• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England an Option - Saqlain

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Keedy > Saqlain as well. He hasn't been in great form for the Sussex second team, so I don't think he's an option at the moment.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I like Saqlain, but it makes a nonsense of international competition that he can play for England after playing for Pakistan. I hope it doesn't happen, however well he performs for Sussex.

Craig

World Traveller
Would be a backward step now after what has happened to him. On a another note would be able to go down as one of the best bowlers of the last half of the 90s and the early part of this century? Yes IMO.

I like Saqlain, but it makes a nonsense of international competition that he can play for England after playing for Pakistan. I hope it doesn't happen, however well he performs for Sussex.
Would that apply to Kepler Wessels as well?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

"It hurts that no one bothered to just call me or ask me how I was doing. It was as if I didn't exist. I didn't care about them footing my medical bills but the moral support was never there," said Saqlain, who took 288 wickets in 169 one-day internationals for Pakistan.

Wait, the Pakistan board does not pay medical bills for players when they are injured playing cricket?

Fiery

Banned

"It hurts that no one bothered to just call me or ask me how I was doing. It was as if I didn't exist. I didn't care about them footing my medical bills but the moral support was never there," said Saqlain, who took 288 wickets in 169 one-day internationals for Pakistan.

Wait, the Pakistan board does not pay medical bills for players when they are injured playing cricket?
He's saying "I didn't care about them footing my medical bills"....which suggests they did

Xuhaib

International Coach

The expenditure on Akhtar is soo much that nothing is left in the kitty for other players.

Fiery

Banned
The expenditure on Akhtar is soo much that nothing is left in the kitty for other players.
Exactly!! That pea-hearted/drug-taking/injury-feigning/money-hungry drop-kick is the scourge of Pakistan and world cricket

Last edited:

short shorts

School Boy/Girl Captain
Apparently he managed to rile Sreesanth in the tour game so much that Sreesanth found it necessary to give him his trademark jigglebums sendoff after dismissing him.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Disvalues the whole Test cap then?
It certainly does away with any idea of representing your country.

The 19th century was the worse with players playing for England one series and Australia the next and then the other way around. Now that was farcical.
Yup, although tbh I don't know how often that actually happened. Still doesn't mean it should happen today though.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I hope not - IMO you shouldn't be allowed to play for two countries (that's why I didn't mind KP playing for us but wouldn't want Pothas) but in any case he has to bowl well for Sussex first to make it an issue.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Apparently he managed to rile Sreesanth in the tour game so much that Sreesanth found it necessary to give him his trademark jigglebums sendoff after dismissing him.
Think that was something to do with the fact that Saqlain stood his ground as the ball didn't actually hit the glove and shouldn't have been given out.

Anyway, not like riling Sreesanth is unusual.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly!! That pea-hearted/drug-taking/injury-feigning/money-hungry drop-kick is the scourge of Pakistan and world cricket
Disagree with pretty much all of that except the money-hungry part (and let's face it - aren't you? I certainly am, and I hope most others are, otherwise they've no sense) but I'd prefer not do this one AGAIN. :)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I find this an awkward issue, TBH. I, like you, think it does in a way devalue the aspect of playing for your team. But let's face it... people skip teams at domestic level, in many sports, all the time, and club cricketers move around ad nauseum, sometimes within the same league. Why's it so different when countries, rather than parts of countries, are involved? If you want to adopt something as your country, why shouldn't you?

Me, I just wish people stuck with the same club, county\state\province and country full-stop, as that's what I do and can imagine doing nothing but. Playing for anyone but Exeter CC would feel, I don't know, hollow. But sadly, that ain't how life works. Sometimes, change is unavoidable. And most people are quite content to change.