• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

LBW Laws

mike

Cricket Spectator
Can anyone tell me why a ball on the full toss hitting the batsmans foot in front of his stumps is NOT OUT. I have been toan umpiring school and that is what they are saying. Anyone else heard this piece of rubbish ??

Lach

School Boy/Girl Captain
Yeah all sounds a bit suss to me, not quite sure what the official ruling is. There's a set of laws on the site, so maybe have a browse through there and see what you can find. Might be a hidden clause there somewhere. Who knows?

Yours in Cricket

Lach.

mike

Cricket Spectator
Lach

Thanks but I have looked at the laws and it is not clear. The logic is (as stated to me)

If in the opinion of the umpire the ball has not pitched and would pitch before hitting the stumps then the batsman cannot be given out as the umpire cannot be certain what the ball would do after pitching.

I understand this logic but it does not gel with what I see from International umpires.

Also it is difficult to give a bloke not out when he is 3 feet in front of the stumps and with the ball hitting his toe in line with middle !!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I guess it's all part of the umpire's job. In theory an inswinger could hit the man in fromt of middle, but be going on down legside, even if it hits him on the crease.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Or what if it was Shane Warne bowling around the wicket and the ball is to pitch on middle just in front of the crease?

Clearly you just have to judge each ball on it's merits.

Incidentally, in a recent national league game Michael Clarke was hit on the toe in front of about middle by an inswinging delivery from Glamorgan's Andrew Davies. The commentators said he was plumb, but I wasn't convinced the ball wasn't missing leg stump. Later when Michael Holding came on he said he thought it was missing, and encouraged the viewers to email in, and amongst viewers there was probably about a 50-50 split in opnions, suggesting there was at least enough doubt to give the benefit to the batsman.

Of course this was a long time after the event and I was only bitter at the time because Hants were doing so badly! But hopefully it is an example of when the ball can do as described and not be hitting the stumps. :)

SpaceMonkey

International Debutant
Bazza said:
Or what if it was Shane Warne bowling around the wicket and the ball is to pitch on middle just in front of the crease?

Clearly you just have to judge each ball on it's merits.

Incidentally, in a recent national league game Michael Clarke was hit on the toe in front of about middle by an inswinging delivery from Glamorgan's Andrew Davies. The commentators said he was plumb, but I wasn't convinced the ball wasn't missing leg stump. Later when Michael Holding came on he said he thought it was missing, and encouraged the viewers to email in, and amongst viewers there was probably about a 50-50 split in opnions, suggesting there was at least enough doubt to give the benefit to the batsman.

Of course this was a long time after the event and I was only bitter at the time because Hants were doing so badly! But hopefully it is an example of when the ball can do as described and not be hitting the stumps. :)

If a spin bowler hits a batsmen on the full then he has to assume the ball wont spin and just goes straight on.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
This has to be the biggest thread-digging of all time, ever.

Anyway, as far as I knew, there's nothing stopping the umpire giving LBW to a full toss so long as it's going dead straight at the stumps... obviously if it's swinging/turning and missing then don't give it, but if it's a dead straight pie that the batsman just hoiked across (à la Tino Best) then goodnight, mate.

Certainly would be off back to the pavilion if I was in t'middle, anyway...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Bazza said:
Of course this was a long time after the event and I was only bitter at the time because Hants were doing so badly!

You're not used to that by now Bazza?! ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I just went to "last page" and dug-up the first thread that wasn't closed.
Forever now the first thread will be "how do you post..." because it's closed and no-one can ever dig it up...

Craig

World Traveller
Richard said:
I just went to "last page" and dug-up the first thread that wasn't closed.
Forever now the first thread will be "how do you post..." because it's closed and no-one can ever dig it up...
:laugh:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Did anyone ever manage to find-out which was marc's first-ever CW post?
If not, I can tell you that IT WAS NEARLY THIS ONE!!!!!
marc71178 said:
I guess it's all part of the umpire's job. In theory an inswinger could hit the man in fromt of middle, but be going on down legside, even if it hits him on the crease.
That also makes it twice that I've now dug-up this thread.

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
This has to be the biggest thread-digging of all time, ever.
I think this applies again.

Congratulations on reviving a thread thats been dead over a year, for the second time. If this thread was human you'd be one miracle off a sainthood.

But its a good question, to which i'd answer...

Havent a clue.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh the irony of someone nicknamed 'cpr' particpating in the revival of a long-dead thread............