• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose THREE seam bowlers for the all-time ODI XI

Choose THREE seam bowlers for the All-Time ODI XI

• Joel Garner

Votes: 38 59.4%
  • Wasim Akram

Votes: 47 73.4%
  • Waqar Younis

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Glenn McGrath

Votes: 42 65.6%
  • Shaun Pollock

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Richard Hadlee

Votes: 11 17.2%
  • Brett Lee

Votes: 9 14.1%
  • Shane Bond

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Curtly Ambrose

• Michael Holding

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Dennis Lillee

• Allan Donald

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Andy Roberts

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Bob Willis

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Chaminda Vass

• Makaya Ntini

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Shoaib Akhtar

• Malcolm Marshall

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

open365

International Vice-Captain
A great bowler full stop. Could swing it both ways at pace, and with accuracy. What more could you want from an ODI opening bowler?
Like SS said, it matters what he acctualy did, not what he could/should/would have done.

And how would you be able to judge that? I've seen about an overs worth of Marshal in 5 years and you're a year younger than me.

Beleg

International Regular
i'd have voted for donald but i was in a patriotic mode

the best ODI bowler i saw was akram, followed by donald and ambrose. younis, bond, akhtar, murali, saqlain, warne, pollock and vaas follow.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Bowling is where it's most crazy of all to have this blurring of the eras. How on Earth are you seriously supposed to compare Malcolm Marshall and Joel Garner to Wasim Akram, Allan Donald and Glenn McGrath? 8-)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Bowling is where it's most crazy of all to have this blurring of the eras. How on Earth are you seriously supposed to compare Malcolm Marshall and Joel Garner to Wasim Akram, Allan Donald and Glenn McGrath? 8-)
By comparing each to their peers.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
McGrath - 3 world cups don't lie. More often took crucial wickets than not.
Akram - made it talk.
Bond - one of the best SR/ Econ rates in ODI history, even if injury prone.

Honourable mentions to many others incl. Waqar, Donald and of course Liam Plunkett.

Was very hard to leave Joel Garner out of this side as well. Would have him straight in when Bond inevitably breaks down in the warm up.

Last edited:

Days of Grace

International Captain
I am very surprised that Bond has the same number of votes as Younis, when considering that Younis took about 300 more wickets in ODIs than Bond.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I have decided to change the voting for this team. The batsmen (top 6) remain as is. However, I am changing the voting for the bowlers, so one can choose two spinners or just one. So, this thread will now only be for choosing TWO new-ball bowlers. So far, it looks like Wasim and Garner have the vote.

The last two polls will be for an all-rounder (one choice) and the FINAL TWO bowling positions. McGrath will be one of the options (the choice will be between a mix of pacemen and spinners).

Okay? Cheers.

Days of Grace

International Captain
I am very surprised at the lack of votes for Waqar. The man took 4 wickets or more one in every ten matches he played, which is astonishing. Only Saqlain, Lee and Bond have better records in this regard, and they have played far lesser matches.

Is it Waqar's E/R of 4.6 that is turning people off?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am very surprised at the lack of votes for Waqar. The man took 4 wickets or more one in every ten matches he played, which is astonishing. Only Saqlain, Lee and Bond have better records in this regard, and they have played far lesser matches.

Is it Waqar's E/R of 4.6 that is turning people off?
I never considered Waqar TBH. I opted for the economy of Joel Garner, consistency of Glenn McGrath and the variety of Wasim Akram.