• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

My Idea for a T-WC

Xuhaib

International Coach
Here is my Idea.

Reason: Off season for all the countries and a good number of quality grounds.

Number of teams: All 9 test playing nations

Format: 3 groups of three with matches being played simultaneously. After the first stage 2 teams from each group advance and then we are down with 6 , In 2nd stage follow the same format but this time 2 groups instead of 3. Two teams advance from each group and then we are left with 4 teams this allows us to have a semi-final and final.

Duration: 1st stage one month
2nd stage one month
Final and Semi-Final 2 or 3 weeks

Total: 10 or 11 weeks

Matches played by each team: Max 6 and Min 2

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
well, it will take 3 months almost...... And we have to see whether England will not mind having so many neutral matches there. Viewership may not be that great. And I think we will need squads of 20-22 guys.

Xuhaib

International Coach
well, it will take 3 months almost...... And we have to see whether England will not mind having so many neutral matches there. Viewership may not be that great. And I think we will need squads of 20-22 guys.
England matches will be played infront of packed houses while games invoving Pakistan and India would also get good crowds and knowing the people love for test cricket in UK we may also get good crowds in the Semi's and the Final. I would say that all in all atleast 60 % of the games will be well attended.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
England matches will be played infront of packed houses while games invoving Pakistan and India would also get good crowds and knowing the people love for test cricket in UK we may also get good crowds in the Semi's and the Final. I would say that all in all atleast 60 % of the games will be well attended.
What times would you play the matches? It would be good if they were at a time that suited Sub Continent/Australia IMO.

The tournament should be short and sweet, what you said sounded too long, surely there could be 2 games on the same day, and teams playing every couple of days.

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
The tournament should be short and sweet, what you said sounded too long, surely there could be 2 games on the same day, and teams playing every couple of days.
That's what he said!

I think going in with just eight teams (perhaps discard the weakest based on current ranking?) would be best. Then, you could have two groups of four (A and B), which would make it a lot easier:

Week 1: A1 vs A2, A3 vs A4
Week 2: B1 vs B2, B3 vs B4
Week 3: A2 vs A3, A1 vs A4
Week 4: B2 vs B3, B1 vs B4
Week 5: A1 vs A3, A2 vs A4
Week 6: B1 vs B3, B2 vs B4
Week 7: SF1: 2ndA vs 1stB
Week 8: SF2: 1stA vs 2ndB
Week 9: winSF1 vs winSF2

It would only give teams one chance...but then, it should be a proper knockout competition!

I've allowed a week per match, which allows for a lot of rest days...perhaps schedule a sixth day per match, only to be used in case of bad light or rain?

If required, in the group stage, you could have (literally) back-to-back Tests...as the groups alternate, this would allow five (or six) days' rest between matches for each team. The semi-finals could also be run concurrently...or as a single group of four, with two matches each (plus one result carried over from the first group stage), then the top two having a one-off final.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
That's what he said!
Oh. Why does the first stage take a month to complete? I don't want games played at the same time, they should be played after each other so all matches can be shown live.

EDIT - LOL I thought this was for Twenty 20 cricket dont worry about me.

Last edited:

Xuhaib

International Coach
Week 1-Team A vs Team C
Week 2-Team A vs Team B
Week 3-Team B vs Team C
Week 4-Rest

steds

Hall of Fame Member
What times would you play the matches? It would be good if they were at a time that suited Sub Continent/Australia IMO.
It's hard enough getting good enough weather to play in times that suit us, never mind the middle of the night.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
It's hard enough getting good enough weather to play in times that suit us, never mind the middle of the night.
Yeah sorry mate, I understood his idea of a T-WC as twenty 20, so what I wrote doesn't apply to test cricket.

I have no idea why all 3 groups would have to be played in England, surely playing in a different country for each group would make more sense.