• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Choose opening batsmen for all-time ODI XI

Please choose two opening batsmen for the All-time ODI XI

• Sachin Tendulkar

Votes: 47 71.2%
  • Sourav Ganguly

Votes: 7 10.6%
  • Adam Gilchrist

Votes: 38 57.6%
  • Sanath Jayasuriya

• Saeed Anwar

• Mark Waugh

• Matthew Hayden

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • Chris Gayle

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Desmond Haynes

Votes: 5 7.6%
  • Gary Kirsten

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gordon Greenidge

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Herschille Gibbs

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

adharcric

International Coach
Gilchrist to accompany Tendulkar. Why? He's an excellent opening batsman and superb keeper who will be better utilized at the top than at 6 or 7.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Okay, here we go!!

Apologies if this has been done before, but I haven't seen a thread on it.
Sorry, but that's a poor list. There are some wholly mediocre players in there (Hayden, Gibbs, Gilchrist, some might say Gayle). Nick Knight > all the aforementioned as far as I'm concerned.

Nonetheless, I'd go for Ganguly and Anwar myself.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sorry, but that's a poor list. There are some wholly mediocre players in there (Hayden, Gibbs, Gilchrist, some might say Gayle). Nick Knight > all the aforementioned as far as I'm concerned.

Knight>Gilchrist? I doubt it, maybe as a pure ODI batsman but the fact Gilchrist keeps wicket must swing it in his favour. I agree with your first sentence though.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag

You have no idea on what your talking about... Nick Knight was average. If you don't want Gilly in your team which keeper are you going to pick?

R_D

International Debutant
picked Sachin and Mark Waugh but on second thought should've picked Gilchrist for his keeping as well.

Mark and Sachin opening together would be pure pleasure.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
You have no idea on what your talking about... Nick Knight was average. If you don't want Gilly in your team which keeper are you going to pick?
Rubbish, you have no idea what you're talking about if you think Knight was average. Where have I once mentioned wicketkeepers here? I'm talking purely and simply about opening the batting in ODIs, and Knight was better at that than Gilchrist, simple as.

IMO.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Knight>Gilchrist? I doubt it, maybe as a pure ODI batsman but the fact Gilchrist keeps wicket must swing it in his favour.
I'm only talking about as an opening batsman, and yes, given that, I would indeed say Knight > Gilchrist. And Gilchrist has had far more opportunity, too.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, whatever. Would you honestly vote for Knight for your top two opening batsmen?
No, of course not, that wasn't my point. As I stated, I'd have Ganguly and Anwar. But Knight is a better player than several of those on the current list.

Fiery

Banned
I'm only talking about as an opening batsman, and yes, given that, I would indeed say Knight > Gilchrist. And Gilchrist has had far more opportunity, too.
oh no...not another Hussain > Hayden argument. To suggest Nick Knight is/was > Gilchrist is itstl

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Knight's simplistic career record is better than Gilchrist's FFS... this doesn't even remotely resemble the Hussain-Hayden case.

Hussain's record is better than Hayden's if you look beyond the obvious, but with Knight and Gilchrist you don't even need to do that!