• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket's most over rated players

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Apparently, in a recent interview, Shane Watson was asked to select the players he most considered to be overrated in international cricket. The three he choose were Graeme Smith, Ian Bell and James Franklin.

Now, setting aside the obvious irony of a man lauded by the Australian media as cricket's next great all rounder despite failing to score a hundred or take a 5 wicket bag in either form of the game after more than 5 years in the Australian team, being asked to name the most overrated players in international cricket, do you agree with him? Who else have been the overhyped underachievers of the modern game?

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
The MOST Overated player in international Cricket in ALL forms of the game is...........(drum roll)........Shane (bloody) Watson!

My old Gran used to say "People who live in glass houses should not throw stones". Mr. Watson should take heed.

pasag

RTDAS
Haha wtf, because some overrate him, he's therefore not allowed to discuss other players he feels are overrated? Worst logic.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Off the top of my head, if we're comparing reputation to performance ...

Brett Lee
Danish Kaneria
Alastair Cook
Graeme Smith
Hershelle Gibbs
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Chris Gayle

A year ago, I'd have included guys like Harmison & Laxman, but I don't think anyone over-rates them nowadays.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Off the top of my head, if we're comparing reputation to performance ...

Brett Lee
Danish Kaneria
Alastair Cook
Graeme Smith
Hershelle Gibbs
Ramnaresh Sarwan
Chris Gayle

A year ago, I'd have included guys like Harmison & Laxman, but I don't think anyone over-rates them nowadays.

Harsh one feels.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Going through it country by country, I'd say
Australia: Watson
England: Harmison
Sri Lanka: Tharanga
Pakistan: Afridi
New Zealand: Vettori
India - Pathan
West Indies: Gayle
South Africa - Smith

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
(re Cook & Gibbs) Harsh one feels.

Possibly. I do rate Cook actually, but I think he's sometimes lauded beyond his achievements insofar as the really top notch guys would be making 200+ against WI and last year's Pakistan attack if they made it to 3 figures.

As for Gibbs, how much has he done over the last couple of years?

Flem274*

123/5
Hmm

Orams ODI batting
Lee
Tait
Dhoni
Simon Jones
Flintoffs batting

How long do ya reckon until SP rips into me for those England players?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Hmm

Orams ODI batting
Lee
Tait
Dhoni
Simon Jones
Flintoffs batting

How long do ya reckon until SP rips into me for those England players?
You should be OK - it's not as if you mentioned Harmy, Colly or Plunkers. As for Jones, it depends who you mean. There was one guy on another thread who reckoned he only had one good game for England :laugh:

And is Flintoff's batting still rated by anyone nowadays? I reckon you're about 9 months too late with that call.

pasag

RTDAS
I feel that some may be confusing people getting excited about the potential in players with the actual 'rating' of them. Also Tests and ODIs should be specified ie with Lee, he may be overrated in Tests but I reckon he is quite underrated, by some at least, in ODIs. And this topic has been done a thousand times tbh.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I feel that some may be confusing people getting excited about the potential in players with the actual 'rating' of them. Also Tests and ODIs should be specified ie with Lee, he may be overrated in Tests but I reckon he is quite underrated, by some at least, in ODIs. And this topic has been done a thousand times tbh.
Yes, but it does change quite regularly, as I said about Harmison & Fred's batting. Another example - TEC could point out that Strauss was over-rated by many folks 12 months ago, whereas nowadays his limitations are painfully obvious.

Agreed about tests/odis though.

Last edited: