• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Brad Hogg ?!?!?

sean

School Boy/Girl Captain
Why did they pick Brad Hogg to play as the spinner for the WACA ODI?

He certainly wouldn't be good enough in my books to hold his place as a batsman or a bowler in any ODI team. Maybe the selectors intend on playing the four quicks, or dropping Watson for Hogg?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Where does that leave MacGill and Hauritz especially?

Its a decision from left-field that the Channel 9 commentators weren't really in favour of yesterday.

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hogg is decent, i mean MacGill or Hauritz are better choices but maybe they were thinking about the batting side of things and the gap Warne leaves there.

The Argonaut

State Vice-Captain
What a joke. Hauritz needs all the experience he can get before the World Cup. He should have been picked. He is a fair enough bat to replace Warne. The only thinking I can come up with is the home ground advantage for Hogg and that Hauritz will play in the new year.

Simon

I dont think that would be right, they will play Hogg in the rest of series if he plays well, however if he doesnt i suggest Higgs replace him.
:D

Blewy

Cricketer Of The Year
Hogg was a standout in the Australia 'A' Match against England whilst Hauritz was average against SL...

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
So its sounds as if you are implying that the selectors based their selection on one performance.

Simon

they probably did, i havent ever seen hogg perform to where he could be Australias 2nd choice spinner.

deckard

U19 Captain
Yeah sometimes i think the selectors have no idea.....they should pick the next best option which would be macgill....

chris.hinton

International Captain
Originally posted by chris.hinton
Brad hogg looks a good Choice, Hauritz bowled very flat last match by all accounts
I apologze it was not last week

but i read this from Nov 13 2002

Hauritz bowled flat and lacked invention in taking just three wickets for Queensland in the Pura Cup match against Victoria this week.

This was from the theage.com.au

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Andre
Erm, Chris, Hauritz did the opposite. Dunno what reports you are getting.
Probaby from outer space :alien8::alien8::alien8:

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't know why they have picked Brad Hogg either...he's an average Chinaman bowler and an average batsman, and if he was in England which his FC Averages like that he wouldn't be in a County Team let alone the ODI one...30 with the Bat and 40 Odd with the ball...oh yes...that's great :rolleyes: and 33 with the ball in Domestic One Day? I just don't know :rolleyes:

Bazza

International 12th Man
Originally posted by Tim
So its sounds as if you are implying that the selectors based their selection on one performance.
This is possible, but sometimes these matches are designed to see who puts their hand in the air against quality opposition, and if Hogg did this, does he not deserve a chance at least to show what he can do?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well in previous ODIs and a Test he has shown his ability to not take any Wickets or score any runs. :lol: Anyway against England he took 3 for 30 odd but hardly set the world on fire...

Rich2001

International Captain
Well I guess this should explain it a bit more...

"Commenting on the squad, NSP Chairman Trevor Hohns said: "Brad Hogg is well performed for both Australia A and he's done well in ING Cup cricket for Western Australia for some time.

He's a good fielder, more than useful in the middle order and has bowled well this season. He offers the whole package and this is an excellent opportunity to look at another spinner following Shane Warne's injury. "

As it says it gives them another oppotunity to look at alternatives, as both Hogg and Hauritz are in the 30 man squad.. this is only the sqaud for the SL game so maybe they plan to rotate both players over the next few games to get a better picture.

[Edited on 18/12/02 by Rich2001]

Top_Cat

May I remind people that Brad Hogg played Test cricket for Australia too. Sure it took a few injuries for that to happen but he HAS been a pretty decent spinner for WA for quite some time and I can only imagine that the reason he's being picked is because he bats beter than both McGill and Hauritz.