• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose opening batsmen for all-time ODI XI

Please choose two opening batsmen for the All-time ODI XI

• Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 47 71.2%
  • Sourav Ganguly

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • Sanath Jayasuriya

• Saeed Anwar

• Mark Waugh

• Matthew Hayden

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Chris Gayle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Desmond Haynes

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Gary Kirsten

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gordon Greenidge

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Herschille Gibbs

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I understand perm...Doesnt it look silly when Richards told that , he disregards the SR when the if the bowler bowls well. A hard hitter will definetly score at any type of bowler IMO
As I said, he may score a few runs at a decent rate but will usually be dismissed due to the accurate bowling. However, sometimes there will be accurate bowling but the batsman is still able to dominate through power and inovation. Those times are quite rare though.

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
As I said, he may score a few runs at a decent rate but will usually be dismissed due to the accurate bowling. However, sometimes there will be accurate bowling but the batsman is still able to dominate through power and inovation. Those times are quite rare though.

A complete :yes:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But really, does he need to? He has saved quite a few games for Australia batting at his normal pace and turned what could've possibly been a loss if he failed with the bat, or a draw if he batted slowly, into a win and I think that is a good talent to have. Yes sometimes he does fail to save his team when perhaps a slower scoring batsman would've been able to do the job and maybe salvage a draw because he takes less risks, but those times are compensated for by the innings that Gilchrist plays to win a game for his team.
No, there has never been any case where something has called for Gilchrist to play slowly. It makes no sense for him to try, really, because it doesn't come naturally to him. You're always best served playing what you feel best at. Only try to change if something doesn't work, and it has worked well enough for Gilchrist for him never to need to try anything else.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And if a batsman scores quickly, then bowling economy rates are going to be higher. You do realise that sometimes the batsman can attack decent bowling and score a few runs? Yes the chances are he will be dismissed, but sometimes it does happen.
Sometimes, indeed. However, if you try to attack good bowling, the odds are very much with the bowler. The bowler has ball in hand, and has the best chance of dictating the pace of play. That's why I always talk about bowling-ERs as opposed to batting-SRs.

If the bowling's good, you're far better served going for 230 and getting it than going for 290 and being bowled-out for 150 in the 35th over. A mistake England have made, many times.