• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose THREE seam bowlers for the all-time ODI XI

Choose THREE seam bowlers for the All-Time ODI XI

• Joel Garner

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • Wasim Akram

Votes: 47 73.4%
  • Waqar Younis

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Glenn McGrath

Votes: 42 65.6%
  • Shaun Pollock

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Richard Hadlee

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Brett Lee

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Shane Bond

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Curtly Ambrose

• Michael Holding

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Dennis Lillee

• Allan Donald

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Andy Roberts

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Bob Willis

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Chaminda Vass

• Makaya Ntini

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Shoaib Akhtar

• Malcolm Marshall

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What if people want two spinners? It would be completely unfair to not allow that option for the voters.
Personally, I'd ask "why would people want 1 spinner" in a ODI team.

Even the best spinner of them all, Murali, probably wouldn't be as much use as 5 of the best seamers.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Personally, I'd ask "why would people want 1 spinner" in a ODI team.

Even the best spinner of them all, Murali, probably wouldn't be as much use as 5 of the best seamers.
Probably not, but there are some people who like to have a spinner for some variety.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Probably not, but there are some people who like to have a spinner for some variety.
Indeed. I argue that what you need is calibre (and I'm not talking about revolver calibre, either). A good bowler is a good bowler - 5 good bowlers are 5 good bowlers. If one of them is a spinner, all well and good. But 5 top-class seamers are just as difficult to score off than 4 top-class seamers and 1 top-class spinner.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed. I argue that what you need is calibre (and I'm not talking about revolver calibre, either). A good bowler is a good bowler - 5 good bowlers are 5 good bowlers. If one of them is a spinner, all well and good. But 5 top-class seamers are just as difficult to score off than 4 top-class seamers and 1 top-class spinner.
No doubt, in the end it just comes down to personal preference and whether you want a 'balanced' attack.