• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England an Option - Saqlain

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
How much bowling has Saqlain been doing for anyone in 4-day cricket of late?
*Checks Sussex's results*

The tour match was his first bowl for the 1stX1 in a match lasting more than one day. I imagine he's bowled quite a bit for the 2nd X1 tbh.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly. And Second XI cricket isn't generally the best indicator of someone's international credentials.

Anyway, they're all 3-dayers there. ;)

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
I find this an awkward issue, TBH. I, like you, think it does in a way devalue the aspect of playing for your team. But let's face it... people skip teams at domestic level, in many sports, all the time, and club cricketers move around ad nauseum, sometimes within the same league. Why's it so different when countries, rather than parts of countries, are involved? If you want to adopt something as your country, why shouldn't you?

Me, I just wish people stuck with the same club, county\state\province and country full-stop, as that's what I do and can imagine doing nothing but. Playing for anyone but Exeter CC would feel, I don't know, hollow. But sadly, that ain't how life works. Sometimes, change is unavoidable. And most people are quite content to change.
But even in money mad football, they don't change countries any more (they used to but they changed the rules.If you play one competitive football match for a country your'e stuck. I don't think this should apply to CC because sometimes you need a move to get a game, especially for 'keepers and spinners (think Steve Rhodes and John Emburey for instance and coming right up to date, Tim Ambrose).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Just because something works one way in football doesn't neccessarily mean it has to in cricket. As I say, I see that people sometimes feel they need to move, but I don't like it.

And I like it no more or less for parts of countries than whole countries, as I say.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Outside of this, on a similar vein, Gerald Majola was complaining about an exodus of players from South Africa to England. We see several familiar names in there- Jacques Rudolph, Martin van Jaarsveld, Claude Henderson, but a surprise was Lance Klusener. Comments?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Think Klusener only went once he felt his international prospects were gone, as opposed to the others who all had(\have?) genuine international aspirations during their time.

short shorts

School Boy/Girl Captain
off course he doens't have the right to be that aggrassive to abuse and insult someone considering that he hasn't live up to that performance.. i mean if guys like shane bond, malinga, asif, bret lee, shaoib or pollock do what sreesanth is doing, it doesn't look bad as much as sreesanth is doing it.. simply because he isn't on that level to do this and his performance hasn't been the prove of his atitude.. i mean common u see this guy who has the ability of a club in bowling department and insulting, disrespecting and abusing guys like Ricky pointing, inzi and soo on who are the legends in thier departments.. just proves him low life and a person who lacks respect for elders..

i personally find him really coward and the type of loud mouth who does less and talk more.... here is the prove of what i am saying here..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Cq8-ZkfcJiM

it is kind of funny too.. he says something to inzi but when inzi comes in to confront him he runs a way..
a good way to insult ur self by doing this and show the world how coward are u

here is another this is just a disgrace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgXnkbrgQMw&mode=related&search=

i mean what the hell no respect, no sportman ship what so ever.
What the ****? A guy says to a bowler " I'm going to hit you for six" in a FC game, thats as disrespectful as it gets. I don't care if the batsman is Bradman and the bowler some no hoper. Its just not done. Once you've shown yourself to be as arrogant as that, you lose any moral ground on whatever happens therafter. I suppose next you'll be defending Amir Sohail for his "I'm going to hit you for four in that direction" to Prasad. Jeez, what a coward, that Prasad! 8-)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well Saqlain is young enough, if he can have a good season or two & get back anywhere close to his peak form England would be crazy not the consider him & Pakistan haha would be even worst off to let him play for England.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Batty and Dawson maybe, but his recent deeds seem to me to place him at the lowly Keedy, Middlebrook level, TBH.
Even without my pro-Lancashire bias, I'd say Keedy is well above the names mentioned there in terms of Test cricket.

open365

Batty and Dawson maybe, but his recent deeds seem to me to place him at the lowly Keedy, Middlebrook level, TBH.
Dawson is abysmal at the longer form of the game, he averages 42 in FC cricket, how dare you rank him higher than Gary Keedy

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Even without my pro-Lancashire bias, I'd say Keedy is well above the names mentioned there in terms of Test cricket.
Nah, I don't think so. Just another average fingerspinner.

In fact, I reckon that had he been picked as Dawson and Batty were (remember, Batty's FC record isn't terrible at all) he'd have turned-out just as useless.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What the ****? A guy says to a bowler " I'm going to hit you for six" in a FC game, thats as disrespectful as it gets. I don't care if the batsman is Bradman and the bowler some no hoper. Its just not done. Once you've shown yourself to be as arrogant as that, you lose any moral ground on whatever happens therafter. I suppose next you'll be defending Amir Sohail for his "I'm going to hit you for four in that direction" to Prasad. Jeez, what a coward, that Prasad! 8-)
A tip: don't take haroon too much to heart.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, I don't think so. Just another average fingerspinner.
Haha, that is so harsh. He used to be a pretty average spinner but the number of wickets he's taken in the last 3-4 years show that's he's better than your "average" spnner like Batty or Dawson who don't have the figures to back up their claim.

open365

Keedy > Dawson. Did you think I was saying otherwise?
Well as you said

"Batty and Dawson maybe, but his lowly deeds seem to place him at the lowly middlebrook/keedy level"

Which clearly shows you putting Batty and Dawson ahead of the lowly Keedy and Middlebrook

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, that is so harsh. He used to be a pretty average spinner but the number of wickets he's taken in the last 3-4 years show that's he's better than your "average" spnner like Batty or Dawson who don't have the figures to back up their claim.
Batty's not much different.

A fingerspinner is a fingerspinner. You've got to be pretty special to stand-out. Giles was better than most, Panesar is a bit better still.

I can't really see that Keedy is, TBH.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well as you said

"Batty and Dawson maybe, but his lowly deeds seem to place him at the lowly middlebrook/keedy level"

Which clearly shows you putting Batty and Dawson ahead of the lowly Keedy and Middlebrook
Nah. Was saying that Saqlain = Middlebrook\Keedy and those three > Batty\Dawson

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes he is, Batty has taken nowhere near the quantity of wickets that Keedy has taken in the last 3-4 years so Keedy for me must be the far superior spinner.
He might not have taken the volume of wickets but his average between about 2002 and 2006 was pretty similar to Keedy's from about 2003-2004 onwards.