• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top 10 ODI Openers

Xuhaib

International Coach
Instead of comparing every opener one by one with Knight, lets get it done with in one thread.:p

1.Sachin
2.Anwar
3.Haynes
4.Jayasuriya
5.Gilchrist
6.M.Waugh
7.Ganguly
8.Astle
9.Kirsten
10.Gayle

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No point lumping Haynes in with that lot IMO, was from a different age.

A list of the 1990s and 2000s... in no particular order...
Ganguly
Anwar
Jayasuriya
Mark Waugh
Knight
Tendulkar
Astle
Smith (G)
Kirsten
Gilchrist
Gayle
Trescothick

Xuhaib

International Coach
No point lumping Haynes in with that lot IMO, was from a different age.

A list of the 1990s and 2000s... in no particular order...
Ganguly
Anwar
Jayasuriya
Mark Waugh
Knight
Tendulkar
Astle
Smith (G)
Kirsten
Gilchrist
Gayle
Trescothick
Who would be your top 5 ODI openers circa 71-90

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, nah, obviously, but... they were innings worthy of any ODI player in history.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Who would be your top 5 ODI openers circa 71-90
Hmm, that's a tricky one... the list would certainly be much shorter...

Gooch
Amiss
Broad
Greenidge
Haynes
are the only names that come immediately to mind. This doesn't mean much - I must say, ODIs of that time aren't something that have ever held innate fascination for me, I'm far more interested in the stuff of 1990 onwards. Someone who has more of a memory of the time would be much better-placed to compile said list.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Hmm, that's a tricky one... the list would certainly be much shorter...

Gooch
Amiss
Broad
Greenidge
Haynes
are the only names that come immediately to mind. This doesn't mean much - I must say, ODIs of that time aren't something that have ever held innate fascination for me, I'm far more interested in the stuff of 1990 onwards. Someone who has more of a memory of the time would be much better-placed to compile said list.
Not many are there really, for Pakistan maybe Majid Khan and Ramiz Raja

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You see, I don't know the first thing about their ODI exploits. The first thing I know of any relevance about Pakistan came in 1992. :@

tooextracool

International Coach
I am only going to rate players that i actually watched bat, and therefore i cannot make any judgement on players before 1992. As Richard as already mentioned ODIs since and including the 92 world cup were of a completely different genre to the ones before anyways, so it fits in nicely:

1. Sachin Tendulkar- undoubtedly the best opener ever
2. Brian Lara- given that he played over 50 innings in that position with distinction, i dont see why he shouldnt be included on this list.
3. Shivnarine Chanderpaul- played more innings at the top than anywhere else, and as good an ODI opener as you will ever see.
4. Nick Knight
5. Mark Waugh
6. Saurav Ganguly
7. Matt Hayden
8. Graeme Smith
9. Marcus Trescothick - IMO what really makes me like Trescothick is that when he gets in, he gets to 3 figures consistently. Further, theres always a settling feeling when hes at the crease because he paces his innings brilliantly while batting first or second with the minimum of risk.
10. Sanath Jayasuriya/Adam Gilchrist

I was going to include Anwar, but then had a look at his record and realised that he only managed he only managed one 50+ score against both Australia and SA(the two best teams of his era) in his entire career.

adharcric

International Coach
I am only going to rate players that i actually watched bat, and therefore i cannot make any judgement on players before 1992. As Richard as already mentioned ODIs since and including the 92 world cup were of a completely different genre to the ones before anyways, so it fits in nicely:

2. Brian Lara- given that he played over 50 innings in that position with distinction, i dont see why he shouldnt be included on this list.
3. Shivnarine Chanderpaul- played more innings at the top than anywhere else, and as good an ODI opener as you will ever see.
4. Nick Knight
5. Mark Waugh
6. Saurav Ganguly
7. Matt Hayden
8. Graeme Smith
9. Marcus Trescothick - IMO what really makes me like Trescothick is that when he gets in, he gets to 3 figures consistently. Further, theres always a settling feeling when hes at the crease because he paces his innings brilliantly while batting first or second with the minimum of risk.

I was going to include Anwar, but then had a look at his record and realised that he only managed he only managed one 50+ score against both Australia and SA(the two best teams of his era) in his entire career.
Chanderpaul 3, Knight 4? Wow.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

4. Nick Knight
5. Mark Waugh
6. Saurav Ganguly
7. Matt Hayden
8. Graeme Smith

Gotta agree with ur list mostly, but with a few tweaks.

Would have Gilchrist, Mark Waugh and Sourav above Knight and Chanderpaul there. But otherwise, that would be my list. Would probably have Kirsten instead of Smith though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
They werent in order. If it were, it would be more like this:

Tendulkar>Waugh>Ganguly>Lara>Knight>Chanderpaul>Trescothick>Hayden>Smith>Jayasuriya/Gilchrist

LOL Tendulkar the best, but you still think he is the most overrated player ever, lol