about Yohannan. :p Utterly typical of the Indian mentality to seamers. A bit of promise maybe, brought in far too young, did poorly, disappeared without trace.

Nishant

International 12th Man
I hope Dravid goes gracefully, being replaced by the next long term India captain as he retires from international cricket.

I think India have a wealth of talent from those who have performed superbly in Domestic Cricket to replace the big four.

Averaging over 45 in FC Cricket at an age of under 31 are:
- Sehwag
- Jaffer
- Gambhir
- Raina
- Tiwary
- Badrinath
- Hemang Badani

Although having less impressive FC records, these people are also prospects:
- Uthappa
- Kaif
- Yuvraj Singh (still not in the Test side, could replace Laxman)

As for the one day game, many have impressive List A records, here are those with averages over 35 in List A cricket under the age of 30
- Uthappa
- Raina
- Kaif
- Badrinath
- Rohit Sharma
- Jaffer
- Manoj Tiwary
- Sourav Tiwary

But also there are those with less impressive records but still with potential
- Sehwag
- Gambhir
- Dinesh Karthik
- Dinesh Mongia
Taking that into account, one would say that india have some talented batsmen to come. But the thing is that it would be really difficult to fill the shoes of tendulkar, Dravid, ganguly etc. The talent india have is good...but the real question is; will they really perform on the big stage? Plus, looking at some of the names you have given such as raina...i see a lot of average players...but no real stars as such. BUT...thats not necessarily a bad thing.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Taking that into account, one would say that india have some talented batsmen to come. But the thing is that it would be really difficult to fill the shoes of tendulkar, Dravid, ganguly etc. The talent india have is good...but the real question is; will they really perform on the big stage? Plus, looking at some of the names you have given such as raina...i see a lot of average players...but no real stars as such. BUT...thats not necessarily a bad thing.
Raina is not average by any stretch of the imagination. He averages 46.12 in FC cricket and 36.34 in List A cricket with a strike rate of 84.99. He is also a very good fielder.

Nishant

International 12th Man
Raina is not average by any stretch of the imagination. He averages 46.12 in FC cricket and 36.34 in List A cricket with a strike rate of 84.99. He is also a very good fielder.
i know that he has done well in domestic cricket. But, in the internatinal arena, he was far from excellent TBH. Plus, most of the pitches he would have played on in domestic cricket would have been flat belters (im not too sure, so correct me if im wrong).

BUT, with that said, he is still young and could still develop into an awesome cricketer. But that will take time.