• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next generation superstars in cricket - Ian Chappell

tigerPassion

School Boy/Girl Captain
Are we in for a superstar drought after being spoilt for choice in recent times?

A number of special cricketers have transcended their sport in the last decade. Shane Warne, Brian Lara, Sachin Tendulkar, Glenn McGrath, Muttiah Muralitharan, Ricky Ponting and Rahul Dravid have all captured the public imagination for varying reasons, with the underlying cause for celebration being their undoubted skill.

Judging by the furore his ill-fated “pedalo” incident caused at the World Cup, Andrew Flintoff would already have joined that illustrious group if it wasn’t for his dodgy ankle.

Many players who reach this status seem to attract headlines that aren’t always related to their cricketing feats and whilst Flintoff is a long way from reaching Warne’s legendary status, he is a magnet for the English tabloids. However, it could be that Flintoff’s troublesome ankle will turn into his “Achilles’ heel” and cause him to fall short of exalted status.

Tendulkar has shown it isn’t compulsory to attract headlines for “after hours” activities to attain rock star celebrity but very few cricketers attain his elevated income level. And anyway, now that Warne is retired from the international scene and the media seem content to let him lead a peaceful existence, it’s become obvious his celebrity was mostly related to his genius as a cricketer.

Warne’s Hampshire teammate Kevin Pietersen is another whose aggressive style and extrovert nature lend themselves to controversy, conjecture and a large pay packet. He’s the current player bordering on super stardom, although his move away from a rock n roll lifestyle to a more settled existence has perhaps slowed his progress. However, a monster Ashes series in 2009 would seal his pedigree.

Monty ‘Panadol’

Of the burgeoning bowlers, Monty Panesar and Mohammad Asif are the two most likely to make a big splash. Panesar is a top-class attacking spinner, who already has a ten wicket match performance to his name and a raucous international following gained through an infectious enthusiasm for the game. Nicknamed Monty “Panadol” by Rod Marsh when he first attended the academy, Panesar is turning out to be a headache only for opposing batsmen.

Asif is a very talented bowler; when I first saw him in Sri Lanka he made the ball talk. He’s averaging almost five wickets a Test at this early stage and he’s also been tainted by a drugs scandal. He’s a young man with an engaging smile and an abundance of character and it’s to be hoped the drugs charge was a case of either being unfairly maligned or poorly advised.

Asif attracted widespread controversy in the company of teammate Shoaib Ahktar, who would’ve made the list for the last decade if it weren’t for his spasmodic appearances on the field, so let’s hope the younger fast bowler doesn’t follow suit.

There are other players who had a fleeting glimpse of stardom but for varying reasons have disappeared from the limelight. Virender Sehwag’s audacious batting had him earmarked but he’s been sidelined by a horrible form slump. And Irfan Pathan had the film star looks, the deadly late swing and cavalier approach to batting that had most Indians ready to consign their Kapil Dev posters to the bottom drawer but the left-hander has since lost his way.

Dhoni, Ashraful good

There are a number of players, who have been around just long enough to hint at bigger things to come but there are two who intrigue with their starkly contrasting personalities — Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Bangladesh’s Mohammad Ashraful.

Dhoni is an outgoing character whose thunderous strokeplay lends itself to a large legion of fans and lavish endorsements. If he can maintain his batting exploits and improve his keeping he could rise to the ranks of superstar. Ashraful is an interesting case; he has loads of talent and the ability to thrill crowds with his daring stroke play.

He’s only just approaching his 23rd birthday despite debuting in 2001 and he’s also been burdened with the captaincy of an over-matched team. Nevertheless, judging by his latest Test century, the captaincy may provide the inspiration to bring much-needed maturity to his batting, making him a standout performer in a beleaguered Bangladesh outfit.

This may seem like lean pickings after the star-laden period we’ve just experienced but never under estimate cricket’s ability to spring a surprise.
The game has a habit of suddenly spawning rising stars and the media, with its insatiable appetite, does the rest.

http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/extracover/content/current/story/301227.html

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Don't much care about the prima-donna batting superstars. Tests could use some more bowling superstars though. But, even without those superstars, most of the games are ending with a positive result, which means that people are finding ways to take twenty wickets consistently, so I am pretty happy overall with the state of the game. It would be nice to see some first class fast bowling demolitions time to time though.

The batting in ODIs definitely needs some reigning in, however.

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
I don't think there is anything to be worried about if we like worshipping superstars. After all, all it takes is your own style, a small-to-medium string of good performances and one seems to be elevated to that level. I doubt we will see too many players of the level of the above mentioned players because it seems that nowadays most players are looking to become all-rounders.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't much care about the prima-donna batting superstars. Tests could use some more bowling superstars though. But, even without those superstars, most of the games are ending with a positive result, which means that people are finding ways to take twenty wickets consistently, so I am pretty happy overall with the state of the game. It would be nice to see some first class fast bowling demolitions time to time though.

The batting in ODIs definitely needs some reigning in, however.
Whilst everything you say is true, its pretty irrelevant to Chappell's main point.

Not only must you be extremely good to be a superstar, but you need a unique trait, whether it be looks, charimsa, personality or something else that very few have. Other than Sachin and Dravid, most of those names mentioned in the 90s were true characters on top of being absolutely brilliant.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Monty Panesar is over rated by everyone on the planet, the guy's a decent spinner like but he's abysmal in ODIs and i don't think he's going to be able to beat the limitations that being a finger spinner brings with it.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Whilst everything you say is true, its pretty irrelevant to Chappell's main point.

Not only must you be extremely good to be a superstar, but you need a unique trait, whether it be looks, charimsa, personality or something else that very few have. Other than Sachin and Dravid, most of those names mentioned in the 90s were true characters on top of being absolutely brilliant.
I realize it was a tangent. I was just saying, to me, it doesn't really matter if there are no superstars.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Looks like Ian Chappell didn't write the article. I dont understand the point of this article.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

Me, I'd argue that Dravid and Tendulkar are true characters, and two guys who it's essential to have. A humble genius >>>> just about anything for me.

Allan Donald was another.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Monty Panesar is over rated by everyone on the planet, the guy's a decent spinner like but he's abysmal in ODIs and i don't think he's going to be able to beat the limitations that being a finger spinner brings with it.
He's a bit of a character simply because he is different. Coming from England and being a decent spinner, you're always going to get hyped up a bit more than usual, but being a Sheikh (sp?) means you will applauded even more because of that difference. Of course the enthusiasm that Panesar has and brings to the game is another reason why he is so popular, not just with the crowds but within his own team. That's the primary reason I like him, his enthusiasm is contagious.

Perm

Ian Chappell said:
Are we in for a superstar drought after being spoilt for choice in recent times?
No, I don't think so. We may not have the same calibre of players, any era will struggle to match up to Warne, Lara and McGrath, not to mention those players who are expected to retire in the next few years (Ponting, Muralitharan, Tendulkar). I can't see too many batsman being able to rise up and reach the heights that the batsman of this era have reached, Michael Clarke, Alistair Cook and Kevin Pietersen are three batsman who are likely candidates to push upwards and be leading lights for the next generation. AB de Villiers, Yuvraj Singh and Ramnaresh Sarwan could also be thrown into the mix, as they mature and become regulars in both formats then I think we could see some increased productivity from them.

On the bowling side of things I think Mohammad Asif is the obvious candidate to reach the dizzying heights of Glenn McGrath and coming from Pakistan he has a fine heritage of fast bowling to uphold, so far in his career he has shown potential of being able to do that. Sreesanth is another I beleive could be leading the pack in a few years time as he looks to have the same sort of ability as Asif but with more fiery aggression and less control, something he needs to work on if he wants to improve his game. Lasith Malinga showed at the 2007 World Cup that he will be a superstar in the future, even if it's not purely because of his bowling ability. His round arm action lends a unique nature to his bowling and Sri Lanka's bowlking attack and the yorkers that he can produce are almost unplayable. Monty Panesar and Umar Gul are also bowlers likely to have great success in the future and there are many other potential candidates, such as James Franklin, Dale Steyn, Jerome Taylor and James Anderson.

Obviously there will also be superstars of the game that don't attain this status purely because of their feats on the field. MS Dhoni is one player likely to do this and I beleive he already has a cult following in India despite his average performances in Test cricket to date, Monty Panesar is similar in that regard as he has shown some ineptitude in one form of the game and good success in the other, as I mentioned earlier I think the different nature of Panesar as a person will lend himself to superstardom. Mohammad Ashraful is an interesting case, a player who has every shot at his disposal and who has player some scintilating innings for Bangladesh. Inconsistency is his problem, and with batting averages in the low twenties he will struggle to attain superstardom unless he starts to find consistency with his batting and leads his country like the mature man that he will come to be.

Perm

I am also very surprised that Chappell didn't mention Dwayne Bravo. He's one of the more obvious candidates to be a superstar IMO.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
ok here goes seeing as Perm is disappointed in the lack of response in this thread:

Future Superstars

Piyush Chawla
Benjamin HilfenHaus
Jamshed Ahmed
Manoj Tiwary
Varun Chopra
Kourie du Plessis