• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose opening batsmen for all-time ODI XI

Please choose two opening batsmen for the All-time ODI XI

• Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 47 71.2%
  • Sourav Ganguly

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • Sanath Jayasuriya

• Saeed Anwar

• Mark Waugh

• Matthew Hayden

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Chris Gayle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Desmond Haynes

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Gary Kirsten

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gordon Greenidge

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Herschille Gibbs

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Tendulkar and Hayden, graciousness and hard hitting, both scoring fast and highly.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Point is, you could have graciousness and hard-hitting with Mark Waugh and Jayasuriya, too, and it'd probably be equally effective.

adharcric

International Coach
Point is, you could have graciousness and hard-hitting with Mark Waugh and Jayasuriya, too, and it'd probably be equally effective.
Considering we'd be seeing those two with the same number of votes as Tendulkar in that case, probably not.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Quoted by Richard: "Hussain's record is better than Hayden's if you look beyond the obvious"

I want some of what you're on!

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I can't believe the number of poeple picking Gilchrist ....reckon Anwar was easily a better player than him and Ganguly too IMO.

Tendulkar and Anwar for mine.

bagapath

International Captain
I can't believe the number of poeple picking Gilchrist ....reckon Anwar was easily a better player than him and Ganguly too IMO.

Tendulkar and Anwar for mine.
but you need to have a wicket keeper in the team anyway. gilly averages 36 at a strike rateway above 90. he has scored loads of centuries and fifties as well. while it may be true that anwar and ganguly were marginally better batsman, as an overall package gilchrist has to be the second name in an all time one day XI, after tendulkar as the first opener.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
but you need to have a wicket keeper in the team anyway. gilly averages 36 at a strike rateway above 90. he has scored loads of centuries and fifties as well. while it may be true that anwar and ganguly were marginally better batsman, as an overall package gilchrist has to be the second name in an all time one day XI, after tendulkar as the first opener.
why can't he be named as the 'keeper...why bring in a lesser opener just because "the guy can also keep"? it's such a ridiculous argument...he can 'keep and bat in the middle order as well and leave the door open for a much classier opener...

bagapath

International Captain
why can't he be named as the 'keeper...why bring in a lesser opener just because "the guy can also keep"? it's such a ridiculous argument...he can 'keep and bat in the middle order as well and leave the door open for a much classier opener...
the word "ridiculous" is surprising to me. its not that gilly is a slouch with the bat. he is also a match winning opening batsman - as effective as jayasuriya or anwar on his day. with a far better strike rate than anwar and ganguly and hayden and a better average and strike rate than jayasuriya. has scored enough runs and played considerable number of match winning knocks to be considered purely as a batter too. the keeping ability just seals the case. he is a certainty. the "classier" openers can enter the playing field with the drinks trolley!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
the word "ridiculous" is surprising to me. its not that gilly is a slouch with the bat. he is also a match winning opening batsman - as effective as jayasuriya or anwar on his day. with a far better strike rate than anwar and ganguly and hayden and a better average and strike rate than jayasuriya. has scored enough runs and played considerable number of match winning knocks to be considered purely as a batter too. the keeping ability just seals the case. he is a certainty. the "classier" openers can enter the playing field with the drinks trolley!
"on his day" just about sums it up...he is not consistent enough to be an opener for an all-time odi xi and his career graph backs up that fact....i was not specifically talking about anwar or ganguly(although anwar would definitely be better than gilchrist), there are other openers in that list who are even better than these guys, the point is gilchrist is so far from being the 2nd best opener in one dayers(tendulkar being the inarguable no: 1) that he shouldn't even be in contention for that spot....i can understand him being in contention for the team because of his good 'keeping skills and exceptional batting(that great strike rate that everyone throws around in his defence), he can serve an all-time team well as a 'keeper and an explosive middle order bat....

Days of Grace

International Captain
For me, the all-time world XI should have batsmen batting in the postions that they have been famous for. Gilly has always been an ODI opener.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
For me, the all-time world XI should have batsmen batting in the postions that they have been famous for. Gilly has always been an ODI opener.
once again, setting aside the 'keeper argument, he is just not good enough as an opener to make an all-time side...

R_D

International Debutant
once again, setting aside the 'keeper argument, he is just not good enough as an opener to make an all-time side...
I'd have to agree with Anil here, but in the end you have to look at overall balance of the team and with Gilchrist being the opener/keeper, this leaves alot of room to create the perfetly balanced team.

I'm just suprised people are actually voting for Hayden.

bagapath

International Captain
gilly has done a lot of damage to so many bowlers in the first 15 overs with field restrictions in place. he is the ideal one day opener for me. average above 35. strike rate above 90. lefty, complimenting the right handed sachin at the other end.

i dont think it'll be inappropriate to list the all time one day xi chosen by a panel of experts for cricinfo a couple of months ago.

tendulkar
gilchrist+
richards
ponting
lara
symonds
imran
hadlee
akram
warne
garner

i hope we select a better team. lets wait and see.

The_Bunny

State Regular
gilly has done a lot of damage to so many bowlers in the first 15 overs with field restrictions in place. he is the ideal one day opener for me. average above 35. strike rate above 90. lefty, complimenting the right handed sachin at the other end.

i dont think it'll be inappropriate to list the all time one day xi chosen by a panel of experts for cricinfo a couple of months ago.

tendulkar
gilchrist+
richards
ponting
lara
symonds
imran
hadlee
akram
warne
garner

i hope we select a better team. lets wait and see.
So far this team is almost the same:unsure:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
gilly has done a lot of damage to so many bowlers in the first 15 overs with field restrictions in place. he is the ideal one day opener for me. average above 35. strike rate above 90. lefty, complimenting the right handed
Why not have someone with a much better average and a slightly lower strike-rate like Anwar or Ganguly?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Aside from the fact he hasn't "always" been (played a fair few ODIs before being promoted to open) that's a wholly silly argument - you pick the best team, simple as. You pick the best men to open the batting, and there have been quite a few better ODI openers than Gilchrist. It's perfectly possible that Mahendra Dhoni will become a better wicketkeeper-batsman than him, too.