• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India A tour of zimbabwe and kenya

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He was originally a batsman IIRC. I think he is a converted keeper for Haryana - that may explain why he has bowled a bit as well.
I see, still seems very odd that Parthiv Patel wasn't named as the wicket keeper, even if he does get to don the gloves at some stage.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
I would think that India A should comfortably overcome Kenya and Zimbabwe, but if those players I mentioned put in good individual performances then it will do their national chances no harm.
Maybe I'm just completely cynical about the whole tour. I just would've thought a better tour would be India A vs. Zim first team. I mean, didn't the first team get thrashed by the Australia academy this sort of time this year? Or maybe I remember wrong.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maybe I'm just completely cynical about the whole tour. I just would've thought a better tour would be India A vs. Zim first team. I mean, didn't the first team get thrashed by the Australia academy this sort of time this year? Or maybe I remember wrong.
Ah, I'm pretty sure that India A will be playing Zimbabwe and Kenya, not their respective A sides. How strong the Zimbabwe side will be could vary greatly, depending on who is available.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah, I'm pretty sure that India A will be playing Zimbabwe and Kenya, not their respective A sides. How strong the Zimbabwe side will be could vary greatly, depending on who is available.
Oops, my bad then :ph34r:

I kind of have to admit I was getting all het up about the whole issue of India going in after WI pulled out and I probably wasn't reading the articles clearly.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
The tour- This tour is a waste. Honestly, India A would be better off playing another top-flight A-team. Last time around, there was Pakistan A. There's none this year.

Arjun Yadav- We may share a name, but this selection is laugh-out-loud matter. What is he? A frontline batsman? He's got an average less than 30! A frontline bowler? He's bowled three (or so) overs an innings, and doesn't have too many wickets! I'm not too sure he's a good fielder- HYD are an average fielding side. This is a classic case of yet another star-son having it easy. The list goes on- Patel, Binny, Gaikwad...

Mahesh Rawat- Not again! This bloke opened the innings when Haryana was still in Plate, for a few matches, and once they're promoted, regular keeper Ajay Ratra is dropped and Rawat is behind the stumps. Not surprisingly, they had trouble taking 20 wickets regularly. His wicketkeeping seems to be top stuff, if Cricinfo reports are to be believed. He'll make a competent Number Six.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
No Shikhar Dhawan or Dheeraj Jadhav? Surprising. Anyway, Pujara has been opening regularly, so he can open with Uthappa. Then there's Niraj Patel, who was once a regular opener for Gujarat, but batted down the order for West, and stayed there.
Uthappa, Pujara, Kaif, Badri, Sharma, Parthiv, Pathan, Chawla, Pawar, Yo Mahesh, VRV ... that's my best XI.
Good XI. Looks a strong fielding unit, except, probably, VRV, called the Gateway of India by DNA. A pity they're stuck with Parthiv Patel, though.

Pankaj Singh- This giant from Rajasthan may have been picked for all-round reasons rather than bowling alone. He's quite good on the field, and did rather well as a late-order slogger. At best, he may be a Mashrafe/Robin Singh, since his bowling averages are swollen, except in T20. He may be a regular in ODI's, if nothing else.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
No Shikhar Dhawan or Dheeraj Jadhav? Surprising. Anyway, Pujara has been opening regularly, so he can open with Uthappa. Then there's Niraj Patel, who was once a regular opener for Gujarat, but batted down the order for West, and stayed there.Good XI. Looks a strong fielding unit, except, probably, VRV, called the Gateway of India by DNA. A pity they're stuck with Parthiv Patel, though.

Pankaj Singh- This giant from Rajasthan may have been picked for all-round reasons rather than bowling alone. He's quite good on the field, and did rather well as a late-order slogger. At best, he may be a Mashrafe/Robin Singh, since his bowling averages are swollen, except in T20. He may be a regular in ODI's, if nothing else.
It seems that watch Indian domestic cricket, so can you answer me how quick VRV Singh bowls in Indian domestic cricket?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Better than nothing
As good as nothing. Kenya and Zimbabwe don't provide competitive cricket, and there's no point getting used to conditions here. Even if they're facing club/second County XI teams in Australia or England, they learn a lot more, and are better prepared. In such a tournament, they could have invited another top-flight A team to compete, but that didn't happen.
It seems that watch Indian domestic cricket, so can you answer me how quick VRV Singh bowls in Indian domestic cricket?
With a rough, scratchy action, he bowls regularly over 135km/h. Ideally, he should bowl regularly over 145km/h since he has the right raw material, but fitness is always an issue. You can't expect a seamer to bowl at express pace when you see him trudge along and gift runs in the outfield.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Surely not... I mean, India A are going to absolutely thrash them aren't they?
Yeah. I'd be guessing that the first class teams in India would be mostly better than Zimbabwe and Kenya, so I don't see performances against them being worth much.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know, he seems to be a hard hitting and economical all rounder. Maybe they wanted to give him more time to mature and proveh himself in more matches.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know, he seems to be a hard hitting and economical all rounder. Maybe they wanted to give him more time to mature and proveh himself in more matches.
Praveen Kumar is an ultra-aggressive, no-half measures hitter (makes Dhoni look like a classy frontline batsman) whose defence looks lot more of an attack. He's played as a pinch-hitter regularly for UP and Central, even in first-class matches. He's also been a strike bowler for his team, being the top wicket-taker, often outperforming the famous leggie Piyush Chawla. He should be a top contender not just for India A, but also the main Indian team. With Irfan Pathan out of form and out of action, and the Indian team handicapped without him, it doesn't make sense to ignore Praveen Kumar, who's also had a role to play in a tournament victory for Uttar Pradesh in Ranji.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Just as I mentioned- Sri Lanka A replaces Zimbabwe. Now there's some real competition here. India A have to play their A game more often now.

Then of course, South Africa A will come to India for a tour in September.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Just as I mentioned- Sri Lanka A replaces Zimbabwe. Now there's some real competition here. India A have to play their A game more often now.

Then of course, South Africa A will come to India for a tour in September.
Do you mean Zim have dropped out of this tour?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Hang on...guess where RP Singh is standing?

A fast bowler at point? That's something to think about.

EDIT: Wrong thread...back to topic...

Some selections here just make up the numbers. Yo Mahesh- don't know how fast he is, but he's got better figures than Pankaj Singh, more of a multiple man.

Last edited: