• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next generation superstars in cricket - Ian Chappell

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
ok here goes seeing as Perm is disappointed in the lack of response in this thread:

Future Superstars

Piyush Chawla
Benjamin HilfenHaus
Jamshed Ahmed
Manoj Tiwary
Varun Chopra
Kourie du Plessis
Whose he when his at home?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
What?. I really don't think that had anything to do with your accusation against Barney Rubble.
Not intentionally, no, but it hurts whenever someone says what Perm said earlier, because I do believe there's a certain amount of stereotyping in cricket, about Sikhs (especially) being good spinners automatically, but I feel like **** every time I'm reminded of the fact that I basically laid everything (which relates to so many people) at the door of poor old Matt who, not surprisingly, took things rather to heart.

bagapath

International Captain
pietersen
asif

thats all. we're in for a drought.

just like we had for a couple of years after the 1992 england - WI series and the following world cup when richards, greenidge, marshall, dujon, imran, botham and gower faded out one after other.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
pietersen
asif

just like we had for a couple of years after the 1992 england - WI series and the following world cup when richards, greenidge, marshall, dujon, imran, botham and gower faded out one after other.
How about Hilfenhaus and Tait?

I would also include Alastair Cook.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
pietersen
asif

Was 1991, and Dujon and Richards hadn't been the force they once were for quite some time before that. It was only in reputation that David Williams and Junior Murray suffered.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not intentionally, no, but it hurts whenever someone says what Perm said earlier, because I do believe there's a certain amount of stereotyping in cricket, about Sikhs (especially) being good spinners automatically, but I feel like **** every time I'm reminded of the fact that I basically laid everything (which relates to so many people) at the door of poor old Matt who, not surprisingly, took things rather to heart.
WTF are you on about?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Haha Richard, it's not always about you. Chill out man.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Not only must you be extremely good to be a superstar, but you need a unique trait, whether it be looks, charimsa, personality or something else that very few have. Other than Sachin and Dravid, most of those names mentioned in the 90s were true characters on top of being absolutely brilliant.
Indeed, top post. I just can't see anyone besides KP having enough flair together with actual talent to become a superstar in the near future (although these things take you by suprise more often than not), same with AFL which seems to be lacking the superstars like we had in the 90s.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha Richard, it's not always about you. Chill out man.
Good grief, I wasn't suggesting anyone was intentionally having a go at me. Just that whenever something like that crops-up, it inevitably reminds me of that terrible incident. Not anyone's fault (other than mine, I suppose, for the stupid thing happening ITFP), just one of those things. Can't have a banner at the top of the forum saying
"DO NOT MENTION..."
I've just got to lump it. :)

A bit like when someone called India a dump a little while ago minds, inevitably, flicked back to a certain thing that we all know about.

EDIT: I suppose "you lads are sticking the knife in" probably does imply I was meaning they were doing it deliberately. Wasn't my intention.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
TBH, much like SS, I don't care if there are no "superstars" as have been described. If we lack the quality of top players we have now, which is actually looking rather likely as things stand, then yes, I'll be dissapointed. But if we a whole heap of gun cricketers along with good depth and several strong sides, I couldn't care less whether the best players are charismatic or not. I do enjoy it when players speak their mind and given genuine opinions in interviews, but aside from that, I do not care if they come across as bland, tbh, as long as they perform to a high standard.

haroon510

International 12th Man
future super stars

Kevin Peiterson
asif
yuvraj singh
ramnaresh sarwan
tait
rose tayler
monty
ashraful

sohummisra

U19 Debutant
I think we are going to see a drought of quality players in their chosen discipline. I think we will see a lot of players who do a little bit of this and a little bit of that fairly well, but few people who will go on to match the records of Ponting, Tendulkar, Warnie and Murali.

You can save this all for a well-in-the-future Greigy. ;)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I recognised Billie Piper (;)) but don't watch Dr Who so am unaware of particulars such as that.