• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Long awaited Indian Squad for the WC

V Reddy

International Debutant
Ganguly retained as India captain for World Cup
Reuters - 18 December 2002

CALCUTTA, India (Reuters) - Saurav Ganguly has been retained as captain of the Indian team for the 2003 World Cup in South Africa.

India's selectors named a preliminary squad of 30 players for the tournament, which has to be pruned to 15 by December 31 according to International Cricket Council (ICC) regulations.

They also named on Wednesday 14 players for a seven-match one-day series in New Zealand starting on December 26.

World Cup probables: Saurav Ganguly (captain), Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Mohammad Kaif, Yuvraj Singh, Sanjay Bangar, Zaheer Khan, Javagal Srinath, Harbhajan Singh, Anil Kumble, Ajit Agarkar, Parthiv Patel, Vangipurappu Laxman, Tinu Yohannan, Rakesh Patel, Dinesh Mongia, Gautam Gambhir, Sarandeep Singh, Murali Kartik, Ashish Nehra, Lakshmipathy Balaji, Jaiprakash Yadav, Reetinder Singh Sodhi, Irfan Pathan, Deep Dasgupta, Rohan Gavaskar, Venkatesh Prasad, Sairaj Bahutule, Avishkar Salvi.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Originally posted by chris.hintonwhat no Kotak
OK seriously now what is this guy on? He's starting to invent players who should be in the Indian world cup squad? Talk about delirious!! I'll have two of whatever he's had!!!! :P:lol::D:frog:

V Reddy

International Debutant
No there is a player in Saurashtra team. He is a good player in domestic cricket but has never been really in the reckoning

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
Originally posted by chris.hintonwhat no Kotak
OK seriously now what is this guy on? He's starting to invent players who should be in the Indian world cup squad? Talk about delirious!! I'll have two of whatever he's had!!!! :P:lol::D:frog:
Well he's created the legend that is Kadder Ali :lol::lol::lol:

V Reddy

International Debutant
Nope maybe he is there just to make up numbers. Also he has not been picked for NZ series so puts him out anyway.

Bazza

International 12th Man
Probably haven't actually got any other bowlers so have to pick has-been's and never-will-be's!! :P

Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
Probably haven't actually got any other bowlers so have to pick has-been's and never-will-be's!! :P
That is a very stupid statement, showing how ignorant some people can be.

Prasad has been in the 30 player pool only because he is EXPERIANCED and the only otyher experianced pacers happen to be Srinath(whose fitness is in question) and Khan (relatively experianced).The only way Prasad can make into the team is if both Srinath nd Khan somehow aren't able to get a place in WC squad!

There are some extremely good prospects in Irfan Pathan, a speedy bowler who has done at domestic level.Then there is Mumbai's Avishkar Salvi, he is suppose to have the most deadly yorkers in the game.Other Talented pacers are Balaji and Yohannan. The only thing that goes against these talented pacer is that they have no experiance of playing at International level, therefore they are likely to miss the Squad.However after WC we will definately see Pathan and Avishkar Salvi in the Indian team!

Originally posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
Originally posted by sheerindianspeed
he is suppose to have the most deadly yorkers in the game
I somehow doubt he's got the best yorker in the game.
I was only comparing him with Indian pacers as he has not played an International match yet.I've seen the guy and he is good.

masterblaster

International Captain
Well Nehra was 'good' a couple of years back in domestic cricket.

Im afraid 'Good' doesn't cut it anymore.

India have had 'Good' pacers before, but 'Good' isn't 'Great'

And India doesnt need 'Good' pacers, they need 'Great' Pacers.

Originally posted by masterblaster
Well Nehra was 'good' a couple of years back in domestic cricket.

Im afraid 'Good' doesn't cut it anymore.

India have had 'Good' pacers before, but 'Good' isn't 'Great'

And India doesnt need 'Good' pacers, they need 'Great' Pacers.
Great pacer??? It take time to get oneself recognize as "Great Pacer".I mean how many pacers right now can be regarded as great?? Atmost Glen,Jason,Pollock and Gough!!

Nehra was never such a good pacer, he was decent.I'm sorry to say that he has just failed to improve, infact has gone the opposite way.India had success with Srinath and to a certain degree with Prasad, and now we have Zaheer Khan, again a good pacer , but by no mean great.
Right now India need 3-4 real good pacers, to expect to get Great pacers in the team at once is like asking for too much!

V Reddy

International Debutant
Nehra's Bowling has really gone bad since the ENG tour. He used to swing the ball a long way. During the WI tour even Holding said that he was looking forward to seeing him in ENG after the amount of swing he got in WI. It just vanished :O:(

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
That is a very stupid statement, showing how ignorant some people can be.

Then there is Mumbai's Avishkar Salvi, he is suppose to have the most deadly yorkers in the game.
:O

V Reddy

International Debutant
I wonder why wasn't Rayudu picked. Surely he is in the best 30 players. He scored another century today.