• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Man of the Match

So should the Man of the Match be from the Winning team?

• Total voters

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
I was thinking about it and thought maybe ICC should make a rule where the Man of the Match has to be from the winning team. What do you think?

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
No. A MotM should be awarded on the overall impact on a match that a player has wielded. Whether that impact is showcased in entertainment value, impeding the eventual winners or actually swinging it for a side is immaterial - they're all criteria that are equally important in a Test match that ebbs and flows. Questionable to suggest that your efforts don't deserve recognition if your team doesn't get results.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I voted yes. IMO the man of the match should go to the player who had the most impact on the result of the match. If a player plays out of his skin and his team loses anyway, he has had 0 impact on the result of the match anyway and hence should not get the award, IMO.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Umm, what if the match is drawn?

Another example - Vaughan MOTS in the 02-03 Ashes in a side which was well beaten.

Days of Grace

International Captain
'Ow bout Big Jake's effort against the Aussies at Perth. It that didn't deserve a MOM from a losing side then nothing will.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No, I feel it would be a very stupid rule. Say a player scores a double century and takes 10 wickets in an innings, are you going to deny him the award because of the rest of his team are ****?

cover drive man

International Captain
No man of the match is more about the player than the team. Example my man of the england-west indies series was chandrapaul.

Swervy

International Captain
Man Of The Match is the player who has had the most outstanding performance, given the circumstances in which he performed , no matter what the result.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yup, we already have something to give to the team that performed better: it's called a win. Man of the match is the individual person who had the most outstanding individual contribution to the match, regardless of the result.

If one team had bunch of bowlers who took 3 wickets each, and the other team had one bowler who had a hat trick and ended up with 12 wickets in the match (and still lost)....it would be ludicrous to just pick one of the 3 wicket bowlers IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I voted yes. IMO the man of the match should go to the player who had the most impact on the result of the match. If a player plays out of his skin and his team loses anyway, he has had 0 impact on the result of the match anyway and hence should not get the award, IMO.
IMO it should go to the player whose performance in the match has been the most impressive. I see what you're saying, though, and given how *official* MOTMs are becoming (people even talk about players career judgement based partly on MOTMs, when even just a few years ago one was awarded to the groundstaff - with plenty of merit in it - after a ridiculously rain-affected game) I think there should be some sort of exact definition as to what they're awarded for.

Is it "impact on the match result" or is it "performance in the match"? Right now, it's nothing but on-the-whim-of-the-Match-Referee\TV-viewers.

And when people are arguing that Sachin Tendulkar is a lesser batsman because of a lack of Test MOTM awards, that's cause for concern.

Unattainableguy

State 12th Man
I think I know it's not fair to the player who actually has the best performance in the match, but think about if you're a fan (or even the player himself), and if your team loses you don't even care about who the man of the match is anymore. So it just makes more sense if it goes to someone from the winning team.

And like someone said, even if a player does really well, hes had zero impact on the result if his team lost. But the point is the guy with the best performance from the other team even though it wasn't as good deserves more credit because it had more impact on the result, and that's the only thing that matters in the end.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think I know it's not fair to the player who actually has the best performance in the match, but think about if you're a fan (or even the player himself), and if your team loses you don't even care about who the man of the match is anymore.
I don't agree. Cricket is about so much more than the result of the match, more so than virtually any other team game.

Yes, the result of match (and series\tournament) is the most important thing, but there is much besides that and that's the way it's always been.

Cricket is a team sport played by individuals. Most team sports are played by teams.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
No it should go to the beat performance. This Test is an example of what I mean :
http://www.cricketweb.net/statsspider/test/272.php
Of course I don't think they had MOTM awards in those days but two centuaries in a test match is a fantastic feat and it is not George Headley's fault that the rest of the Windies batting wasn't up to the mark (sounds familiar?). What shouldn't hapen is what hapened in an other England v Windies Test at Lord's where the adudacator couldn't decide between Greenidge and Botham and gave it to them both. PS - in this Test - http://www.cricketweb.net/statsspider/test/1441.php -in what I'd call the ultimate fudge - the MOTM award went to the SA team!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Nah, no MOTMs in those days. :) Otherwise, Andrew Sandham would've won in in that oldest-XI-ever Test a few years before.

I think the groundstaff winning the MOTM is even better than the SA team doing, TBH - annoyingly, I can't remember which game it was.

Engle

State Vice-Captain
In a local Eng LOI, John Abrahams won MOTM just for captaincy. Did nothing noteworthy with bat or ball.

Another local Eng match had the spectators give a rousing applause to a runner, who ran over a hundred runs in each innings. Not sure if he got MOTM tho.